Question about Zen Rays

gooseslayer

Does anyone in Idaho around the Boise/ Treasure Valley know of anyone whom deals these binos? Or does anyone around here own a pair? Would like to see what all the hype is about...Any help would be appreciated.

Im in Nampa and have a pair and deal with ZR and can get them as well.

Adam

Ridgeline Outdoors Hunt Staff.

I also live in nampa, do you have a shop around here? would like to take a look through them to see what they are like...What's your opinion about them?

93-95% of swaro or zeiss for a good price, Exceptional color fidelity.If I had up to 1K to spend on optics I would buy ZR...Any more than that I would go for Swaros.

Adam
Ridgeline Outdoors Hunt Staff.

I second wapitibob on this one Dan has offered to bowsite members to send them out for shipping price only to be tested for 30 days. Bought some 10x43ed2 and they are pretty nice. Dan is in the Boise area I believe.

Bill

NVGRIZZ, which model did you purchase, what are your thoughts about the glass? Been reading about all the hype, just wondering if it is just people trying to get word out or if they are decent glass for the price, currently have 10X42 monarchs which are ok but don't come close to my buddies swaros which I cannot cough up that much at the moment.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-10 AT 10:23AM (MST)[p]I have 8x43 ZEN. It's something real. That's an upgrade from a really crappy broken binoculars. My initial budget was $300, more like Monarch price range. But I decided to bite the bullet and get the 8x43 ZEN. I don't know how it compares to Swaros, probably not at the same level. But after comparing to a few models in the store, I can tell it is some quality chit..

I have the 8X43 ED2, I am no authority on optics but am very pleased with the binos. I think they are great bang for the buck.

Zen Rays are decent Chinese optics, good bang for the buck, but please don't start comparing them to the better made and far superior performing European, or even Japanese optics. The grassroots marketing that has been done is great and effective, but speaking as a guy with optics background, they simply don't compare with their superiors. Also, never compare optics at the counter in a store.

My only question to anyone who does not like these or believe that they are as good as stated by many people here and other sites is..... Have you looked through them?

If the answer is no then you cannot respond to their optical quality as far as I am concerned.

It is easy to say there is no way they are as good as X,Y or Z but if you haven't looked through them then how can you say no way.

I have them and a Swaro SLC and have compared them closely and can tell you they are equal in clarity to the SLC (I do know clarity is not the only important criteria in optics) I can even say under some conditions they are clearer. That being said I would take my Swaro over the Zen every time as they are more comfortable to me as I have had them for ten years.

I also compared them closely to the Leupold HD and a Meopta and I think they held up to any of these in optics and it is a matter of personal preference from there.

I have not looked through any of the top Japanese models but the mid and low end stuff is not even close to the Zens IMO.

Try them and if you like them great if you don't send them back ( there is a guy on Bowsite who will let you do a try before you buy).

Bill

huntindad4 is right on the money. I've compared them directly to amy trinovid, slc, Leupold GR Hd, Bushnell elite, and they compete with any of them, like it or not. I've found that most of the people who don't like them or bash them think only binocs with Zeiss,Swaro, or Leica logos on them are the only ones who know how to make high class glass. Ain't true anymore. The high $$ alpha stuff won't show you anything a good Zen ED2, Gold Ring Hd, Meopta, Elite, etc won't show you. Just the facts.

I will say it again...They are junk had them and compared them to my dads Minox HG's while the clarity was okay they had a horrible glare problem. I have to say they are a step above Nikon Monarchs but nothing above that at all...In the end sent them back and ordered a pair of Minox HG's if that helps.

I read alot about the glare problem in the reviews before I bought mine and found that if you get the current model it has been eliminated but there may still be some of the old ones out there. Mine do not have the glare issue and in fact when looking towards the sun (not at it but in the direction of it) with the sun just out of view they are clearer and render color better than my SLC.

The shortcomings of Zen IMO is not in clarity or glare but for me it is comfort and ease of viewing. When I look through them if my eyes are not aligned perfectly behind the eyepiece lens there is slight blackout on the edges like when you use a rifle scope and don't get it properly aligned with your eye.Also ergonomically they don't "feel" as good in my hands.

The warranty and the company itself are unproven and I am NOT trying to sell anyone on the Zens but I must say optically they deserve attention.

Bill

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-10 AT 08:02AM (MST)[p]>I will say it again...They are
>junk had them and compared
>them to my dads Minox
>HG's while the clarity was
>okay they had a horrible
>glare problem. I have
>to say they are a
>step above Nikon Monarchs but
>nothing above that at all...In
>the end sent them back
>and ordered a pair of
>Minox HG's if that helps.
>

The minox HG's.......fantastic glass, but when compared to other binocs in the same configuration has a very, very narrow FOV that makes it a deal killer for me. This is a huge shortcoming of Minox and makes me wonder what they were thinking.

Facts huh? That's a joke. Your OPINION is not a FACT. The FACT is undeniable science and physics. Mid-range and high-end cannot and do not compare. It is a physical impossibility to create a level playing field when using inferior parts, coatings, procedures, and techniques. I'm not saying that Zen, Golden Rings, Bushnell "Elites" aren't good for their price, but they absolutely cannot be compared to the top-of-the-line products. I have worked in the optics field for many years and have encountered those that will go to the grave saying that their $400-$800 binos are as good as $2,000 ones. They are proud of what they own (which they should be) and have convinced themselves that they are as good as the best, even when faced with facts. There is nothing wrong with these products within their field, but please don't be naive. When compared to the high-end, these products fall short (optically) in edge-to-edge sharpness, light transmission, color fidelity, etc. Not to mention the poorer quality of materials used. The durability isn't there, sloppiness in mechanics and loss of features. All of these short comings are bound to happen when costs are cut to achieve a lower price point and higher dealer margin. If you can't afford the best, buy what you can afford, or save up. The optics equation is simple...you get what you pay for!

WYGriz is spot on... So many folks think optical clarity is the only measure of a binocular. The mechanical reliability is also as or more important. How will these binos hold up year after year? One or two hunts is not proof that a binocular is tough... These comments are not just about Zen Ray products, but all the "copy cat" optics from the Pacific Rim. WYGriz's last two sentences sum it all up..."If you can't afford the best, buy what you can afford, or save up. The optics equation is simple...you get what you pay for!" Truer words about optics were never spoken.

P.S. The comments about folks who use "Alpha Glass" just being "optics snobs" is very telling... That's the argument people go to when they can't win their argument with facts and logic.

The easiest way for me to sum up the Zen-Ray's, and yes I've owned a pair, is:

$1,000.00 view
$400.00 build quality
$5.00 accessories

I really like my ZEN ED2 binoculars. But I don't understand why it strokes so much emotion here. Com'on guys, it is a just a glass. If it works for you and you can save tons of money, great! If not, get a pair that works for you.

I absolutely agree. If it works for you then that's great. It just irks me when people call FACT when that just isn't even remotely true (or physically possible) and therefore spread misinformation to those looking to make informed buying decisions.

>The easiest way for me to
>sum up the Zen-Ray's, and
>yes I've owned a pair,
>is:
>
>$1,000.00 view
>$400.00 build quality
>$5.00 accessories

Not going to argue with that analogy. But it's way too early to tell how well they'll last. I'd but the build quality of my Gold Ring Hd's up agains anything made, including my beloved trinovids. I've guided mule deer, aoudad, and antelope hunters for years and have seen many hunters show up with EL's, FL's, SLC's, etc and they are truly fantastic. No argument there. They are, however grossly overpriced IMO. I've compared them side by side to my GR HD's, Elite's, Zens, a Nikon LX, a Meopta, and a Razor many, many times. If you have to buy $2000 glass to find game then you're a schitty glasser/hunter, as they will absolutely not show you anything the one's I mentioned will show you. They may do it ever so slightly "better", but to say you will see a 15" antelope and I can't is a joke. I do appreciate alpha glass, however, which is why I own a Kowa Prominar 884.....Jap glass that spanks euro butt!

Negative. Until I got my hands on pair of Gold Rings I said the trinovids were the toughest bino ever made. i believe the GR HD is built just as solidly. The Zen has world class glass, a decent focus ring, avg "feel" of moving parts, and horrible obj covers. I liked the black hard case that came with it. Leica has been bankrupt once, so never say never about the euro glass mfg's either.

FYI...Leica has NEVER been bankrupt. I hate when such rumors/misinformation is spread. It's also interesting that one would choose to compare a Trinovid (25+ year old design & concept) with the new Golden Rings. The Leupolds are quite tough and durable. Also, European optics aren't a "bit" better, they are significantly better...trust me.

The parent company Leica Camera has been bankrupt. Just the facts. I don't need to trust you, I've seen it in the field myself, many, many, many times.

No they haven't, so keep the lies and speculations to yourself. Your "facts" are so wrong that you might make yourself liable. What is your source that Leica was bankrupt? FYI, there is no "parent" company. Leica Camera IS Leica Sport Optics, it's just one company, the same in the US as anywhere else. Since you're obviously completely wrong on this account (and not willing to see any truth), there is no reason to see your high level "field observations" as valid. If you do actual physical testing and take the REAL facts into account, then the two price segments are absolutely WORLDS apart. I've been trying to be nice, but this just annoys me beyond anything else. The fact is, many of the optics named in this middle segment (e.g. Bushnell Elites) are junk. They fall apart under mild use, are an optical liability and survive based solely on price point and marketing FLUFF. THERE are some REAL facts from the optics industry itself.

Better things to do here than argue with Einstein's like you who've done it all, seen it all, etc. It's amazing how you can tell me what my eyes see, and what my 39 yrs of mule deer hunting experience have brought me when it come to what works and doesn't work in optics (we've trashed 2 pair of EL's the past two years BTW). You are an amazing man. Adios amigo.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom