Preference point/application question

mevertsen

Very Active Member
Ok, I am somewhat confused on Wyoming's application system with the different ways to apply to get one tag.

I bought a preference point for antelope this fall (before Sept. 30), and am planning to apply for antelope next year.

The area I am researching (area 69), appears to have had 100% success in drawing for 2011 with 1 PP.

Now, when I apply, in order to use that PP to draw a tag, I have to apply in the PP draw correct? I have to pay that extra $30, correct? If I don't draw, I get a PP, and all is well. If I DO draw, then do I get a refund for that $30 since no PP was issued? Also, if I apply in the PP drawing, and don't draw, then am I issued a PP, and then placed into the Random draw as well?

Just wanting to clarify things a little bit. It all seems to complicated for me at the moment.

BTW - I chose area 69, because of success my friend had out there this year, the amount of public land that appears to be available, as well as the PLPW land as well. I am not in need of a booner, but I do plan to apply for the doe/fawn tags as well, and be somewhat selective should I draw the any antelope tag.

Thanks for any help.

Marcial

"Now, when I apply, in order to use that PP to draw a tag, I have to apply in the PP draw correct?"
incorrect, there is no separate PP draw.

"I have to pay that extra $30, correct?"

no, you pay the $30 so you get a PP if you don't draw a 1st choice hunt.

"If I don't draw, I get a PP, and all is well."

Yes, If you paid the $30.

"If I DO draw, then do I get a refund for that $30 since no PP was issued?"

yes

"Also, if I apply in the PP drawing, and don't draw, then am I issued a PP, and then placed into the Random draw as well?"

nope. You are entered in the draw, either the regular or special, depending how much you want to pay. A percentage of the tags are drawn by the max point holders. The remaining applicants and tags for that hunt are then drawn in the random draw. If your 1st choice is drawn in the random draw, you lose your accumulated points. The PP draw and the random draw aren't draws that you can chose to apply in, they are one and the same with the exception, PP's are used to award a percentage of the tags initially.

I had the same question about the random draw now that I used up all my points. So does that mean the second choice is a waste of time as none of those choices are in the random draw? Or are they?

I'd like to keep accumulating points yet still get in on the random draw, but that doesn't sound possible.

You will always be in the random draw, regardless of your point level, unless you get a tag in the "max point draw". And, it's possible to draw a tag in the max point draw with zero points.

download the 4 demand index reports.

The question is, will I be in the random draw with my second choice, and will I lose my PP if I draw in the random draw with my second choice?

If this is like it was before PP points, your second choice was basically worthless if the draw wasn't 100% for a first choice (which most are not).

They look at your app and match it to the hunt you pick, all 1st choices looked at first, so, you will be in the pref point draw 1st. If the tags have been taken by guys with more points than you, you will then go to the random draw for that 1st choice hunt. IF those tags are gone, you then go to the 2nd choice draw where points don't count (allegedly). When they get to your app, they look to see if there are any tags left for the hunt you picked. If there are, bingo.
You do not lose points when drawing 2nd choice full priced tags, nor do you lose them for "reduced price" tags, ie, Cow/Calf. You will lose them if you pick a type 4 Cow tag as 1st choice and draw.

I hunt WY Antelope on 2nd choice tags. Some are virtually guaranteed. If you want to hunt on a 2nd choice tag, you need to "carefully" pick your 1st choice hunt and be equally diligent in picking the 2nd choice hunt. You have to look at the demand indexes for the species/weapon type you are trying to draw to see if there are 2nd choice tags available.

Yep WapitiBob just did a heckuva a job shortening your learning curve and even gave a couple subtle hints on using the draw process to maximize your hunting opps.

Nice of you to take the time to spell it out Bob.

Just paying it forward. The only way to learn the WY draw is to have somebody explain it, as happened to me a few years ago. I learn new stuff all the time.
The opportunity to hunt big game in WY is mind boggling. Pick your units and you can get 2 Cow tags, 6 Antelope tags, and still gain points. Truly amazing.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom