Provo Peak Goat Tag ?

B

barnesgrunt

Well fellas, looks like I finally drew my goat tag. This has been on my list of dream trophies for a very long time. So heres my Question, Does anyone know where i can find some info on field judging goats. I've been told 8" horns are kinda on the small side, and 10"+ horns would be a monster. Honestly I'll be happy with whatever I drop the hammer on, but when the difference between a good goat and a great goat is about 2 inches I was womdering if there is some way to reference the size.
Any help appreciated.

I agree there is little room for error. I hear the only way to tell is once they are on the ground. How many points did you draw with?

Dillon

Congrats on your tag. I've been putting in for 11 years and hope to draw a goat tag soon. I've been asking the same question of others. Do a google search for Duncan Gilchrist. He has a book with goat field judging info as well as a DVD that touches on the topic. Some other tips are to look at the body size. A swayed back with a pronounced hump and good round belly will tell you a lot about how old the goat is. Looking for a horse face is helpful but sometimes can be misleading. Go to Cabelas and other places with mounts. Learn what a mature billy looks like mounted. I'm excited for you and wish you best of luck on a mature billy.

honestly all you have to do is get off the couch hit the hills and locate the goats. once you see a bunch of goats you can easily tell the difference between a goat and a good goat. you can tell a nanny and a billy. you can tell an imature billy and and a fully grown billy. all you need is experience looking at them. A friend of mine had a lone peak tag last year and at first we both sucked at scoring them. as the scounting went on all summer long it got a lot eaysier.

good luck o shoot the largest bodied billy they all make the horns look smaller than they really are. o get close as you can. If you don't go up and scout don't shoot the first one you see.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

+1 on what buckmaster says. I hunted mt. goats on Box Elder Peak in 1999. I had a great time and learned a lot about these unique critters. Very socially structured animals. Early season billys are in small bands or are loners. Scout in summer and find these small bands of billys and it becomes easier to tell the difference when looking at a few together. Big billys have blockier heads and massive front shoulders. Billys have much heavier bases to their horns and curve back sharper toward the tops. A trophy billy may well be determined by the quality of his hair and cape. I took a 9" 48 [unofficial] pope and young billy on the first day, first hour of my hunt. He was not the biggest horned goat by any means but he had everything I wanted and after scouting his pattern I couldn't pass on the 35 yard shot he presented. Good Luck and remember that you will get out of your oil hunt what you put into it!

P.S. If you are not in good physical condition...get in shape!

A buddy of mine drew Provo Peak a few years back.
He took a nice goat, but said that it was the steepest nastiest, most dangerous country he'd ever hunted in his whole life.
Coming from a veteran sheep hunter, I'd get in shape now!
HH

First congrats on your tag, and second DAMN that book is expensive. I did the search and for used books $73.12- $160.00.

Good luck

Joe E Sikora

You are in for a fun hunt. I helped a buddy shoot a great billy off there a couple years ago. I can give you some pointers if you don't know the area. And it is steep and rough.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom