poaching penalties

justr_86

Long Time Member
I know there are a few lawyers and law enforcement individuals hanging around here and I have a question for you.

What is the best way to get poaching penalties more of a punishment than a slap on the hand?

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I would say you are going to have to get in touch with your state representatives and start pushing for legislation to make the penalties more harsh. I would imagine that it will take at least a year to get it through all the hoops and hurdles that it takes a law to get passed. In Ohio they started basing fines on what the score of a buck was. Not sure what they do with does but I know that 2 University of Toledo students paid about $13000 for a buck that was called Big Boy. He lived in a metropark and they shot him in the middle of the night. They then falsified state check in documents, went to BassPro to show the deer off and posted it on the DNR website where successful hunters put their pictures. Didn't take long for someone to recognize it and turn them in.

The deer actually had a big news story written on it the summer before they shot it.

Good Luck

Most of the slap on the wrist problem comes from judges who are unwilling to execute punishments that fit the crime. The only way around this is to enact minimum mandatory sentencing laws associated with the particular offense. Minimum mandatory sentencing laws essentially bind the judge to pass down certain punishments upon a plea of guilt or conviction of a certain criminal offense. Short of these, judges typically have a significant margin of discretion when it comes to sentencing.

To answer your question about bringing change. Everything of this nature happens on the legislative level. It has to be tabled and sponsored by a member of the legislative branch, after it has to survive a legislative committee and get the nod of both legislative branches where it may finally be signed into law.

Realistically, you would need to either have the ear of a state senator or representative by having several voices to push your cause. Typically these will be from grassroots movements. The down side, if it is not politically expedient for someone to grab onto, it may take many years before it is ever given serious consideration. Also, in times such as these with the economy, unemployment, and the related budget issues, poaching will not even be a blip on the radar 'to do list.' On the other hand, if you do nothing, then nothing will change either.

The single most effective thing you can do in terms of bang for your buck is simply write your senator and representative and tell them your thoughts.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Thanks 1911. I will be sending a letter. One letter won't do anything though. If you feel the poaching penalties are too light write a letter too.

It will only take ten minutes who knows it might change something.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom