Potential Win-Win for NM Antelope Hunters

JFWRC

Very Active Member
For the 2011-2012 operating cycle!

A study is in place that would allow extra public permits to be issued on lands that are not signed up in the A-Plus system.

There are lots of lands in NM that are what I call "No Mans Land" where antelope agreements are not executed by ranchers holding the BLM,State Lease, or USFS National Grasslands "leaseholds". Currently MI hunters and archery hunters can access these lands if they hold a public license. However, "any legal weapon type" (rifle) does not get this opportunity. The big catch as always is "THERE HAS TO BE LEGAL ACCESS."

The department is considering the impact on allowing more permits to be issued for use on these type lands. They would be added as an option choice to public draw applicants. I have no idea how many would be issued to each region.....However, I do like the fact that in this case the current A-Plus system is left alone, causing less burden on ranchers having lease lands to post and monitor and the potential of MORE OPPORTUNITY to the public draw applicant.

I really don't think NM resident hunters will be satisfied as it will only increase their odds of a draw by a minor percentage but it does help. The amazing truth is that even if you restricted all non-residents in the current draw, the increased resident opportunity is less than 2% in the NE, 1% in the SE, .04/10ths in the SW. I think this will allow a greater percentage for both resident and NR hunters. Hunter satisfaction may increase as well. The big question is whether it would have a detrimental impact on the herd populations.

I think the public hunters win and I think the ranchers who like the system as it win.

Give it some thought. I'd like to hear opinions.

Jimbo

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom