pronghorn in Montana

Handwerk

hoping to draw a tag for a hunt in zone 7, I've never hunted in that area. I am looking to do a self-guided hunt, not too many other hunters and a chance at a decent buck. I am willing to walk a ways. Anybody have some advice? thanks

I'm not sure of any areas in Montana that produce trophy bucks year after year. If you are looking for a decent buck with 12" horns or so I would not hunt opening day and do your hunting more in the middle or at the end of the season. Opening day of antelope season can be crazy, hunters feel they are missing out with other hunters on the prairie and usually shoot a smaller buck, thinking if I don't someone else will! If you wait till after opening weekend, you may have the whole praire to yourself, time to soak in the rolling hills, the coyotes, eagles, etc. Get a good spoting scope, look over ever goat in the area, before you shoot one. Thats the best advice I can give.

Region 7 encompasses nearly a quarter of the state so my advise would be to look at a map and decide which areas you want to target. Then get in touch with the FWP for a Block Management Map and a BLM map that show public ground.

Nemont

It's been a long time since I hunted goats at home being stationed out of state. I have seen a number of nice bucks south of Glendive in Pine Unit area. I've also seen a number when I'm home in the triangle between Terry, Fallon and Brockway.
I shot a 76 inch buck in that area a few years ago. Tried very hard to get one I know would have been 85 inches or better. Noone ever got him and he died of old age. His genes must be still around.

About 20 years ago I shot this nice buck in unit 700 near Jordan Montana near the Fort Peck Resivoir.
Big Country.
They are pretty spooky after being banged at opening week.
Mine has 16 inch horns and scored a touch under 80" B&C.
ant4.jpg

I shot this one just south of Glendive towards Miles City a coupla' years ago. Great area over there.

MT.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom