provo lonepeak rocky mtn goat

J

joethebowhunter

LAST EDITED ON May-31-12 AT 09:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-31-12 AT 08:52?PM (MST)

so my dad drew the wasatch mtn lonepeak goat tag after 17 years puting in, we are familiar with the area, but any helpful tips would be very much appreciated. once in a lifetime tag i would realy love to get him a goat. thanks for any helpful advice.

You shouldn't have a problem finding him a good goat. Last year I saw a big one on Lone Peak near Pfeifferhorn. There are always a few of them hanging around up there.

ok cool, we have seen them up there to but have not been up that high where they hang out. thanks for the advise, should be a awesome scouting season

Is his tag for Provo peak or Lone peak?
I was on the summit of both mountains a couple years ago and saw goats on both.
They are cool animals and a pleasure to hunt. With hard physical work and a little time he should do just fine. Be careful and shoot one in an area where retreival is possible!

Good luck,
Zeke

its for wasatch lone peak, not provo peak. but yea im gonna have to do some research on the unit and boundaries for it. but i appriciate the info guys.

I can look out my office window and see Provo, Timp, Boxelder and Lone peaks in one panoramic view. It's picture perfect up there today.

Last time I was up on Lone peak I saw a bunch of goats on the west side of the peak all the way down to the old cabin. We hiked in from the Draper side but there are several places to catch a trailhead.

Good luck, you'll love the high country hunting!

Zeke

so I have been scouting up american fork and up draper side. but still need to find the goats only seen a few up top. any advise would help alot since my scouting area is currently under fire.

Hopefully after the fire they are not all moved to Timp or roasted. Good luck. My nephew shot a book gaot on that unit a few years ago and we went in from the Granite flat side to the back of Box Elder. Saw a lot of goats and several nice ones. It was kind of interesting because there was one Bighorn ewe that was hanging out with a group of around 20 goats and no other sheep anywhere around.

sweet thas awesome, yea I hope not either. well I will definatly check that area out once they open the canyon back up.

You'd better double check the hunting regs for the bountries of his unit. Residents cannot hunt both Lone peak and Boxelder!
Zeke

yea I have been lookin at them closely so I dont have any issues with goin outside.our unit. I have spotted a few way high but scatterd out none really togher im lookin for like a group to pattern them

If your dad wants a billy then it's not the groups that you should be following. It's the one's and two's which will be billies. The biggest billies are quite solitary critters... until November.
Also, unlike some larger units, you won't need to "scout" a ton. The animals are there so you just need to put your time in to finding the right one when the hunt is here... oh, and waiting until he's in a spot where retrieval is possible.
I'm really looking forward to the goat season too. My wife has a tag for the Uinta West unit.
Good luck!
Zeke

sweet thats cool. yea I will continue to watch the ones where I seen them last and a few other spots. yea from what I can tell the terrain is steep and alot rockyer than my deer and elk hunts I have backpacked in on. thanks for the info.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-12 AT 09:32AM (MST)[p]Hey joethebowhunter,
Take a look at the billy pics that TheFever just posted. I'd send him a PM or flowers or something if I were you and try to get the location of the goat he spotted. It's in your unit, I think and it's a very good goat.
Zeke

so anybody seeing any good goats. its gettin almost that time next month. just seeing how the scouting is going,

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom