Point Creep Patience Test

440sixpack

I don't have to tell you about point creep , but I'm starting to feel like a dog chasing it's tail.

I'm a NR sitting on 17 elk points. I'm considering going for one of the better late tags because I think I can draw . I don't know if I'll ever draw an early tag that will beat the quality of say a Pahvant late tag now.

Utah quality seems to be slipping a bit so I'm not sure time is on my side either.

Would you pull the trigger or hold out?

Stay thirsty my friends

17 points--Late--NR = Boulder.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I feel your pain; right now I'm at 18 for deer and 15 for moose. I may have to retire to Utah in a couple more years and become a resident. :(

If I were in your position and wanting to draw a tag this year and do the hunt DIY and have the chance at an older age class bull I would put in for an early hunt. The late hunts are more difficult than most people think they are. The majority of bulls taken on late hunts are younger bulls or have busted up antlers. Most of the mature bulls are in the nastiest country the unit has to offer, they hold up in the thickest cover possible and don't move much to recover from the rut and if a storm comes through it can make access a real challenge. With that said most of my knowledge is with the southern half of the state so for me personally I would choose between the Mt. Dutton, Fishlake, LaSal Mtns., Wasatch early hunts. Much better weather and the possibility of some awesome rutting action. If you are set on a late hunt I would choose between the SW Desert, Boulder, or Pahvant.

"Utah quality seems to be slipping a bit so I'm not sure time is on my side either." You been internet scouting? This statement is untrue for most areas.

Took a couple minutes and put together the following list best to worst from my pov. Units you can draw for each season and leaving out the dog units which you could also draw.
Early units: Book Cliffs, Dutton, Fish Lake, Manti, Cache South
Late units: Boulder, Book Cliffs, Panguitch, Pahvant, Manti

Many options to have a real chance at shooting a quality, mature bull. Forget about having enough points to draw the best tags as you are late to the party. Focus on what you can do, not what you can't. You'll see that you can draw a hunt on one of the top 3 units in the state with your points.

Some good advice.

I expect to be in WY hunting sheep in September is part of why the late hunts interested me. I'm not feeling like maybe they're all they're cracked up to be.

With the point creep I'm not sure another year or two will help but I don't have to hunt this year. maybe I should wait until I have time and go for a rut hunt.

I tried for the early Dutton for years and now that I can draw it I've been told it's not anything like it used to be. I don't think I can draw the good Book Cliff tag with 17 can I ? I know there are several areas and I know nothing of any of them.

You're right, I am scouting on the internet like most NR hunters. I judge quality by draw odds, it doesn't always work but it's better than a dart board.

Stay thirsty my friends

Whether you are resident or not, we're all in the same position just some worse than others. There are several ways to help the situation, but the silence from the BGB is deafening. They can't think the new seasons they created helps much, if any.

The Dutton is still a great unit. They have been going after the cows pretty hard to get the herd down to objective but there are still some great bulls on the unit. Go to the elk forum and click on the thread titled "Utah sportsman elk" and look at post #5. I would call that a quality bull!

Point Creep or not I would hold out for a rut hunt. It will be well worth the wait. I know of a couple smoker bulls that where taken this year on the early rifle on the dutton. Believe it or not but MOST of the limited entry units still have many Great bulls on them if you just put in the time.

is a muzzleloader hunt an option? i think most are a couple pts less to draw then a rifle tag. just a thought

I would draw one of the early hunts you could draw now. You would have a chance at a big bull on any of them. Recently I read a quote that said "hunt while you can, you will run out of health before you run out of money." It hit home with me. I decided to burn 8 Wyoming points on a green chip unit instead of hold out for a blue chip unit. I feel good about my decision.

I think I'll stick to the early hunts . but I'll have to wait a year or two before I have time in September.

I think all the units I can draw now are in the northern part of the state, from what little I've been in it seems awful brushy. that's why I've tried to stay south.

Stay thirsty my friends

I heard you the first time.

I think you left something in the freeway you better look for it after dark.

Stay thirsty my friends

>I heard you the first time.
>
>
>I think you left something in
>the freeway you better look
>for it after dark.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Stay thirsty my friends

LMFAO! Come on 440.... he just wanted to be heard!

Rifle hunts you would likely draw:

Book Cliffs Late, Manti Early & Late, Pahvant Late (chance), Lasal LaSal Early & Late, Dutton Early & Late, North Slope/Three Corners, Panguitch Late, Paunsaugunt Early, Boulder Late, Fishlake Early & Late, South Slope/Diamond Mtn Early, Southwest Desert Late, Wasatch Early & Late.

Muzzy hunts you would likely draw:

Book Cliffs Bittercreek South, Manti, Nebo, LaSal LaSal, Dutton, Fishlake, Wasatch.

With as many points as you have, a Muzzy tag might be a difficult choice. Even though the dates seem like this would be a great year to have a muzzy tag.

After some of the bulls taken on Fishlake last year, that Early hunt might be a great one for you. Dutton Early has got to be up there with that one. Those would be my first two options I think. Boulder Late would be a fun hunt. The country is beautiful and there are lots of bulls.

Frankly, I think you should go for an Early tag. Why else would you have waited this long..??

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom