Please help - Unit 64 late elk

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Not being able to hunt out of state in September & October due to work leaves me with having to try to draw very early or late hunts. It seems with max points my friend & I have a very good chance to draw this hunt. I have been unable to contact the biologist for the last few weeks and was wondering if anyone has any info on this hunt. The lower portion of the unit is reservation. Is there enough hunt-able public land that the elk are on that late? We will be hunting on foot out of our camp (no horses). We would like to have a good chance at 300 plus bulls if we do our part. Are the bull's antlers starting to get broken up this time of the year? Has anyone hunted this in the past and is willing to answer a few questions? I would really talk to talk on the phone, but PM's would be great.

Thanks in advance
Bill

I'm not really familiar with the unit to answer some of your questions, but I do have a CD ROM of Wyoming and I pulled up elk unit 64. There is about 20 square miles of BLM land not too far out from Thermopolis and about half of that is near the Reservation. Then going up into about the northern 1/3 of the unit there is a lot of BLM and State land. The season was 11/1-11/15 last year and the rut is in September to the first part of October out there, so there is a chance that a bull will be busted up then, as compared to earlier in the archery season. Sorry I can't help you any more than that. Good luck!

I don't know about the lower part of the unit when we hunted most of the elk were in the higher country but they were mostly in the private ranches, we went 1 for 2 saw mostly smaller bulls, did see hundreds of elk when looking into the private but we wouldn't pay the tresspass fee's I wouldn't pass any decent 6 point. Max points? up to you still fun to hunt.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom