Points Transfer?

chewyman55

So here's my question while we are discussing WYO sheep points: As a resident of Wyoming, I have 11 points. If I have to move to another state before I get a res tag, will my points then transfer over to non-resident status or do I have to start all over? Aside from the ridiculous cost of the non-resident tag, it would at least come sooner than the projected 9 years!

You'll keep your points but you will then be putting in for a nonresident tag which might take alittle longer to draw

I don't know how it works in Wyoming but with Nevada you have to request in writing that your points be transferred. It doesn't happen automatically. At least that's how it was a couple of years ago. Check into it.

Dont have 2009 figures, but going into the 2008 draw NR had 93 w/13pts, 267w/12pts, and 198w/11pts. They offer about 40-44 tags for NR. For residents there were 554,806 and 612 at 13,12,and 11 pts. residents get about 125 tags so do the math. The good news for NR is that a couple Areas had 100% draw for those with max points.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-08 AT 09:34PM (MST)[p]

One of the principal reasons there are more high-point resident applicants than non-residents relative to the number of permits available, making it easier now to draw as a non-resident than as a resident, is that during the period from 1995 through 1999 when an applicant had to front the entire cost of a permit in the application process, and then wait to recover a refund on rejection, the amount of the "deposit" required for a non-resident applicant was far greater than for a resident.

The relationship is pretty simple. When the cost of applying is low... many apply. When the cost of applying is high... fewer apply. If high-point non-residents now have better odds of drawing, it is because the relatively fewer numbers who chose to play the game (still relatively large compared to the number of permits available annually) bore a much higher price to gain their position.

In this respect, a high-point resident leaving the state and gaining non-resident status, improves his draw odds, without having had to accumulate points at the high cost of a non-resident. The downside is that to pull this off, one has to leave WY.

Not arguing the merits. Just noting the facts.

HornedToad

Horntoad,
You seem to know the points systems pretty well so I have a question.

I just left wy and am a non resident now. I have 14 moose points. How many other non residents have that many? Can I draw any moose tag in the state now? Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-08 AT 12:29PM (MST)[p]According to the WY DOW information, there were 9 persons with the maximum 13 points for non-resident moose going into the 2008 draw. Of these, only 2 entered the draw, and both drew tags in Unit 34, amounting to 2 of the 3 tags available for that unit. This means that 7 potential applicants with the maximum of 14 points will be available for the 2009 non-res moose draw, plus, potentially, yourself, and any other residents with 14 points who convert to non-resident status.

Based on this information, with the maximum 14 points you should be highly confident of drawing as a non-resident for any of the moose units in WY in 2009; UNLESS, a larger number of the max-pt applicants decide to enter the draw in 2009 than the 2 who entered in 2008, and they gang-up in one of the more desirable units, for example, 34, such that there are more max-pt applicants for the unit than permits allowed.

Good luck!

HornedToad

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom