Question for you antelope experts

W

whs

I was wondering how the rut effects the bucks. If they have been coming to a watering hole. Will they move on to chase the gals. Or will they mainly focus on the doe's near his watering hole?

Reason being. I found this buck, he is the one that I want to chase, but with the rut coming soon will he move on or will he stay put? There is another waterhole about 2 miles to the north west of where he is watering at. There is also alot of antelope in the area where he hangs out. Which is on a plateau with junipers. The water hole that he is using now is down in the valley floor. But up on the plateau the other waterhole is a just a short 1 to 1 1/2 miles away.. Do I need to worry about him moving to the other area?

Also does a full moon effect the antelope much? I am under the impression the antelope do not water at night, so I doubt there will be much to worry about as far as the full moon goes this next week?

As long as there are does there he will stay in the same general area. When the rut is in full swing, he'll spend most of his time dogging does so you will have to avoid detection by does in the heard. An antelope buck in full rut is not the sharpest critter, but his does have not lost their sense. It can be challenging, but it's an exciting time to hunt. I wouldn't worry too much about the full moon.

These things can run at one mile per minute. At that speed, they can cover 2 miles in about two minutes. Yah, they'll move around - ALOT!!!! That's why they call it hunging. You have to go out and look for them. You can never tell where they'll be from one minute to another. Good Luck, I'm sure your buck will be there somewhere.

While antelope definitely move fast, their home range is very small in comparison to the amount of ground they can cover in a short time. To me, if a buck moves a mile or two, he's still in the same general area. Even when spooked, a buck will generally come right back. If you are the only one hunting the area, and other things being equal, doesn't seem likely he'll disappear. I have found antelope to be quite predictable in this respect.

Thanks for the info, In all of the scouting and hunting last weekend I am the only guy hunting the area. Plus there is a slim number of tags.

If you can scout the day before the season opens, try and locate him and see where he beds down for the night. Sneak in before dawn and set up and you may have a very good chance of getting him when he leaves his bed and start moving around. He may wait until the sun is up a bit before he gets up from his bed.

RELH

If he is a mature or dominant buck he will have staked out a territory. If you can determine the area he has claimed for his territory you will now where to look for him. Even if his does spook out of his territory he will not usually leave his territory to pursue them. Bucks mark their territory by little piles of poop. They will urinate upon these piles pretty regularly to freshen them up. You will also see them rubbing their faces on sage brush as well. All of these factors help them identify where their territory boundaries are. Occasionally, you will see a buck leave his territory and enter another one if he knows he can dominate the buck which has set up a neighboring territory. This is one reason that decoys tend to work effectively on antelope. If they see a buck inside their territory they will approach him with the intent to run him off. Antelope use a lot of posturing to intimidate their opponents.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom