Problem Bears!

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I have garbage pick up every Wednesday. The garbage man always comes at about 6:30 or 7:00am. I set my can by the road before I go to work at about 5:00am. My neighbors don't get up that early I guess, so they set their cans out the night before.

Like clock work, the bear makes his rounds and scatteres garbage all over.

The real problem for me is the bear (it's actually a sow and cub) drags garbage over onto my place and I have to pick it up and deal with it.

Sometimes the bears will hit my can after I leave for work.

They make bear proof garbage cans. They have a screw on lid. The garbage man won't touch it. It's not his job to unscrew the lid.

If you shoot the bear, everything is good for about a month, then another bear shows up. (trust me, I know)

I guess my grandpa was right. He said the only thing worse than a domesticated bear is the domesticated Indian. (Sorry Ben!)

Eel

one a month can''t be that hard eel....wtf??http://www.cdapress.com/news/local_news/article_65972651-9003-5b14-b4e6-730e29ff6b8a.html
JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>I have garbage pick up every
>Wednesday. The garbage man always
>comes at about 6:30 or
>7:00am. I set my can
>by the road before I
>go to work at about
>5:00am. My neighbors don't get
>up that early I guess,
>so they set their cans
>out the night before.
>They make bear proof garbage cans.
>They have a screw on
>lid. The garbage man won't
>touch it. It's not his
>job to unscrew the lid.

Eel,
How many neighbors are there around you? Is this like a sub division type housing situation or am I way off. Up in Alaska we had bear-proof dumpsters in our housing units on base. It was a standard dumpster, but with a latching pull type pin. Pull the pin, open the lid, toss the trash and close the lid, the latch locked automatically. Maybe you could "persuade" the company to either have the guy open the screw lid trash can, get the dumpsters for the community to use like what we had in Alaska, or you could put the unsettling thought of possibility of being sued by someone for a bear attack. In Alaska it was a law that any wildlife couldn't be fed any trash or anything left out by people (on purpose or accident). For the love of God we had people get fined for leaving out pumpkins for Halloween, cause the moose would eat them. The company is creating an unsafe situation for you and your neighbors knowingly, which boils down to neglect. What have the last bear attack law suit brought in the last 5 years and those people that sued usually did something wrong to begin with. Hope it gets better.
WVBOWAK

Eel, you aint figured out how to make a garbage can explode, killing everything around it, when tipped over?? PM me :D

Just kiddin dude, I dunno how either but someone must!!

~Z~

Exploding garbage can sounds net. But on serious tone a few suggestions: talk to your neighbors and have them get up a little early and set out can just before garbage truck arrives. Or offer to set it out for them.

There are bear proof dumsters and garbage cans on the market but are spendy. You can modify a garbage can and attach a hinge and latch to the lid. But garbage truck driver would have to get out and unlatch the lid(I assume that the garbage trucks have sort of auto mechanical pickup device).

Talk to County and see what garbage Company is responsible for.

Not easy solution if others don't want to cooperate.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Eel, set out the B&C mossback tortoise shell you about got eaten by. That suckers so big.........
Right next to your garbage can, bear wouldn't dare come over to your house!!

OK.......Call a PETA rep and explain your problem. Stress that you do NOT want the bear destroyed and ask if their legal department will put up $23,000 to have the bruin relocated.

When you get the check, I'll come to your house, shoot the bear and haul it off, then you and I can take a guided trip to BC and kill some cool chit on PETA's dime......

".....but by God, I never said a word to a pig!"

WVBOWAK, I just live out in the country, not a subdivision. I can only see one other house from my house. I have about 800' of road frontage. I do think you have a good idea about talking to someone about the problem. If we could get the pick up time changed to later in the day would be good.

JB, I would have no problem shooting a bear a month. (or one a day for that matter). It's dealing with the aftermath that would suck. If I owned a back hoe to bury them, would make it easier I guess. We're so infested with bears in Kali that they kill more deer than mountain lions do now.(according to the local biologist). I took out my apple trees and my plum tree. I gave up a long time ago. Still way better than living in town. Now THAT scares me.

buttshot, I put my turtle shell out but the deputy sheriff made me put it away. It was scaring the neighbor kids.

Just like Indians, bears belong way back out in the mountains. Sorry Ben.

Eel

Eel, take 3 or 4 cans of Raid bombs or spray cans and wrap them in Bacon or some kind of meat. The bear will bite into the can and get a "bad taste" in his mouth. All you have to do then is spray raid in a circle around you trash or on it and they will stay away. Sounds dumb but it works. An old indian trick:)

Eelgrass
You always get to have all the fun. I almost had fun this weekend. I went camping. Well the camp host stops by and tells us that there is a bear just down the creek. Kewl I am thinking so I get loaded for bear. I also got my gun. He warns us because we are in a tent. He has this plan he tells everyone within 2 miles if they see the bear in camp to start honking their horns and try and scare off the bear and warn everyone else the bear is in camp. Well I took this girl with me . Well just after dark she runs over to get something out of the truck. Well for some reason she opens the door and the alarm (horn) starts blairing away! I am not sure what everyone in the camp thought but in the morning the camp host stopped by again and asked if we seen the bear. Nope I am sorry about the horn. He said well the couple staying across the way slept in thier car after they heard the horn.
Then my dog killed a Skunk in the neighbors camp. And for 2 days stright the neighbors act like it was my fault. Must of been Democrats. I tried to tell them the smell would go away after a week! But they thought I should still remove the dead skunk. Not going to happen I said. Consider yourself lucky!! Bears are better then a skunk sprayed dog!!! I don't know how that damn dog found his way home 150 miles but he did. And he still stinks!!

Rut

My ol man has problems with Bears and Javelina in his garden,
so he uses an extension cord cuts the end off drops a leg on it and hooks it up to a bare wire all the way around his garden then plugs it in,ZZZzzaaap!!! He does the same thing around the kennel when his bird dog goes in to heat, them poor ol stray dogs get to jizz alright, but it damn dure ain't from a poke.. :)
Not sure if the garbage man would appreciate something like that, but it would sure be fun to watch.

I'll tell ya though, I'd rather be pickin' up trash that a bear spread around, than deal with these Damn Rattle snakes i got crawlin' in my yard all the time.

Eel; I got your solution to your garbage can raiding bear. This one came from my hunting buddy who had the same problem at his home here.

Go to the hardware store and purchase 8 square feet of window screen. Must be the type made of metal, not fiberglass or plastic. Purchase a second section of window screen about 3 foot square.

Lay the 8 Sq. ft. window screen on the ground, must be dry ground, sit your plastic garbage tote in the middle of the screen. drape the smaller screen on top of the garbage tote.

Run a 110 volt extension cord out to the tote. Use a cheap shorter cord to plug into the long extension cord and cut the other end and attach two alligator clips to the two wires.

attach one alligator clip to the 8 ft. screen and the other alligator clip to the smaller screen draped over the tote. plug in to 110 volt outlet.

when the bear steps on the screen on the ground and touches the smaller screen on top with his front paws, he has completed the electrical circuit and will get his hair curled. My buddy said to expect a lot of noise when the bear gets jolted and heads for the hills in high gear.

My buddy also said to unplug the device and remove the top screen before your garbage man comes by in order to stay on good terms with him.

RELH

Good advice from RELH.. but he forgot a step... set up video camera on tripod to record the event..lol

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

RELH, some how, some way I gotta try that! I wonder what it would do to a racoon?

BS, the video would be priceless. LOL

Eel

Got to have a video of that.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Eel, if you use that methold, any bear or racoon will not come back and put your trash can on the "Do not disturb" list.

When my buddy did it to a bear that was hitting his can almost every night, he told me that he heard the bear let out a awful bawling noise and it sounded like a tank crashing though the trees as he fled the scene. Never came back either.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom