Professional scope mounting - needed?

DonVathome

Very Active Member
Have not done one in while and only done it twice, is it really necessary to have a professional (Cabelas staff) do it or can I bumble through it with some common sense? Any online videos you like?

Don

>Have not done one in while
>and only done it twice,
>is it really necessary to
>have a professional (Cabelas staff)
>do it or can I
>bumble through it with some
>common sense? Any online videos
>you like?
>
>Don
if you don't mind spending $100 bucks you can do it your self,I think it is very important that everything is aligned that way you wont be putting the action and stock in a slight bind.

If I remember correctly the biggest thing you cannot do without the proper tools is lap the rings.

If you want to buy the kit to do that and take the time how to learn it, then you can DIY, but it is more complicated than eyeball the level and tighten down the screws to do it correctly.

I never had to lap rings, I got the DNZ reaper 1 piece ring/mounts - what the heck is lap the rings and why do you have to do it?

Thanks!

Don

You lap rings to make sure they are applying even pressure and holding the scope tight. Also so that they are aligned with each other. Many factory rifles have scope mounting holes drilled off center. Also helps not leave ring marks.
There are many videos online to help you mount your scope. Just make sure everything is level and that you don't over tighten the rings.
A tall target test will let you know how well you did and also how your scope tracks.

DON.......I HAVE MOUNTED 20-30 SCOPES WITH GOOD RESULTS. ITS A STRAIGHT FORWARD PROCESS ONE STEP AT A TIME, BUT BE EXACT IN THE PROCESS. THE FIRST DAY I ONLY DO MOUNTS AND RINGS AND IT DRYS (SPOT OF LOC TITE). THE NEXT DAY THE ALIGNMENT OF THE SCOPE/ PERFECT EYE RELIEF. I HAVE NEVER LAPPED MY RINGS......ITS NOT VITAL.

MY SCOPES NEVER MOVE, AND ITS KIND OF FUN........YD.

There are several videos online from Brownells,Midway USA and others. My best advice is to get Burris Signature rings,and not have to worry about lapping or shimming the rings.I have the lapping tools and have used them in the past,but I use the Burris rings now.Check out their website and the video there. I also use a laser bore sighter in my shop,which saves time and ammo at the range.

Thanks guys! I got 1 piece DNZ mount so they "have to" line up? Right?

Never did it before and mounted all my own scopes. That said my 2 rifles never seem to hold zero like they should. Maybe this is why?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-16 AT 05:39PM (MST)[p]One of the important things to do is degrease all the screws and screw holes. I use acetone and Q-tips to get into the screw holes. Might have to remove some of the cotton from the Q-tips to get inside the screw holes. If you do not have acetone, you can use denatured alcohol or even your wife's nail polish remover, it has acetone in it.
Then use blue loc-tite on the screws or you can even use your wife's fingernail polish in place of the loc-tite.
This will prevent the screws from backing due to vibration from firing the rifle. It will allow you to remove the screws if needed in the future. Just do not use red loc-tite.

RELH

A one piece ring/base set will line up "most of the time". If the mounting holes are not aligned you can still tweak the ring bores such that they aren't concentric and cylindrical.

Two piece bases and rings will almost never be concentric and cylindrical but most people don't have the tools to measure them. They can be out a ways and not leave ring marks, depending on the scope tube.

Depending on the one piece ring/base set you bought, and the dollar amount you spent on the scope, lapping is up to you. I have a $2000 scope and it will never go into a set of rings that haven't been lapped. I've checked rings with a CMM and know how they line up so I always lap.

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-16
>AT 05:39?PM (MST)

>
>One of the important things to
>do is degrease all the
>screws and screw holes. I
>use acetone and Q-tips to
>get into the screw holes.
>Might have to remove some
>of the cotton from the
>Q-tips to get inside the
>screw holes. If you do