Quick plumbing question

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I'm getting a new washing machine and decided to replace the water shut off valves since they are 40 years old.

After applying new pipe thread compound, do I have to wait until it "dries" before turning the water back on?

Eel

I was told that as long as you tighten it down good it won't matter and that the pressure in the pipes help seal it. But then again, you may not want to listen to me because the only thing I truly know about plumbing are these 5 things:

1. Payday is on Friday, if you don't work through at least Thursday, you won't get paid.

2. Crap don't flow uphill.

3. The only way to prevent plumber's crack is to wear overalls.

4. A plumber's best friends are a plunger and a tetanus shot.

5. Don't chew your fingernails.

Now, on the other hand, if you use some turtle grease made from rendered turtle fat - yes, you can use your pipes right away!

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Got it!!!! It doesn't leak either. (so far)

Roy, I was with you all the way. I had 3 options ready to go:

1. Pipe Thread Compound.

2. Cream of Wheat. (that stuff is stronger than concrete once it dries)

3. Turtle grease.

Eel

P.S. I'm 65 years old and this is the first plumbing job I've done that has gone smooth. True story!

Any Chance We could See a Pic of the way You Had the Pipe Wrench on the Valve/Fitting?

Uncle sage might School you if you didn't use the Wrench Properly!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Well elkassassin, my pipe wrenches are "antique". I got them from my dad many years ago. They were old then. They last a long time if you use them right.:) Good thing I use them the correct way because I'm too old to change:)

Eel

LOL, Eel, you can use them anyway that you want to, as long as, they are your own tools and i'm not paying you $25. p/hr cash to get a job done. :)

Steve, yes, as soon as you put it on you're good to tighten. I'm to the point that i usually only use thread sealant, recto-seal #5, on gas pipe. Most of the time on the rest, i find easy perfect use with Teflon tape.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Joey, the guy at the hardware story where I bought the valves said I could use Teflon tape, but I wasn't sure he knew what he was talking about. That's good to know, thanks!

Eel

Hey Eel!

If you're gonna use your Wrench Backwards!

You might wanna wrap your Teflon on backwards too!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

$25 an hour cash huh sage???...........that's pretty dang good money. .....and you don't have to deal with those pesky payroll taxes and workers comp payments. Should put you at quite an advantage over your legitimate competition too.......wonder if Bess has ever thought of trying that???

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photo
s2/6372image.jpg

Stiring the $hit again i see, are you going back on your meds soon?

That guy has his own Business, he subbed from me and pays his own taxes and i pay what my, also highly paid, CPA from a reputable Susanville firm, tells me i have to.

I pay well for help because i don't need or want a guy full time. When i need a guy, i want him to come running knowing i'll take care of him. I'll pay up to $50. per hour for a good man in the right circumstance and $100. p/hr if he brings along his mini excavator.

Anyway, that guy is history. A guy that can do a few things making decent jack on my dime tells me straight up that he's too old to learn, doesn't matter if i need him or not, it didn't take me long to realize that i didn't want him on my jobsite.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Just wondering when Americans are gonna Stand their Ground & Say:Enough Taxes,More than Enough Taxes?

The World Keeps Spinnin I Guess but JUDAS!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom