provo peak bighorns

bowhunt

Long Time Member
I watched 5 mature rams most of last winter. I am sure they live between Provo canyon and springville.
With that many mature rams could there be a hunt? I would think that would be enough rams to support many ewes. Even if the herd is declining wouldn't it be better to hunt them then just let them dwindle away?

bowhunt,
It is my understanding that the whole herd is all but gone.
In 2005 my son and I counted over 60 sheep in one band up Rock Canyon, with five 170 or bigger rams (including the one Karl M took). I haven't looked there for over a year now, but I am not sure there are 10 sheep left in that whole area.
So the question becomes, is there any hope that they might come back, or could they try another supplement to the herd?
Also, who is willing to squander their once in a lifetime chance at finding one of five sheep on a whole mountain range?
They are tough questions.
The Timp herd is in a similar boat, only with a few more sheep.
It is hard to know if we should keep trying to get them established or just give up.
Sheep herds are hard to get going and there are no easy answers for sure.

>The Timp herd is in a
>similar boat, only with a
>few more sheep.

So what happened to these two populations of sheep? What caused them to take the turn for the worse?

I believe the same thing happened in both herds. Some domestic sheep infected them and their populations took a nose dive.
I think it is pretty tough to establish wild sheep close to populations of people who inevitably have pet domestic sheep and goats running around.
Regardless, it makes me sad because I loved slipping up after work and looking at wild sheep.

I will give you a ring this December-February Littlebighorn and we can go look at some Rams. I am sure they will be there again next year.
I gotta believe giving 1-2 tags would be ok. I know I would put in for it.
If numbers are that low it should not take many Rams to get the breeding done, maybe 2-3?

Why not hunt the other Rams?

Maybe they are worried that a couple more Rams my die by natural causes and they need some left????

Thanks for the thoughts.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom