Pronghorn habits?

I

ID_Paul

I messed up my best opportunity to take an antelope so far this season. I am considering going back in mid-October, but don't know much about what antelope habits are.

For the opener I was in areas ranging from 5k to 6000 ft. elevation, with water being found only in a few scattered ponds dug out by ranchers to capture runoff and seeps.

The goats became very skittish overnight. The second day of season, virtually every antelope I saw was running. Here's one group I caught with a 400mm lens at around 800+ yards.

4antelope1buck.jpg

The ranchers are moving their cattle off the land right now. Deer season starts Oct. 10, and in the upper elevations I'd expect a fair amount of deer hunter traffic.

What do you think I could expect to find if I go to the same area in another 3 weeks? I haven't hunted antelope for 14 years and I'm finding out just how little I know about them.

Thanks.
Paul

Paul, sounds about par for the course in the numerous areas that I've Antelope hunted. A big crowd blasting at every thing they see from the road for the first couple of days then thats about it for hunting pressure and the animals settle back down considerably over the next couple of weeks. In the area I'm hunting this year in Wyoming the season began on Sept. 19 and goes 'till mid October. I'm leaving Saturday and will be hunting all next week. I might not see another hunter. There will be plenty of good goats left. From the sound of it most of the deer hunting pressure in your area is likely to be higher up. Go back out there and kill a big goat !! GOOD LUCK. Chip

Pronghorn will begin to migrate in many area's in the next month. they will also be grouping up in large numbers.(at least in the northern states, WY,MT,ID,UT,CO... I dont know what they do in AZ or NM.)

Reddog is right on about the antelope herding up later in the season! Once October rolls around antelope generally tend to get in giant groups (safety in numbers through the winter). There are that many more eyes to see you in each group..which can be somewhat frustrating. I was out yesterday and the bucks were still rutting like a son of a gun and they hadn't started herding up much yet. They are quite a bit "dumber" when they have a 1 track mind during the rut!

As stated above, you will probably find them settled down a bit. If they are skittish, you need to spot them from a distance and then do a stalk to get within range. If you can spot and plan a stalk from a higher point, all the more better. If you are in sage, you can crawl in on them without being spotted as long as you stay below the upper sage. If you do this, you will discover that there is a lot more cactus out there than you had ever imagined. lol If you are in an area with short grasses, a sneak on them can be more difficult. Most flat land isn't as flat as it appears. There are usually dips, rises, and occasional gullies that can be used. You will not fool their eyes. If one is looking your way when you move and you are in line of sight, you will be pegged. However, if they are not sure of what you are or don't perceive a threat, they will in a few minutes go back about their business. Short attention spans. If they peg you more than once on a stalk the game will likely be over unless they are more curious than afraid and you may find them move in toward you to see what you are.

If you have to take a shot, and miss, be ready for another shot. If they have not seen you, they will not know where the shot originated from. Often they will run in your direction. If they are running too fast, stand up when they are within range and you've a fair chance of them stopping (startle reflex?) to check you out.

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear a consensus that the goats will calm down again.

On opening day I was well away from the roads and saw no one except for the ATVers on the roads. I have located a couple spotting points where I can see 4+ miles all around, and a lot of the area has plenty of little draws and shallow canyons that would be good for covering ground to get to some antelope.

I'm ready for a stalk, and did the hands-and-knees thing opening day. There doesn't seem to be any cactus in this area but there are plenty of sharp rocks to make up for it. In expectation of that, I modified a welder's glove for my left hand. It has an extra layer of leather on the palm and a cord to cinch it around my arm so thorns don't drop in.

antelope-hunting-glove.jpg

I also got some tile-layer's hard kneepads and covered the plastic caps with leather so they won't make noise on the rocks.

I guess the question that will remain to be answered is where antelope in this area will tend to herd up and migrate. There is a lot of private land around my area. If they migrate there, I'm just out of luck I guess. Only one way to find out, so hopefully my schedule will allow me to go again.

How late does the rut activity usually last? I saw some fairly large groups (12+ animals) on opening day, how big will the herds get later?

Thanks.
Paul

We once hunted a late hunt in Wyoming. End of October, I believe, and the antelope were in outrageous groups---100-200. It was almost impossible to get close to them, so we actually took turns trying to herd them by each other. It actually worked, but despite the big groups we only found small bucks. I would encourage you to go as early as you can to take advantage of the rut. I have seen some antelope still kind of rutting in early October, but I have also seen them pretty flighty even later in the hunt.
At any rate, go have a blast and expect just about anything. Antelope are just plain fun to hunt, regardless of the circumstances.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-09 AT 12:02PM (MST)[p]How far do antelope typically migrate from summer to winter ranges? Does it mainly depend on elevation or food? Do they try to stay below the snowline?

The migration depends on where you're hunting. Antelope in some units may migrate 75 -150 miles every year. With the snow we've got in western WY recently I would imagine they've started their migrations already.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I think the migrations have started. I just got back from another trip out there, and there wasn't a goat to be seen anywhere. I ended up driving many extra miles to loop around to hunt their winter range. I saw nothing until finally 1 group of 20 or so way out on a flat where I couldn't sneak on them. So much for the hunt this year, I won't have another chance to go.

Antelope migration can change from year to year and from unit to unit. Some antelope live year round on their winter range while others may migrate as deep snow pushes them elsewhere. I doubt if there has been enough snow in most of Wyoming to get them moving too terribly far from their summer ranges but it can change over night. As we all know the wind can howl in Wyoming and just like mtn goats on the highest peaks antelope feed on wind swept slopes if there is deep snow. Obviously on "windy" days they will be on the calmer side of the ridges, hidden draws, or creek bottoms with tall greasewood and sage.

Last year I hunted antelope in mid October and it was apparent that quite a few antelope had migrated from the higher flat country that was a savanna of deep snow to wind swept rolling hills that had southern slopes and open ridgetops. If you aren't seeing antelope in a particular area ...move until you find them! You will likely find them in groves once you figure it out!

It is always a crap shoot hunting late in the season. Some of the larger bucks have been shot plus access can sometimes be tough (snow drifts, mud, etc)! Bring chains, shovel, and survival gear/extra food...and be ready to spend the night in your rig if something happens! As mentioned earlier any time of the season is a great time to be antelope hunting!

I went out for one last try and came home empty. I saw one herd of about 30, and it had only one smallish buck. I'm still happy with the hunt since I made a 4-mile stalk and came within 150 yards, thanks in part to their curiosity.

Does anyone know if the bucks separate from the does after the rut is over?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom