R U eally OLD

M

manny15

'Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?''We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him. 'All the food was slow.' 'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?' 'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained. ! 'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.' By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it : Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis , set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears & Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died. My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 5. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people. I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.' When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swu ng down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had. We didn't have a car until I was 4. It was an old black Dodge. I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line. Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was. All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which he got to keep 2 cents. He had to get up at 6AM every morning. On Saturday, he had to collect the 42 cents from his customers. His favorite customers were the ones who gave him 50 cents and told him to keep the change. His least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day. Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive. If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing. Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it? MEMORIES from a friend : My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old. How many do you remember? Head lights dimmer switches on the floor. Ignition switches on the dashboard.Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall. Real ice boxes.Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards. Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.Using hand signals for cars without turn signals. Older Than Dirt Quiz : Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about Ratings at the bottom. 1 Blackjack chewing gum2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water 3. Candy cigarettes4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles 5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes 6 . Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers 7. Party lines on the telephone8. Newsreels before the movie 9. P.F. Flyers10. Butch wax 11 TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels [if you were fortunate]) 12. Peashooters 13. Howdy Doody 14. 45 RPM records 15. S& H greenstamps 16 Hi-fi's17. Metal ice trays with lever 18 Mimeograph paper19 Blue flashbulb20 Packards21. Roller skate keys22. Cork popguns 23. Drive-ins24. Studebakers25. Wash tub wringers If you remembered 0-5 = You're still youngIf you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt! I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.Don't forget to pass this along!! Especially to all your really OLD friends...

How you brought back memories with your quiz!Damn Manny,I got 100% on this test.(ROD) PS What about the Rootbeer,Orange soda,and Grape Nehi soda kept cold in the slide rack pop machines kept full of water?

enter_Key01.jpg

Try it once in a while. :)

My Mom would do the ironing with the old water sprinkle soda bottle while watching "Queen for a day" on the B&W tv.The first TV show I ever saw in color was Bonanza (at my rich uncle's house).Snow White drive in was the first burger chain I can remember.My Dad never owned a rifle with a scope ( he had two a 25-35 & a 25-20) I still have them both....Jim

I didn't do newspapers, my kid brother did. I did odd jobs in winter (shovel walks, clean snow off cars, rake leaves, split or stack firewood. In spring or summer tended gardens of people away on trips, cared for their pets, fed and watered horses,etc.
I had an old hand-me-down Schwinn (Dad had painted to look new) and a heavy wood-handled push mower I could barely muster strength for (I was a skinny kid). I towed the thing all over a Company town, mowing lawns for $.50-$.75 depending on size of lawn. I got 100% on your quiz-some other things I remember: 5-cent a scoop ice cream cones, 5 cent a bottle coke,RC cola,Shasta (cans),7UP,Hires Root Beer. When Dad gassed up at the local Texaco (he worked there part-time) free Fire Chief lollypops- and S & H Green Stamps given out with purchase (Dad gave me enough to get my first basketball!)With The Space Race getting up at 4-5am to watch "Vanguard" rockets launch our first sattelites. Bazooka or Fleer bubble gum,Topps bubble gum w/baseball cards.Pinball machines @ 5cents a game, at our local 4-lane bowling alley: 10 cents a line bowling during kids hours. 10 cents a game at the local pool hall,cherry or vanilla coke or "wild Indian" soda at the local fountain. Red Ryder BB gun (w/saddle ring). My favorite TV shows were all westerns: Cisco Kid, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry,Lone Ranger, Wild Bill Hickok,Lash LaRue, ...there were others.Lunch at the local hamburger stand: for 35 cents you could get a burger, fries, and a coke. Locally, we had a "Mr. Spudnut" bakery, the donuts were 7 cents each.If you bought a dozen, it was always "a baker's dozen". There's probably much, more to recall...and, story, but I just had to add to your post. Thanks for making me take time to reflect!

We got phone service when i was 15 and TV at 16. Never did have electricity other than the generator and a huge bank of batteries. We started work at daylight, ate at 8:00 am, worked until noon, ate some more, off for the day at 2 or 3pm. We had a shop, did all the wielding, tractor rebuilding or repair, fixed everything right there on the ranch. Town was 8 miles away. I made the round trip on my 3 speed bicycle many many times. Going to school was on the bus. We never got an allowance yet wanted for little. Ammo was cheap and always in good supply. Several big trips every year, grandpa raised beef for the holy ghost Portuguese festival where we'd all eat our fill of Supas, Grandma was a SF giants fan so we'd all go see them beat, hopefully, the Dodgers, and watch Willie Mays hit a home run. Couple trips to the county fair, stock barns and the only time i ever saw grandpa bet...the horse races. Fair food and hot summer nights, pretty girls, photo booths, sneak a kiss and watch the Fireworks holding hands, try and find the car. Roundups! Roundups Roundups, by the time ours were done there was the neighbors to help with. Seemed we branded, cut, ticked, earmarked, vaccinated, dehorned, cauterized, and KRS'd cattle forever every spring. Every calf was mothered to figure which brand it got and roped by teams of two, no squeezes. When the calves were finally done it was time to make barley. We hardly ever made barley cause it didn't rain enough or it rained too much. So, we'd make hay instead. Cut er green, windrow, and on foggy days, bale them up. Put that hay in the barns, several barns, thousands of bales. I started out shoving a big prong like hook in the bale, was about all i could do back then cause i was a tad but i could do that so then, it was MY JOB! Loved it.

I could go on and on! those we're the days my friend. Everybody should be able to grow up on a farm/ranch with loving but hard working grandparents. I miss them dearly!!

Joey

Well.........I guess the correct answer is...YES, I am really old.

The things we grew up with, that everyone thinks are funny now, is what shaped America in the 40's, 50's and 60's.

I wouldn't say it was a better time, but it was way slower and you had more time to appreciate what was going on around you. I never believed it then, but I was living some of the best days of my life.

The hunting trips with family and friends were awesome!

We had fast food.....that was a sandwich my little sister would run out to the baler or the bankout wagon I was working on. You ate it fast and got back to work...

"Fearless Fosdick" on the radio and "Flash Gordon" on the Saturday matinee.....when we could drive the 30 miles to the theatre.

Don't get me wrong, when I was 14 thru 18, I HATED IT!!!!I was sick to death of cowchit, irrigation pipe, hay bales and barb wire! The town kids had it dicked as far as I was concerned.

I am glad I am old enough to have experienced all my history, thank you very much!

Statistics will show that a lot of you reading this will not reach my age!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-09 AT 09:06AM (MST)[p]Great post and I must be "older than dirt" as well, because those examples are all right out of my fondest childhood memories...
I sat in the back of a station wagon with no seat belts, rode my bike to school or walked everyday rain or shine, wore Levi jeans, Jack Purcell sneakers, white penny's towncraft tee shirts, always had a job either delivering newspapers or working at the little corner market, mowed the lawn with a push mower, only got to watch TV with the family at night after homework and chores were done(it was a small b&w screen in a huge cabinet) and the folks chose the programing, but if I was good and home sick Mom would let me watch Sheriff John, I love Lucy or Engineer Bill, I always stood up when a woman came into the room, held the chair or opened the door for any woman, made my first skate board by sawing a roller skate in half and screwing it to a 2x4, when we took a vacation it was car camping in the local mountains, ate fried baloney sandwiches.
Boy this is fun...

Stop Global Whining

well i'm gettin there lol > ate fried baloney sandwiches.< i LOVE fried baloney sandwiches ,,,, a couple of years ago my oldest daughter sat down and started watching tv with me, promtly started cracking up laughing and said this show is GREAT i've never seen it before when did it come on? well guess what the "show" was? was good ol bugs bunny LOL she'd NEVER even heard of him ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, SIGH

18 out of 25 for me....AND I HATED BLACK JACK CHEWING GUM....whats wrong with metal ice cube trays with handles?...I still use them..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom