Propane Stove

accubond

I was wondering if any of you guys use propane to heat your sleep tents? We switched last year and it worked well but we are hunting the 3rd season in Colorado this year instead of the 2nd. The stove is a cylinder stove with the vent going straight off the top of the stove and right out the top of the tent. Do you guys think it would help to add a couple 90's and a small horizontal section to the duct to help trap a little more heat or has anybody experimented with putting a damper on a propane stove? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

Anyone?

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

I woudn't mess with the vent. It's just your life on the line! A propane burner may not develop as much draw as a wood stove and could fill your tent with carbon monoxide or consume the oxygen. Whatever you do, if you use a propane heater I would take a CO detector (just take the smoke detector from your house if it has one built in.). I've just seen too many stories of dead bodies in heated tents.
Zodi makes a heater that you place outside the tent which blows non-contact hot air in the tent. I've never used that product but we used a ton of similar bigger heaters for the Olympics (with CO meters)
Good luck.

HAZMAT

Most heaters/stoves don't put off CO, they put off co-2. That said, spend your money on a good sleeping bag and leave the dern thing off....unless you have it vented all the way out of the tent.

Get a good sleeping hat, bag, ground pad (between you and your cot) and turn your heater on in the morning and when you are awake.

CO2 is what you get if everything works right. If combustion is incomplete, you get CO. Incomplete combustion comes from inadequate oxygen, poor ventilation or a number of other reasons. Putting a damper on one of these heaters can cause CO to be produced (and dumped into your tent).

HAZMAT

I'm with Haz on this one. Too many stories about guys killed by CO in a tent. Not worth the risk!
My 2 cents
peanut

Thanks for the feedback guys. It sounds like there may be some confusion, the heater is vented to outside the tent right now, I guess I was just wondering if adding a couple 90's and a short horizontal run would add a little more heat while still maintaining proper ventilation? Again I appreciate any and all feedback.

The stove is a store bought lp stove thats cylindrical in shape. Sorry for the confusion.

>The stove is a store bought
>lp stove thats cylindrical in
>shape. Sorry for the
>confusion.
>
>"If a nation expects to be
>ignorant and free... it
>expects what never has and
>never will be." -Thomas
>Jefferson

10-4. I'm sure I'm not the only one that was confused as to how/why someone would convert a Cylinder Stove to propane, but makes sense now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom