Psychos at your work too??

Roy

LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-11 AT 01:33PM (MST)[p]So I work with a guy who seriously has some disturbing personality issues - what a piece of work! I just started this job on August 1 so I am still the new guy. This guy has been here for a while and has been giving me the "new guy" treatment - typical hard time / semi-hazing. So I have just good naturedly put up with it. He is an ex-military interrogator / arabic linguist and he really has a different way about him. None of this really bugs me at all. I am easy to get along with. I know it takes all kinds to make a world and I just thought that was his routine and so I have endured.

We work in a pretty small office (there are 5 of us) and we all are pretty quiet throughout the day. There is very little chit-chat (now I know why). But, I am a very loud typer, and when I type I really hit the keys pretty hard. I am also a fairly fast typer and since writing has been one of the key components of my occupation for the past 10 years I can go all day. Well, I guess it is too loud for him and he can't concentrate because of it. He has made some comments about it in the past but because of the general hard time he generally gives me, I just chalked it up to good natured ribbing and apologized and went on about my work.

Until Monday. All of a sudden, out of nowhere at about 2:30PM I am logging in to one of my e-mail accounts to e-mail a student back an answer to a question I have been researching and he yells at me "NO YOU DON'T!" and goes off on me, lecturing me about how what I do is not part of "our mission" here and basically accuses me of stealing time here, denigrates my work by inferring that his job is more important that mine and that he is 100% on-task all the time and basically questions my integrity.

Well, I apologized for any inconvenience or disturbance I may have caused through my typing and just basically brushed it off (talked with my boss about it too and he is in the loop and actually on the ball with all of it), but I didn't really let it change the way I work. I have nothing to to worry about - nothing to hide or change at all.

Fast forward to today, I haven't said one or two words to him since Monday at all, just went about my business and made sure I typed quieter, (even used a rubber keyboard) and though I didn't change my routine or they way I do my job, just made sure I was above reproach, (even did from start to finish an 80 hour yearly training module in 12 hours over the course of M,T&W). Then, again, all of a sudden, he asks me if I was the one following behind him out of work yesterday. I couldn't really remember, there was no incident at all, I wasn't driving crazy or aggressive, I just got over to the right as soon as I could and stopped in at a 7-11 to pick up few things. So, the question seemed a little absurd. I said "Not that I know of." and then he became a little agitated and said "Are you saying that you weren't driving like a maniac behind me trying to kill me?" WOAH.

Apparently he was in front of me and thought I was driving "like a maniac" and tyring to pass him on the right and accused me of trying to kill him. He then tells me that he saw me pull in to the 7-11 and took down my license plate - all the while yelling at me and getting right in my face, trying to bully me and intimidate me. And then walked away before I could even reply, (which was probably a good thing).

Well, that was it - I did not try to intimidate back or even do anything unprofessional, but since he was very angrily berating me I did raise my voice (not yelling though) and told him that it ends here, that he will not question my integrity and accuse of me of crap that never happened again and that he was creating a hostile work environment for me through his actions.

Anyway, the boss got involved again, he is going to have a serious talk with him tomorrow that will probably involve some progressive discipline. The dude is working off-site today giving a lecture so he left but I am just never ever even going to speak to him again other than "Hi" and "Bye", if that.

How do you guys deal with crazies like this?

HOOK 'EM!

Given the circumstances and you described, doing WHAT you described is about the only option.......other than war.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Sorry Roy but you did choose to move to Texas. I think I would be a little concerned about him going postal. Maybe if your work allows it and you have a carry permit you might want to consider carrying concealed. Mentally imbalanced people as he obviously is are capable of most anything. Stay safe.

Document everything about his confrontations and keep the boss informed. Be careful, This has some earmarks of a guy that can go postal. I would submit a written report to your boss on the previous incidents to protect yourself in the event this does go to a "hostile work place" complaint. This way your boss will have a hard time to deny he was not informed of the working conditions and failed to take steps to correct it.

If all else fails, go hillbilly on him and douse him in kerosene and light his a$$ up.

RELH

rugarm for the win...lol

I have worked in the construction trade my whole life, you don't see many people like the one you described that work this trade... They would have gotten their ass stomped and thrown off the job..

Maybe tell HomerJ that he is anti mexican and is a door gunner for the border patrol on his free time... Stand back and watch the fur fly..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

This ain't funny!

The guy obviously has issues, and since you are in his vicinity a good portion of his day and he already don't like you, you could become his vent.

As stated, document everything and then join a softball team and start bringing your gear to work every day......especially your Easton.....!

I would not turn my back on the guy, especially if the boss takes him down a peg or so.

Just so you realize it....You ARE now officially in a hostile work environment. Be aware!

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

I agree with RELH...."I would submit a written report to your boss on the previous incidents to protect yourself in the event this does go to a "hostile work place" complaint"

But I would type it very, very quietly.:)

I've worked mostly in the woods and sawmills my whole life. Not the classiest grade of people. I've been in my share of confrontations over the years. One time, a guy at the sawmill was kind of the bully of the whole mill. He started picking on me for some reason. I'm very easy going and try to find humor in just about everything. I let it slide for quite awhile. Those kind of people see that as a weakness to be exploited. Finally one day I cornered him alone and put my arm on his shoulder and said the next time he gave me sh!t, he was going to be leaving the mill in an ambulance. I smiled at him and told him the next move was his, and walked away. I don't believe he ever spoke another word to me after that.

Roy, I wouldn't advise doing that in this case. This guy sounds weird. I think you're handling it just fine actually.

Eel

>Offer him some undercooked bear meat
>as a peace offering.

LOL...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Not much more you can do that hasn't already been done. It's now in the hands of your boss. With his history I'm surprised he hasn't been already terminated. Good luck and watch your back.

Eldorado

Roy,

Just saw this post on one of those para-military forums.....I had to edit it because I know we have kids on MM.

"...So let me start by saying I am proud of my service to my country. Can't say exactly what all I was involved with but I can tell you I was in interrogation. I was really good at it because of my background in arabic. Got a civi job at a college in Texas and everything was going pretty good until they hired this (edit)noob from Utah to teach spanish. Spanish?!?! They should all learn how to speak (edit)ENGLISH. I didn't put my (edit)(edit)life on the line every day so we could hire some (edit)hotshot to come teach spanish.

This new guy, I can't stand him. Can't understand half the stuff he's talking about. I'm sure it's funny to someone...if you're from planet (edit)intellectual. And he always goes around correcting me, like it's really THAT funny. What a (edit)(edit)geek!

And to top it off, he has this keyboard that has got to be from a (edit)Mac SE-30. Sounds like a (edit)dog running on (edit)(edit)tile every friggin day. Can't stand it. We should look into it as a new form of interrogation. Way more effective then waterboarding.

Couple of days ago I caught him following me home after work. I have a lot of training in evasive driving tactics and wrote a couple of papers on vehicular surveillance so I know when someone is following me. I think he realized that I was on to him cause he started driving like a (edit)maniac. I was getting ready to run him into the curb when he pulls into this 7/11. I followed him in and got his plate and then let him know who's boss around here if you know what I mean. Got some buddies who are still active that I'm gonna have run the plate and see who this (edit)guy really is. Meeting up with some of them after a lecture I am giving.

Probably got cartel connections. That would make sense. Nobody would suspect him. Always acting like he's really busy all the time. But he spends a lot of time on his computer. Says he is "...responding to student e-mail". Yeah, right. Speaking spanish and all, he probably oversees the Utah distribution.

He's some kind of (edit)gun nut. I have seen him logging into one of those hunting forums before and after work. Says he likes to hunt but the only thing I have ever seen him shoot was a (edit)turkey. Probably setting up a drop with his Utah connections. I just don't trust anyone who say they like to hunt (edit)(edit)mule deer.

I think he suspects that I know what he is really up to. He has been feeding our supervisor information to divert attention away from himself and onto me. This guy is driving me absolutly (edit)crazy. Wish he would just go back to wherever(edit)(edit) he came from and leave me (edit)(edit)alone.

How do you guy's deal with crazies like this?..."

LMAO

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

My fortune cookie the other day had this advice " never trust a linguist " . Didn't make much sense at the time , but now I'm seeing the big picture .

Pee test followed by a psych eval, if it were my boss!

I'd start actually recording any conversation with him.

Predator, can you legally record a conversation without the other person's knowledge. In some states it is a felony to do so without consent or pre warning that the conversation will be recorded. Most law enforcement have a exemption but that does not apply to John Doe citizen.

RELH

Thanks for all the suggestions - most of them made sense. (Seriously though RELH, kerosene???)

As for the concealed carry - no can do. We work on a military base, (we are government contractors). Also there are quite a few other protocols that we have to follow because of this.

I did prepare a detailed statement, talked with the boss, who talked with corporate HR and he is meeting with the guy right now.

I do have to say this has rattled me quite a bit and Dingo - dude, it took me a few minutes but you scared the crap out of me!!

And don't worry 1911 - I may have "lost my cool" in the workplace before by raising my voice a little, but never anything like that! There is a fine - but very distinguished - line between absolutely crazy and just upset.

HOOK 'EM!

If he's in Utah he can. You are right about some other states, thank you for clarifying.

I was thinking more along the lines of 'hey buddy, look I'm recording you'.

Roy, Just make sure your HR department is fully aware of this issue and make sure you keep all documentation.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

Roy what is wrong with kerosene? It worked for our clan to settle a long time feud once and for all.

On the serious side, you seem to be handling it the right way, just do not let your guard down with a guy that seems to be a touch unbalanced,

RELH

This would kind of be a pansy way out, but it should work. Just keep telling your HR department, or your boss that you have been threatened at work and don't feel safe there. You find it hard to do your job because of your discomfort. An HR rep would easily categorize your statement as being a "workplace violence" incident. That stuff is usually taken pretty seriously.

+1 grizzmoose. it works !! i did this to a plick i worked with recently he got a unpaid weeks vacation and a real short leash with me. i report him again to h.r. he is history.

Yeah well, Dwight never tells Jim how he knows how to interrogate people without leaving any marks - "at least not ones that can be traced without the use of prolonged psychological counselling."

Things were a lot less tense today. I will just keep minding my P's and Q's - I have nothing to worry about. This isn't this guy's first problem. I think he is on a very short leash now. He was in the conference room with the boss for over an hour and a half, then took an early lunch and didn't come back for the rest of the day.

Hopefully he can destress over the weekend and be decent on Monday.

HOOK 'EM!

Roy, the dude has obvious PTSD issues and has a problem with your office skills. You have given him an infereority complex and he has to compensate. Keep the softball gear close. Tactically convince him and his boss to get an appoinmnet with the V.A. for some serious counseling, there are meds available for PTSD but not little man syndrome....

I would of told him to F the F off.
Luckily I've worked at one place for 28 years ( big heavy construction company) and only have a VP and President above me so I could just fire his arse.

-John Wayne

I would tell T-K and the problem would be gone.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Man...where is that pic of Mike Dockery after you busted his nose with a serious head butt in 12th grade, Roy? You took his crap for as long as you could too. Take it easy...this dude doesn't know what he's messing with. Roy is like a ticking TIME BOMB, seriously. Bad temper. You gotta keep your cool w/him, Roy. Just keep your cool.

>I would tell T-K and the
>problem would be gone.
>
Hell yeah! I'll fly to Texas today and take care of this problem. I'll kick some serious linguist ass!

We have had a couple of nutcases at work.

The first was the wife of a young enlised lad who used to work for me. He was a good Sailor, never an issue with him. One day his wife called my desk phone and asked if he was in. I told her he was, but that he was busy editing some presentation software. She said no, he wasn't busy and that he was probably effing one of the female LTs. I politely asked her to quit using offenisve language. She then said efff you. I hung up and called shore patrol. About the time they got to work, she arrived and things just went downhill from there. She climbed onto the hood of her husbands jeep as he was driving away. She got a free ride to county jail. No drugs or alcohol in her system, she was just bat schitttte crazy.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

You might consider this:

One more "attack" and it's a second written notice to your employer. In the second notice you might notify them that you are fearful for your life and personal safety and you will "taking leave of absence, with pay" until they have can guarantee you a
'safe work environment". Ask that your payroll check be mailed to your home address.

Then, on your way home, stop by the local Judge and do what ever it take to prevent this individual from coming with in 3 miles of you. (So his long range rifle can't reach you.)

I would expect some fairly rapid adjustments will be made. If your employer is the State or Federal Government they cannot afford to risk a civil rights law suite and will act quickly. If it's no governmental you might have a more difficult time but having your attorney call the boss and explain the trauma that you're dealing with, at home and in bed with soggy diapers.

Course, if I were you, I'd just pee my pants on the way to the parking lot every night then sleep outside in a damp cold cellar so when he blew up my house I'd get to watch from a good vantage point, because basically I'm the biggest coward in town, all talk and no action.

Be safe Roy. Move forward with caution.
DC

>Man...where is that pic of Mike
>Dockery after you busted his
>nose with a serious head
>butt in 12th grade, Roy?
>You took his crap for
>as long as you could
>too. Take it easy...this
>dude doesn't know what he's
>messing with. Roy is
>like a ticking TIME BOMB,
>seriously. Bad temper.
>You gotta keep your cool
>w/him, Roy. Just keep
>your cool.

Kick his Asss SeaBass !!!!

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-11 AT 02:16PM (MST)[p] Roy is
>like a ticking TIME BOMB,
>seriously. Bad temper.
>You gotta keep your cool
>w/him, Roy. Just keep
>your cool.

Yeah, thanks for not making me sound like a psycho too Jenn!!

No worries - it has been over 20 years since that episode (almost 20 to the date though!). And that happened when I was a senior in high school and was the last time in my life when I HAD to resort to violence to resolve a conflict. At the time, there was no other way out and I had exhausted all other options.

AND - just for the record - I didn't act in anger in that instance. It was very calculated - very calculated and precise! After dancing around with this guy for nearly 10 minutes with him being right in my face, head-butting me and pushing me several times, I waited for him to duck his head back down and plowed my head in to the bridge of his nose with a rush of adrenaline. Knew exactly what I was doing and exactly what it would do, though I did expect to have to follow up with quite a few punches to knock him out. That didn't turn out the be the case however as he went down like a ton of bricks and wobbled back up to his knees. Then I just bitchslapped the side of his face and went back in to wrestling practice and left him bleeding, crying, and wondering what happened.

I do have a temper but I have learned to control it and can maitain my professionalism in all circumstances. Things are markedly better. So far, we haven't even had a conversation and I am willing to drop it, though I will continue to document and advise my supervisor of any further developments.

HOOK 'EM!

Sure you can, Now just place a child into the mix and watch the flames come alive in Roy.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Yeah well, that is where it gets complicated - I catch anybody hurting one of my kids and all bets are off.

HOOK 'EM!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom