Question about pack weight

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
I have a 4 day fishing and hiking trip. My pack weighs in at 31 lbs. I will fill my Nalgene 1 liter bottle as I need it so will have 33 lbs. I know I could cut a little weight. Going for lighter next year. Not too bad though?

I've done waaaay more than my share of backpacking over the years. Not so much in the last few years though. When I first started out, 50-60 lbs. was about normal. That was back in the 1960's. As technology advanced and I got older and smarter the weight fell. The last few years I was into it, I set my personal max at 35 lbs. If I weighed my pack and it was over 35 lbs., something had to go.

We took a lot of pride in cutting pack weight without sacrificing too many comforts. It was almost a game within the game. An example: you can cut your tooth brush handle off to just a stub to save that weight. We planned out food right down to the calorie. If we got into fish or a flock of grouse we ate like there was no tomorrow.:) Most of our trips were 10-14 days.

It's tough to get much below 35 lbs. and be prepared for all the weather scenarios or emergency situations.

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

With gun, tripod, bipod, spotter, bino, ammo, and range finder theres no way I could make 35 lbs.

Thanks for replies. I have a Osprey pack that is a little over 5 lbs and it's the heaviest item but it is such a nice pack and the way it let's air flow behind my back to avoid sweating is awesome. I may buy a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 next year for a lighter tent.

>With gun, tripod, bipod, spotter, bino,
>ammo, and range finder theres
>no way I could make
>35 lbs.

Amen to that!

Fishing trip: yes
Hunting trip: no

Like Deerlove said, with optics, gun and ammo my pack always weighs more than a recreational trip. It's usually colder weather for a hunting trip so I'm forced to take more clothes too. It all adds up... dang it!

Zeke

I have heard about people cutting the handle off a toothbrush so many times.
Am I the only one that does not even consider packing a toothbrush?

You can probably buy back packing tooth brushes with carbon fiber handles and your choice of camo pattern. Probably $49.95

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

>You can probably buy back packing
>tooth brushes with carbon fiber
>handles and your choice of
>camo pattern. Probably $49.95
>
>Eel
>
>Guns are like parachutes. If you
>need one and don't have
>one you probably will never
>need one again.

Got to do it right.

Well its 5 full days now and I am at 37 lb with everything that's needed except my Wyoming fishing license which is $14/day. No 5 day license deal either. They want to stick it to ya.

199th2.jpg

On my way oh dark thirty. I will post some pics up when I get home.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom