Question

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
I found a 6x6 during the Deer hunt. He was in a small Basin. Would you go there first to see if he might still be there or go where there might be more Elk as I have pictures from the other side of the mountain that a friend took- 60 to 70 Elk.

Thanks I think I am leaning on there. I have help coming with me and am glad as I know I could use some support and not be so worried. The cold here has been relentless. I sure hope he is still there. It is a good place for hiding out.

Well I found the big 6x6 this morning at 0815 hours. The thing is that he found me too just before. He was 700 yards . I don't shoot over about 450 to 500 on Elk. Less than that on Deer. He left the area like he was a Bighorn. I went up and over a saddle above him but never got another glimpse. To be continued next week. My feet are throbbing after the 4 Mike's or so of rough nasty terrain.

Keep us posted !!! I'm done for the year and I like to keep up on a good hunting story

Well guys I went back on opener and was about a half mike from the road when I caught movement and saw him again - he was about 600 or so yards which is long for a shot. He saw me too and I froze. He began moving slowly up and over a really steep ridge . Knowing I couldn't press him I waited then made a half loop around to the North where he headed.
I didnt see him after enough travel and elevation but I did sit and glass for awhile.
I think I will go back because he is so big, instead of going to a new place. If I don't find him in a couple days I will move on.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-19 AT 10:32AM (MST)[p]My day off today but the 7.3 wont start unless I plug it in. So I found the main battery was at 400 amps. Went and picked up a new battery should be good now. I will get some chores done and head back in the morning for the big elk.
I will have 3 days this time so if the same Bull is gone I have a couple places where there should be some elk and good for glassing them .

Small basin... 1 6x6 bull you're obviously are interested in .. go kill him!!! No questions asked...

He wasn't there at least I didn't see him this morning. I went to a different canyon in the afternoon and saw no sign. Just like Elk are just teasing me so I will have to stay on my toes every minute until I can unleash a Barnes bullet at a big boy. It was a clear sky and warm today so I enjoyed basking in the afternoon sun. Driving out there was a semi overturned on a corner- I would guess the load shifted. 20 tons of 2x4s ! Home Depot ain't getting those boards.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-19 AT 08:56PM (MST)[p]Back home again. Glassed 4 canyons and no elk but they aren't gone. That is hunting and I will try again next week. Weird but they must have found some seclusion. It was much warmer and full moon again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom