Polaris RZR

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
Looking for info on who has one and do they like it! Also, how does it handle in the western mountains. Being 50 inches wide how is the lower center of gravity when taking tight turns? (tipping over?) Looking at buying one this year and getting rid of my Polaris 700. Any help?

Nerver thought about asking a question like that, but thanks, that is very useful. If it can't push snow, how does it do in pulling or towing something!

I would venture to say that if you are interested in towing, get the ranger xp 800. I bought the 09 xp and it's quite powerful. The bed can hold 1000 lbs, and can tow 2000lb.

The rzr is a great sport unit but for the all around the ranger would be alot better but it is bigger

They have a terrible design for wet and muddy conditions. The Polaris dealer came by our camp in October and had sheets of cardboard stuck in the door openings to keep mud from being slung on their legs. He had a new model and you think this would have been corrected after the first year. The designer must be a desert dweller and never been in the mud.

I hunted with a friend this past fall. He had a Rhino. Worked great with lots of range and power. It had the side doors and as mentioned this is more important than you think for warmth and to keep water or mud out.

I have one and love it. I replaced a sportsman with the RZR. It will go 90% of the places a regular atv will(legal trails). THe last 10% would be off camber places where you might have to lean off to one side of an atv.

I thought that it might be top heavy but I found that it had good lateral stability. The way the engine and passengers positioned leads to a low center of gravity.

The roll cage is a big plus. I think that they are safer than an atv as long as you wear the seat belt all the time.

It has great power. Way better than the dogs like rinos and rangers.

The only downsides are the limited bed space and break over angle. The bed space probably the same as a rear atv rack but way less than a rino.

The standard rzr at 50" is the only legal side by side to travel on national forest trails. If you get a rino or ranger say goodbye to traveling on any atv trails.

I love mine and dont think I will ever own an atv again.

Isn't the RZR the one with the pogo stick handle thing sticking out at the passenger?? Do they all come that way??

~Z~

My FIL has one and I have spent many a day on it in the Mountains above Sanpete County. I have never once had a problem going anywhere I could go on the 4 wheeler and have absolutely loved it. If I had the money I would get one in a heart beat. The best part of it is it is 50 inches wide so it is legal on all atv only trails!!

Thanks guys, good responses! For those that use it to hunt with, is there enough room to haul your gear and the animal? You said that it goes 90% of the places an atv will go, where can't it go. I live out west and the trails are not normally wet, they are dry. Has anyone rolled one over? How did you survive the accident. The bike's condition?

I have the Kawasaki Teryx and love it. Does 52 MPH and has gone places that I would be scared to take a regular 4 wheeler.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
square-large-sec.gif

You can use it on atv trails except in Montana. Montana law says 50 inches wide but must have handlebars and a seat that is straddled by the operator. Found out the hard way. what a crock of sheet. Laws should be the same on national forest in every state. now on state land they can make their own rules but national forest should be universal laws.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-10 AT 06:32PM (MST)[p]Make sure you go and sit in as many different utvs that you can. They all have a different fit and feel behind the wheel. I have a Rhino and i love it, i have not ridden my 4 wheeler in 3 years since i bought my rhino. Any UTV by any make is a good machine you have to find the one you like, try them all. I live in Utah and i have been on every trail a wheeler will go, they handle great and as long as you dont do things you shouldnt do they are safe. UTVS are not made for doing doughnuts or jumping or serious sidehills, i know from bad experiences. I loaded a whole elk, cooler, all my hunting gear and some firewood in my rhino bed last year had a 5 mile drive back to the truck and i couldnt even tell i had that much cargo behind me. Good luck and go have some fun.

I have one, I bought one of the special edition ones last year that was pink. It was the only way that the boss would let me buy one.

I live out in Utah and I am on that thing all the time, and I love it. I sold my Honda because it always sat in the garage. I will not have anything but the UTV anymore.

I looked at all of the UTV models, I went with the rzr because it has some spunk, and I am not old and fat yet so I wanted to get up the trail as fast as I dare go.

I have had it all over the west desert and all over the Wasatch and Dutton mtn ranges and I loved every minute of it.

It had plenty of power to drag an elk up the hill, and I was able to store all my hunting gear in it better then you can with an atv.

The only other one that I would buy is the Kawasaki Treyx, but that jsut because I want to put in the back seat, but I will never get ride of the rzr.

The only thing that I dont like about it is, its all wheel drive. You can turn it off, but when it feels slipping of a tire, it will turn itself back on. So when your hot rodding around you can roll. But for going on a trail the machine is awesome, it's great in the mud and snow.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-10 AT 10:38AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-10 AT 09:33?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-10 AT 09:31?AM (MST)

>
>The only thing that I dont
>like about it is, its
>all wheel drive. You can
>turn it off, but when
>it feels slipping of a
>tire, it will turn itself
>back on. So when your
>hot rodding around you can
>roll. But for going on
>a trail the machine is
>awesome, it's great in the
>mud and snow.

Huh? You might want to check yours out...it's not suppose to do that? MIne doesn't.. Shouldn't be engaging 4whl unless your flipping the switch.

I love my RZR. It's way sportier then any other utv and can still be used to hunt off of in the fall. As mentioned, doesnt have the bed size of some others, but I made a rack for mine that I use to haul two dog boxes and could easily toss a deer up there. I added aftermarket tires/wheels, lift, windshields and doors. Not top heavy and drives great. Yeah you can flip it if your doing 50 around corners...but thats the same for all the utvs.

The width issue is big. More and more trails in UT are getting the 50" gates. Been a few places where guys with rhino's are left sitting at the trail head due to being too wide.

>The rzr is a great sport
>unit but for the all
>around the ranger would be
>alot better but it is
>bigger

I'd say the opposite. The RZR is more all around and the Ranger is more utility.

772210109_2BKQG-L.jpg

772208831_Qgk8b-L.jpg

I also turned in my sportsman for a Rzr last year. It was a good up-grade. It makes for easy riding & overall comfort. The only thing I had to get used to was losing the 2 1/2" clearance underheath. But the skid plate works well.
1 other thought, unless you really like tons of dust in your face & eyes, do NOT buy the half wind shield. If you must have 1, I've got it for sale real cheap.

Yort.. racertech makes a great 2" lift for the RZR. That and with the aftermarket wheels, I've got plenty of clearance now. The nice thing with the lift is you don't have to have the preloads jacked all the way up on the springs (making the ride really stiff) to get the clearance.

The stock skid plate is absolute junk. Rocky Mnt ATV sells an aftermarket UHMW plastic skid that is way better then stock. I got a 1/2" UHMW from factoryutv, but if I was to do it again...I would go with the Rocky Mnt version..its a little thinner but a bunch cheaper.

One last suggestion...the 1/2 shields not too bad if you raise it up off the hood of the RZR about an 1" or more. This helps clear out the cab of dust a bit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom