Point or Flush ?

I've hunted with both, and I can honestly say I enjoy the pointing dogs more than the flushers. There is just something about seeing a dog locked up, knowing that there is a bird right in front of it, walking over and flushing a big cackling rooster, which gets up right in front of your face. Compare that to walking behind a flushing dog and looking over and seeing its tail start wagging a little faster, you know there is a bird in the area, but for me it is just not the same.

Rut

I like the flushing dogs the best. Preferably English Springer Spaniels.
Mike

I like the pointing dogs when they lock up on a bird. But it is hard to beat a hard flushing rooster thats trying to escape from a fired up flusher. Some times I hunt my labs with 2 pointers. Whenever the pointers start to lock up I hit the sit whistle, It works pritty good. When I was growing up I had a shorthair it locked up so my brother went to flush the bird and it had pointed a skunk! they both got it good.

both,
but they must be able to retreve,
and locate downed birds.
nothing worse than a dog that just wants to point at ducks.

I've hunted mainly with Labs until my friend got a Brittney a few years ago. It's a good dog, points well, listens well but ain't worth a crap when it comes to woundies,seems to always be pointing at where the Rooster use to be before it took off running. I personally prefer a dog that doesn't hesitate to jump into an ice berg filled river, one that can retreive a Swan and one that won't be killed by a wounded Sandhill Crane. Basiclly dogs that arn't pu$$ys. My friends dog is diffentlly a *****. Thats the only pointing dog I have experience with maybe there are other breeds that arn't as wimpie and can handle Swans and wounded Sandhill Cranes.

Shotgunjim,
Sounds like that Brit just needs a little more training to figure out when it needs to hunt birds or start rounding up cripples. I can't say that my shorthair has much experience with swans or cranes, but I do know that I can hunt chukars with in the the middle of September at high noon and know that she isn't going to fall over like I have seen some of the longer haired (labs) do. She does shiver when she stands still in the winter (luckily she doesn't stand still much), but that wont stop her from swimming an icy river to get a bird. She may not be perfect, but I haven't found a fault yet.

Rut

LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-04 AT 04:03PM (MST)[p]I'm a retriever guy all the way but I still love pointers. When I was growning up I had a buddy that had a big male chesse. He used to brag about how he could shoot 20 ducks and the big retriever would never let one of them get away. Well we were out one day and we shot a duck. The big cheese went out swam right up to the bird then turned and swam back without the duck. Boy was my friend mad. To make things ever worse my little 55lb. g. short hair pointer swam out got the duck and deliverd to hand. She had never been duck hunting. It was great and really funny. I gave him crap about that day for years.

Ruttcrazed, You are right about hunting Chuckar in Sept. I can't even think about going with my dog until it gets cold. Hunting with my friends Brit is fun watching him work, he's a good hunter and probally needs some work on woundies. We've discused his short comings in the past and telling someone their dog needs more training is like telling someone how to raise their kids, especally with this perticular guy. My dog is not perfect either but when it comes to woundies he is relentless, there's been times when I wanted to give up, thinking the bird is gone and my dog just keeps on searching and comes up with it. I think, no, I know my dog likes catching live birds better than dead ones, you can just see it when he has one in his mouth. How long until Sept anyway?

The darker yellow dog can hunt in sept. He's about 69 lbs & can realy go. The picture was taken at lake powell just out from the Hite boat ramp. No water!

Shotgunjim,
I am watching the calendar counting down the days 'til September. I know what you mean about not telling a man how to train his dog, those could be fighting words! Hopefully, with some good spring moisture the chukar hunting will be as good as it was last year.

Littlebuck,
Great pic! I don't envy you when the feed bill comes for those big labs, my shorthair weighs 55 lbs and I think she eats like a horse.

Rut

I was out spottting elk about 3 weeks ago & I could see chuckars running all over the place. They seem to be doing well up in this area.

It seem's like I buy dog food all the time. This picture is of a friend loading his chesse in my truck. I guess the dog hate's blue or something?

I have hunted over both, but, I prefer flush'in dogs. My Labs have an intensity for finding birds that is hard to throttle!!! I love that desire and determination. When I leave a field, I'm confident that we have "put-up" every bird that was there. That's a great way to feel about your dogs!!!!

Nothing like a durable, brush busting flusher for pheasant. For quail, nothing prettier than a pointing breed doing its thing.

littlefoot, i used to have a mule i had to load like that. he was only about 950 lbs. so, it wasn't too bad. i envy guys with good bird dogs. only hunted behind one once. it was a lab fetch dog. sure neat to watch. here in the desert the only quail we have will drive a pointer crazy. they won't hold for anything. drives the dogs nuts trying to hop around on 3 legs and point at runnin' birds. anyone ever use a dog for mearn's quail? looks to me like they would hold as tight or tighter than bobwhites or pheasant.

There both great..I have had a lab a chessie and my newest dog is a German Shorthair Pointer..I would have to go with the pointer when it comes to upland birds. Both my other dogs are good flushers but there is something about a dog when he hits a strong point...beautiful. take 'er easy JB

There is nothing like hunting upland birds over good pointing dogs. I have 2 German Shorthairs 14 months and 8 years, I bagged 92 birds over these two last fall and only lost 3 pheasants.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom