Pronghorn Quotas

Zim

Very Active Member
Anyone know if the final pronghorn quotas were proposed or approved?

Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club, NRA, UWC & DP Hate Club

Do you know where i can find the quotas for 2012? Looks like some units took a big hit, but maybe i'm not reading it correctly.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-13 AT 09:27PM (MST)[p]Looks like most of the red desert units decreased around 20%, but I see 57 increased some. I had applied for unit 60 which went from 125 to 75, one of the bigger hits. May swap to 64 or 68 since I got a Bighorns archery elk tag and would like to do a combo.

Yep, it does look like many took a hit. Here's the 2012 tag numbers for comparison:

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departments/Hunting/pdfs/REGULATIONS_CH5_DMAY20120002129.pdf

I looks like 57 did increase by 50 tags. It looks like June 3rd is the last date to make a change to your app. I too applied for unit 60, but with a 40% reduction in tags and zero points the odds are way too long for me. I might have to pick an easier to draw unit and one that has the same tags or even more than 2012.

LAST EDITED ON May-01-13 AT 11:08AM (MST)[p]I have max points so will have a good chance in any of these units, but like you said unit 60 maybe only a 40% chance. I prefer a unit with one of the Sept. 21/22 opening dates to follow my elk hunt ~ Sept. 9-21. 68 is closer to my elk unit so maybe as good as any choice. These hits are not too bad. On the good side there will be less competition for those who draw.

Zim,

We chatted on the phone a while back about NV elk. I think during that call I mentioned I hunted unit 60 last year. We had a great hunt, but in 5 days of hunting we never saw a 15" or bigger buck. I killed the biggest buck we saw and it was only 14.5". If I could do last year over again I'd go for unit 64. We had doe tags in 64 following killing our bucks in unit 60. I was blown away at how many pronghorn there were in 64 compared to 60. The first 2 hours of hunting does in 64 we probably saw 100 different bucks and at least 250 does. It was the most big game I've ever seen is such a short amount of time.

Good luck on whatever you decide on. For me I'm going to look at the tag #'s for this year and go for a unit that is giving more tags than they did last year. There's not many of them. Many units have tag numbers that are the same as last year too.

Is there a way to tell how many tags will be allocated for non residents for each area?

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!" -Harry S. Truman

How does a NR calculate how many tags are going to the Random vs preference pool and then the regular vs special?

Crazy how many options there are. Be so much easier to have a NR tag....period.

Bwht4x4,

I agree...it gets complicated.

There really is no way of knowing about the Random VS Preference point for sure. The maximum is a 75-25 split, so 75% of tags go to the top preference holders if there is high enough demand. However, if there are leftover tags from the Preference pool, they drop into the random pool.

Depending on the unit, the number of applicants in the Random and Preference pools, and special VS. regular all those things can really influence your draw odds.

The advice to really study the odds in all the various pools is critical if you want to draw.

It about takes an abacus, an MIT Math Major, and a roll of the chicken bones to calculate draw odds in Wyoming...

Don't judge the buck's horn growth this year compared to last.We endured the worst range conditions(drought)ever recorded in sw Wy.We are having a wetter spring than last year(so far),and we had better winter moisture here as well.I never heard of an 80+ buck in any area in sw Wy last year.We should see better horn growth this year.

Several units that opened on September 15th last year are opening on the 21st this year...

That doesn't work very well on getting an antelope hunt in before elk season opens on the 20th on the unit that I hunt.

>Several units that opened on September
>15th last year are opening
>on the 21st this year...
>
>
>That doesn't work very well on
>getting an antelope hunt in
>before elk season opens on
>the 20th on the unit
>that I hunt.

I am lucky due to my work, and mine is an archry elk tag. If I score early I can just stay out there and work via my laptop & wifi. I already have a restaurant w/wifi located. Plus I have a buddy coming out Sept. 14th for his first elk hunt, and I'd like to help him out regardless. Plan B is to just go scout lopes before the opener. Either way the 9/20or21 dates work for me.

LAST EDITED ON May-09-13 AT 01:16PM (MST)[p]I never heard of an
>80+ buck in any area
>in sw Wy last year.We
>should see better horn growth
>this year.

Last season we guided to 12 bucks that scored over 81 B&C - one scored 91 4/8 B&C. All were taken in the southwest quadrant of the state. I just didn't want you to think that horn growth was poor last year. From what we could tell it was pretty good, but the range conditions were awful. I imagine the horn growth of the fawns that were born last year will suffer when they become mature bucks because of the poor nutrition. We have heard that the moisture is looking good for this year as well. If the horn growth is better than last season it should be a great year in Wyoming.

www.PronghornGuideService.com

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom