Pointing Dogs :-)

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
I just got finished walking down and feeding my horses. On the way down the road, my male shorthair was creeping in front of me but I thought he was hoping to surprise a ground squirrel, maybe he was. As I came out of my barn I noticed the female was on point. I looked up the hill and she was honoring my male. I told my male, "What do you have Chuck?" Then I saw movement on the other side of a 10' tall bitter brush bush and could see a deer. I watched the deer and finally saw that it was the 25", 3X4 that's been around the house for about a month.

I was afraid he was on quail as I saw the first chicks of the year on the 23rd of June this year and didn't want them getting into a covey of week old chicks.

Saw that buck out my bathroom window yesterday morning. Him and a 22" 3X3 are eating the s%&t out of my flowers this year.

Pretty cool horse feeding for me tonight.

I will. I'm technology challenged. I have photos on my "new" "smart" phone. Not sure how to get them on the puter. And since I see both of them regularly, I'll try to get them on my camera.

Slayer, i was hunting Quail down Paynes Cr country and had bailed off the top of Antelope Cr. after a decent covey. As usual the birds went all the way to the bottom so i followed and picked up a few singles behind my Brittney Spaniel, George. We busted into another small group heading our way while climbing back out the canyon. I lost track of the birds but didn't care much and about that time i see my dog with one foot up on a tree trunk of a small scrub oak. He looked very much like he was pointing a bird up in that tree. As i walked over, i told George that if there was a Quail in that tree and i got him, that he was in for a steak dinner. There was, i did, George liked his steak medium rare! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Kool story.

4014imgp0717.jpg

Not sure this is the photo BUT this day my male went on point. I told my son to, "Get on his arse." As he followed the dog up and over a saddle, pointing and creeping, 2 does jumped up. No birds. But I think this photo is him going in for an actual covey flush.

And a couple of years ago in the Trinity Alps I brought him to help run deer out of thick brush. On one occasion he pointed and creeped downhill to a fresh deer bed. I never saw the deer but think the deer heard us and bailed before I got there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom