Porcupines Protected?

>They are not protected but it
>is VERY bad luck to
>kill one. Ron

Guess I have couple hundred years bad luck, everytime one of my bird dogs or calves getg into one I go on a spree,,,,,

Unless you are protecting a tree farm for what reason would you want to kill a porcupine? They don't even make an exciting target and certainly don't dig leg breaking holes?

Skinning is the hard part and there isn't a whole lot of meat for the quill sized creature that they are, but they can make a delicious camp stew. Just brown the meat and throw it in the pot! Doesn't taste like chicken! More like PORK! :)

every now and then ill see one when hunting but never had an urge to shoot one. but ever since we saw that open season movie my wife has wanted one for a the room decorations lol "Buuuddddyy"

I asked the question because I saw an ad on KSL.com asking for dead porcupines. The guy had posted a picture of 16 dead porcupines that he had killed. In Utah, it's illegal to kill a porcupine, they are protected. KSL.com is a Utah based site, but the guy was from Idaho. I wasn't sure of his intentions.
I called the Utah DWR so they were aware, and I just wanted to make sure it was alright to kill them in Idaho. If not, he would have been in a heap of trouble.

I have no desire to kill a porker. Unless I see one running off with a shed antler :)

Thanks for the help

Anyone that hunts with dogs bird or hound knows what porky's do .
They will chase your dog down and try like hell to impale every inch of your dog.

Not trying to be argumentative, though it is my nature....but I have seen dozens of porcupines in my life and never in any situation would I descripe the way the move as the equivalent of "chasing" anything down. They are built to hunt tree bark and protect themselves.

You hunting with 13 year old basset hounds?

Just kiddin...

Yup they got a mean streak in them you would not believe and ambush techniques that are insane . How else are they able to catch all these hunting dogs :)

FYI, porcupine quills, skull, claws and guard hairs are worth money in the fur trade. If you know what you are doing you can get about $50 of quills, hair and other items off of a porcupine. Pulling quills can be pretty time consuming, but the guard hair is worth the most and it is fairly easy to pull.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom