question about Wyoming elk draw/tag process

UtahMountainMan

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-12 AT 11:19AM (MST)[p]Hey guys - I live in utah and I have never hunted another state. Last year was my first year I have purchased an out of state point and I bought 1 preference point last summer for Wyoming elk.

I know that the deadline for draws was back on Jan 31.

My question is am I able to purchase a general season elk tag later this year? Are elk tags sold OTC in wyoming? I believe that I read that it takes a non resident 1 point to get a general season elk tag but I am not sure if that means that I needed to apply back in January or if they will be available OTC later this year?

Please let me know.

I am a COMPLETE newbie when it comes to Wyoming and elk. So if I am unable to get a tag this year I will just buy another preference point.

Also, if anyone has any feedback/tips/advice that they could PM me as far as what units I could get into with either 1 or 2 points I would REALLY appreciate it. I would be willing to swap Utah scouting info and help for Wyoming info.

In fact, I would be willing to even do some type of a "hunt swap" with someone in Wyoming that is willing to let me tag along on an elk hunt up there. I own a little bit of land in the Utah Central Mountains North Manti unit and I am VERY familiar with 2 or 3 limited entry elk units here.

Thanks again guys!!

Earl aka UtahMountainMan

There are no over the counter nonresident elk, deer or antelope tags in Wyoming. There are undersubscribed units in WY where leftover tags will be sold later this summer. They tend to be cow tags and units with difficult access (private land). You can buy a preference point from 7/1 - 9/30.

It's really too bad you didn't put in last month for the general elk tag with your 1 PP, as now you will probably just end up buying a PP again this summer or waiting for next January to apply with your 1 PP for 2013. There will be some LQ units with some bull elk tags left after the draw results are posted tomorrow. However, as the previous post mentioned, they may not be in good areas, etc. If you want to see what LQ units you can draw with 1 or 2 PPs, go into the G&F website and highlight "HUNTING" at the top. When everyhting popss up with it highlighted go over to the left column and click on the hunting odds section. Then when the years pop up, click on 2011 and the different animals will come up. Click on the elk category and then on the NR Regular PP draw and go down through the units and you will see how many PPs it took to draw them.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom