point advice

carterj16

That time of year, Im from Idaho and hunt here every year, I buy points in Wyoming for all 3 (deer elk and antelope). I also do Colorado deer. Im looking to add 1 more state or hunt to the point game.

Looking at Colorado elk

Looking at Utah because I can buy points for everything (deer, elk, sheep, Mnt goats)

looking at Nevada deer but not real hard.

Also thinking of just doing New Mexico deer/elk and hoping for the best.

Based on how long it takes to get decent tags and the cost what would you guys recommend. thanks

I have point in Utah, Wyoming (I am now a Wyoming resident so they don't work for deer, elk or lope),Colorado and Arizona. There are a few good elk hunts in Utah that can be had as NR with only a few points. New Mexico is goiing to be very tuff unless you use a guide. I would skip Colorado elk. I have 13 points and want out of that circus. I have also looked at Nevada but have not made the jump yet...
If it were me I would look to Utah elk or Arizona. With 6 to 8 points you have a shot at a decent hunt in both states.

The tough part about just getting into the game here in Utah is the point crawl you'll have to contend with... If you start putting in now for a tag that took 10 points to draw in 2011, you will not be in the bonus pool for probably 16-17 years... You can always get lucky of course, but if you are relying on luck, you may as well put in for the most prestigious units out there, not a lesser unit that took just 10 points to draw in 2011...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

>That time of year, Im from
>Idaho and hunt here every
>year, I buy points in
>Wyoming for all 3 (deer
>elk and antelope). I also
>do Colorado deer. Im looking
>to add 1 more state
>or hunt to the point
>game.
>
>Looking at Colorado elk
>
>Looking at Utah because I can
>buy points for everything (deer,
>elk, sheep, Mnt goats)
>
>looking at Nevada deer but not
>real hard.
>
>Also thinking of just doing New
>Mexico deer/elk and hoping for
>the best.
>
>Based on how long it takes
>to get decent tags and
>the cost what would you
>guys recommend. thanks

1. The Colorado elk is fine if you are OK hunting a 5x5 or small 6x6 unit. You would want to accumulate 2-3 points and then burn them, because after that you'd wait forever to take a step up in quality.

2. Definitely forget Utah. Totally not worth it if you are entering on the ground floor. Do the math. Look at their horrific NR odds since SFW stold half the NR tags. And mark my words, they will return for more. I have 15 deer points there and 5 for everything else and I am throwing them all away after I get my deer tag. That should tell you all you need to know about the return on investment there. Powerball lotto odds for NR's since SFW.

3. Nevada is a good choice, but since you are required to buy the license to retain points, you should buy points for all the species.

4. Jury is out on New Mexico until I see the draw odds with their new system.

5. Arizona would be a good choice, IF SFW doesn't return to steal NR tags. That is about it.

Stay away from Nevada unless your damn lucky or you got along time buying points. I'm in Nevada $1848 dollars for deer and don't even own a tag yet. It isn't like I've put in just the toughest units. When I had 10 points I put in for 5 different muzzleloader hunts. And didn't draw. My friend owns a accounting firm. One day he had one of his accountants spend the entire day getting data, and he came up with that Nevada gets approx. $25.000 dollars for every NR deer tag they sell. I'm in so deep, but I can't just quit now. If I where you I'd do Arizona. Or just save up and buy a permit every 5 years or so. What do you think a Nevada landowner tag would have cost me in 1999? Probably not anymore than $1848 dollars. People that say Nevada has the best draw system, are the ones that have drawn with 4 points or less. Wait until they have 13 or more points then see if they say Nevada draw system is great.

You should apply for Utah this year. The new management and the special interest lobbying will grow more bucks on the general units. make sure you buy the general deer point. In 3-5 years you could have a decent deer tag and in the mean time you could gamble and apply for some limited entry tags.

>Stay away from Nevada unless your
>damn lucky or you got
>along time buying points.
>I'm in Nevada $1848 dollars
>for deer and don't even
>own a tag yet.
>It isn't like I've put
>in just the toughest units.
> When I had 10
>points I put in for
>5 different muzzleloader hunts.
>And didn't draw. My
>friend owns a accounting firm.
> One day he had
>one of his accountants spend
>the entire day getting data,
>and he came up with
>that Nevada gets approx.
>$25.000 dollars for every NR
>deer tag they sell. I'm
>in so deep, but I
>can't just quit now.
>If I where you I'd
>do Arizona. Or just save
>up and buy a permit
>every 5 years or so.
> What do you think
>a Nevada landowner tag would
>have cost me in 1999?
> Probably not anymore than
>$1848 dollars. People that say
>Nevada has the best draw
>system, are the ones that
>have drawn with 4 points
>or less. Wait until
>they have 13 or more
>points then see if they
>say Nevada draw system is
>great.

All depends on what unit and weapon you choose. There is a lot of good deer hunting in the state that is relatively easy to draw. But if you choose one of Jason Carter's top 5, you will probably be waiting a while.

You have to do research in NV. And apply for everything, which will cost you around $260 every year to apply. You do get the hunting license though, and can hunt all year for vairous species.

Last year, my friend applied for antelope with 0 points (archery). He drew, and there were 3 other people that applied for the same unit he did. None of them had points, and only one was unsuccessful. There are a lot of areas where its reasonable to have a NV deer tag every 5 years as a NR, and archery antelope every couple if you don't actually kill one. Elk and BHS are a totally different story, and it would be just worth it to throw your name in the hat, IMO.

Here is the link for the bonus points.

http://www.ndow.org/hunt/apps/bonus/index.shtm

yes, do UT because its not that expensive and who knows what may happen with the general tags in the future.

also do nevada or AZ. they both require the purchase of a license of apprx 150.oo. there are decent elk hunts and coues deer that you can draw pretty easy in AZ. good luck with antelope. in nevada there are good deer and antelope with hopes of good elk.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com

thanks for the input, I was hoping for some state to lead the way but everyone has different ideas. I guess put in for them all and hope for luck

What kind of hunt are you looking for? In Utah and Colorado it makes a huge difference if you're trying for a top end unit. That's where the point creep will hit you hard.

Utah does have one of the cheapest non-resident hunting licenses around so that helps and the fact that you can apply for all the species is a plus. It looks like most of the non-resident tags are like the lottery with chances of drawing anywhere from 1 in 4 to 1 in several hundred. There is a great draw odds website that you can look through for your Utah draw odds - www.biggamedrawodds.com Hope that helps. Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom