propane gas Q?

M

manny15

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-08 AT 06:24PM (MST)[p]I'm looking at buying a chevy p,u with a propane conversion already installed just wonderg if I could run Natural gas also or not. thanx

Nope. Different animals. I'd go CNG if I were you. Propane is pretty pricey and you lose quite a bit of mileage with both. CNG is only 69 cents a gallon in Utah. You can get a filling station that you hook up in your garage to your household natural gas...takes all night to fill but your ready in the morning.

I don't know the specifics of price for both but it's a major conversion either way. I think you can get the CNG conversion for about $4000 and you can get tax credits for doing it. Make sure you get an EPA certified conversion or it isn't eligible for the tax credit. If you are in Utah, there is a good website that explains it. Just google alternative fuels and utah.

Hazmat

I dont know about vehicles but in heating systems about the only difference is changing the orifice size and pressure.
Eric
famousfigures_abevigoda.gif

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

http://www.airquality.utah.gov/Planning/Mobile/Clean_Fuel_Tax_Credit_QA.htm

If you are in Utah, this link will give you a lot of the info. I'm not sure where you're at, but make sure you check out the conversion before you buy so it works with the regs.

I personally haven't done a conversion yet--company still pays my fuel bill. But I have looked into it a bit just in case. The home filling station is called Phill. Here's a link with a video clip: http://www.myphill.com/

Good luck. I'd like to hear how you make out on the deal and I bet there are a lot of others so inclined.

One other thing to check out is the alternative fuel section on ebay motors. They have everything from honda civics to 4x4 pickups and vans that are already CNC converted or OEM.

Hazmat

Depending on the brand of system you may not have to change the propane ECM but you will have to change all of the other components to run CNG. CNG is high pressure, LPG is low pressure so all the tanks and lines are incompatible.

Right now you can only get the UT tax credit with EPA certified kits, which means that unless you convert a crown vic with a BAF system you won't get an EPA kit for a passenger car in 2008. Baytech somehow says they have certified kits but the only platforms of their that I have seen with current EPA certs are the GM 6.0 and 8.1 liter vehicles 14000 GVW or higher; pretty much takes all of our passenger vehicles out of the loop.

There are some 058 and 06 certified kits available but not very many.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom