Question about bighorns....

O

OKbow87

In the last week for some reason I have gotten the urge to go on a sheep hunt. I live in Oklahoma and have only been on one western hunt, which was a muley hunt in a pretty much guaranteed draw unit in Wyoming. My question is where do you guys think the fastest place to draw would be, and where would you guys say the best place to apply for a trophy hunt would be. So far in my research it looks like the Missouri River breaks in Montana are kinda the cats meow... but I'm sure it would take nearly a lifetime to draw a tag. I am also not ruling out canada or any of the other subspecies like desert bighorns. Anyway I really appreciate any info you guys can give me. Like I said though I am new to this whole western hunt application process so its really hard for me to decifer the regs that these states post on their website and how exactly the draw process will go. It looks like I'm looking at atleast a 5 year minimum before it will even be possible. Thanks again for your help in advance.

Colin

Drawing a sheep tag and 'fast' do not go hand in hand.

If you're serrious about hunting sheep, put in for every state that offers tags, apply for the best units "odds wise" and be prepared to cough up some serrious coin every spring, and just maybe in the next 15 years you'll pull a tag, but I doubt it. The odds of a NR drawing any LE unit in any state is astronomical... Like 1-100 if you're lucky.

Actually MT has a couple unlimited units where anyone that applys gets a tag, but your odds of killing a sheep in those units on your own is extreamly low. One unit used to get about 150 hunters and 1-3 sheep would be killed each year. BUT you're sheep hunting.

ID has a couple units with great odds for NR, BUT its extreamly difficult terrain and success is very low.

If you really want to hunt sheep soon, about the only way you can do it as a NR is go either win the lotto and get a tag for the lower 48, or go on a guided hunt in Alaska, or Canada.

OKbow87,

You can get a lot of information on the various drawings, plus available raffles for tags, at http://wildsheep.org/eve/ubb.x

A lengthy article on the subject is also written and published annually in "Grand Slam" magazine (http://www.wildsheep.org/join/index.htm).

Just FYI, I put in for more than a decade prior to drawing a premium tag of any sort (and applying in 12 states pretty much annually). Then I drew two in one year. Two years later I drew two more (Colorado Rocky Mountain Bighorn ram and Mountain Goat both).

Someone has to draw, and you certainly won't if your name's not in the hat. Just don't get all caught up in the odds. They are so bad it will only depress you. Just roll the dice and hope for the best. Good luck!

OKBOW87...... THIS IS THE QUICKEST WAY. FORGET ABOUT THE FRUSTRATION ON POINTS, DRAWS, & RAFFLE TAGS THAT COULD TAKE DECADES TO DRAW/ HUNT SHEEP WHILE YOUR YOUNG. ALASKA OR CANADA OFFER TAGS OVER THE COUNTER/FOR DALL SHEEP/ BUT YOU WILL NEED A GUIDE. THATS THE TRADE OFF....THE COST. THERE ARE SEVERAL GOOD DALL SHEEP HUNTS THAT WONT BREAK THE BANK, GO TO THE SHEEP SECTION AND POKE AROUND. THE DALL IS A BEAUTIFUL SHEEP.----YD.

Bambi, I used to think Idaho had decent odds for drawing sheep. THIS IS NOT CORRECT FOR NON RESIDENTS. It is less than one percent any where in Idaho. It cost 150 dollars to buy a license plus application fees. Idahos draw puts all the applicants in the draw together, residents and non residents. Non res can draw up to 10% of the tags. It is usually a lot lower. In fact less than one percent last year. Last year 1,245 non res applied and 6 non res drew. That is less that one percent. Look at Idaho fish and game web site for draw odds on sheep. I just called the Idaho headquarters office 208 334-3700. The division employee confirmed what I found out. Unit 27-1 you would think would be a good chance to draw. Odds 1 in 5 for this heavy timbered area. However, when all applicants resident and non res are put together and the draw is'nt unit specific. It is less than one percent to draw ANY unit in Idaho. This has been very decieving on the part of Idaho Fish and Game. I hope it changes.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-07 AT 09:17AM (MST)[p]OKBow87,
Before you get too far into sheepmania, you should know that sheep hunting is kind of like drugs. Once you get hooked you are always addicted. It is also expensive like drugs and the opportunity to actually hunt a sheep is rare, unless you are loaded.
I was fortunate to get in on the beginning of the point system in Wyoming and I was able to take a nice bighorn in 04. It was my best hunting experience ever, and now I am trying to do anything I can to do it again. However, I know that my chances are limited by my luck and my pocket book.
Yukon is right in that if you just want to hunt a sheep, your best chance is to just start saving your money and buy a Dall hunt. But let me warn you, if you do hunt a Dall, you will then want to hunt the others.(Bighorns and Stone)
My advice is to decide how much money you want to start throwing at drawing, because you are way behind a lot of other hunters with the same desease. If you are extremely lucky you could draw right away, but I have been doing this for 20 years and I have one sheep to show for it. I am not trying to discourage you, but you should know what kind of game you may be getting yourself into. Good luck!

Hunt100 I'm not sure I follow your math. In 2006 there were 64 total Rocky tags, six of which went to non-residents (9.375%). There were also a total of 16 California Bighorn tags, of which two non residents were drawn (12.5%). So, for bighorn tags in Idaho there was a total of 80 tags and 8 went to non-residents--exactly 10%. You are correct there was over 1200 non-res apps for bighorns which is about .5%--still a helluva lot better than say Utah or Washington or Montana, etc.

Drawing by unit would require the state to designate those permits to specific units, but in the end you will still have 1200 non res applying for 6 rocky permits. Odds will not increase.

Okie,

I would start with the Huntin' Fool. It helps you get organized. Also, you may apply for 20 years and never see a tag. I was fortunate and drew an Idaho California Bighorn tag last season in my fourth year of applying for sheep tags. I would also encourage you to apply for other animals that interest you. There are some hunts that are very similar to sheep hunts such as a high country mule deer hunt.
There is nothing quiet like the feeling of having a sheep tag in your pocket when you see a shooter ram. To stay calm, you try to say it's just another shot. Deep down, you know is probably a once in a lifetime chance. And to put your hands on around the bases of YOUR ram...

OKIE dont do it.Just walk away now while you can.All the money, Years of PAIN and rejection.Have some one do a Crisis intervention for you. You will be in AA or rehab all your life.They call it FNAWS...

You definition of a lifetime is different then mine, WY units are 1,000 odds or worse, and most guys have over 5 bonus points now, so even ling term you should not draw in 20 lifetimes.

If you really want to hunt sheep I would suggest moving to British Columbia. We have draws up here but also a ton of open areas. For example I will put in a draw for either dall sheep (1 in 7 odds) or for Cali bighorns (1 in 6 odds). If i dont get drawn I may head up north for a 2 week fly in stone sheep hunt (no draw required for stones). if I dont do this I will hunt Rockies and Cali's near my house for Sept. and Oct then head east to the Alberta border and hutn Rockies at the end of October.

If you really want to hunt sheep, this is the place to be and right now there are a ton of jobs up here. If you can do anything half decent you could get a job. Not sure about becoming a resident though.

Bighornbob

OKbow87,

Here's an option for you. If you're in Oklahoma, you are fairly close to outfitters in Texas that run some excellent hunts for fair chase, free ranging Aoudad. No, they are not a North American ram, but you would be going on a real-deal sheep hunt, and you wouldn't be spending $20k to do it. You also wouldn't be waiting for that once in a lifetime draw. Best of luck to you!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom