Pre-64 Winchester Proof Marks

3x2

I just purchased a 1959-1960 Model 70 270 featherweight that does not have proof marks on the barrel/receiver (that I could locate) nor does it have a serial number engraved on the bolt. Everything else on the rifle looks original and doesn't give me any concerns about authenticity. From what I read the proof marks and bolt engraving were done together once the rifle was tested so I guess/hope it makes sense that they are absent. Other suggestions that I came across were that it was a factory gift to a friend/family or a "lunchbox gun" that was taken and assembled off site.

Has anyone else run across this or have any other ideas/suggestions? Thanks

From what I could understand of a lunch box gun, it wasn't just assembled off-site. The worker took parts home at will in their lunch box and assembled it there.

Ie. Stole the parts.

If it was a factory gift, I would guess it would have the proof mark.

No serial number……… I wouldn’t be taking it to a gun smith or try to trade it on a new one at Bass Pro/Cabelas. Not sure how that might work out for you.

Could be wrong but I doubt the ATF boys wouldn’t take kindly to leaving it in your possession.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, that is my understanding of a lunchbox gun as well.

It has a serial number on the receiver, it just doesn't have one engraved on the bolt like pre-64's typically do.

It's probably refinished, the numbers on the bolt were not stamped so they buff off pretty easy. usually what remains looks sort of like welding slag pock marks.

If the proof mark on the barrel is smoothed off that's typical for a reblue. if it's gone someone really got after it in the refinish.

Thank you both for the responses, the rifle is still in jail, so I haven't been able to look again or any closer. Once out I can compare to others and post some pictures.

From what I recall the receiver is matte and the barrel blued, but I didn't get the impression of re-bluing. If it was re-finished to the point of removing the proof mark on the barrel, I would think it should still be visible on the receiver?

As far as the bolt I didn't notice any anomalies besides there not being a SN. I'll certainly look again once I get it back in hand.

The proof marks were done last so there should always be raised metal on the stamps. very few refinishers take the care to preserve this.

The receiver should have a bead blasted look and the barrel is always a Tampico brush finish. rust blue super grades and oxide coated stainless barrels are the only exception.

The SN will tell very close to when it was built and in 59-60 there are very options on what it would be. the stock should be a high comb plastic butt with the wide checkering. in '59 an aluminum butt could be possible. rear sight should be the Lyman folding 16. anodized aluminum floorplate and hollow bolt.

Thanks Togwotee, I’ll check the bluing when I get it back. Stock, sight, and floor plate seem correct.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom