Pronghorn growth

Adventurewriter

Very Active Member
Hey I am gonna be hunting pronhorns with my bow this year. I want to do alot of scouting this summer to find a big boy. As general rule I think the horns are full growth by Aug 1st or so. I want to start looking to pin down Mr Right during June and July how much horn growth can you expect duringt that time. Also do you see any changes in the tops or does that final growth come from the base up???

Final growth is on the bottom. Tops and prongs will all be fully developed. In my experience the growth from june/july to aug/sept is very little, negligible really. Sheaths are cast in Nov-Dec, and the new horn begins growing very fast.

Thanks Hi MT,

That was what I was wanting to hear....I guess if I find what I am looking for now he can only get better if I get him before the cutter/tip breaking rut.....Wyoming here I come....

I had a chance a while back to corner Tony Grimmett (Great Guy) and ask him a zillion questions one afternoon. I asked him a simillar question as to when they start scouting for trophy potential? His answer was by the end of May.
Get to lookin now before it gets hot!
Yak

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.
Thomas Jefferson

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom