Pistol?

justr_86

Long Time Member
I am looking into buying a pistol. A 1911 is what I think I want because it feels best to me out of all the pistols I have held, some Glock's were ok. I like the Springfield's and the new Remingtons. I wish I could afford a Kimber.. What experience have you had with them? I will have my concealed carry permit pretty soon, but I dont know how often I will pack it. It will be more for just having in my truck/car or camper just incase... What are the pro's and cons to a 45 over a 40?

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Recently bought a Glock 23 in .40. I love it. I have shot several other glocks (20 in 10mm, 22 in .40, 31 in .357 sig and .40, 33 in .357 sig) and like the feel and size of the 23 best. I really can't speak to any of the others you ask about. I'm sure 1911 will have a thought or two. :)

I have the Springfield XD in a 9 and a 40. Love the way they shoot. My 40 is the compact version even with the shorter barrel it still shoots perty good.

Bucks and bulls may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!

If you want a 1911, go with the Springfield and you will get your money's worth.
Kimber is a good gun, but sometimes over rated for what you pay for it. They have a match barrel, but will not hand fit the barrel & bushing for best accuracy. Regular assembly line put together and sometimes you get lucky on the parts fitting tight and getting good accuracy. Sometimes they are a loose fit and poor accuracy. Also slide to frame fit is important to good accuracy. Always test the fit to see if there is excessive movement of the slide when in battery. If it has excessive movement, pass that gun by and test the next one the dealer has.
I have a Colt National Match 1911 that was made in 1962 and it will put 8 rounds into a 1-1/2 inch group at 25 yards. Came from the factory that way. But back then Colt hand fitted the parts for best accuracy in their National Match pistols. They charged you a good price for it also. No factory guns have that anymore and it is hit and miss with good accuracy and relibility.

RELH

Will my wife be able to hold on to a 45? she is pretty comfortable shooting, just wondering if it will be too much for her? I just got back from looking at a springfield XDM 40, felt really good and there were 2 other guys looking at other guns that had the XDM and really love it. They said its very comfortable to shoot and one guys wife was there and she said she loves to shoot it. I would really like to shoot the pistol before I buy it. Does anyone in the basin area have a 1911? or the XDM 40?

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

go to a range, may have to be a indoor range, where they rent pistols for shooting and let her try a few out. I am willing to bet she would prefer the 40 cal over the 45, but some women will fool you.

RELH

I would have to go to salt lake to go to a range that will let me rent/shoot one.

Do you live in the basin rutnbuck? That's a nice gun!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I really like my Glock 29! .40 cal and fun to shoot as well.

Piper, how's your period?

Zigga, don't forget the knee pads!

Hdude, Lil' Jimmy wants his share!

Just86 The only time I go to the Basin is for abuse. I live in Ogden. Worked in Vernal all last summer tearing up the steets. Rutnbuck

Which one to get...I like the .45 for CCW because it offers better penetration. I have always felt that mass is king when it comes to stopping an attack, assuming good shot placement. Did my own penetration tests on ballistic gelatin and the .45 penetrated further and created a bigger permanent wound cavity every time.

That being said, one of the first handguns I recommend to female shooters (I've taught CCW for about 25 years) is either a compact Kimber or a Taurus Millenium. My wife is kind of a runt, body size, and she handles the .45 Taurus without much of an afterthought. Recoil...yea, it is there, but more controllable than I thought. However, one of the drawbacks is finding a good carry holster. For some reason, the extra frame width (the Taurus carries 10+1) seems to be a problem when considering carry holsters and grip mounted laser lites.
The same can be said for my other double stackers...kinda tough to find a good holster. I really like the holsters made by FIST.

I have 4 different Kimbers and love each of them. The one I carry most is my Polymer Target. Love the feel of it and love the accuracy.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

"That being said, one of the first handguns I recommend to female shooters (I've taught CCW for about 25 years) is either a compact Kimber or a Taurus Millenium..."

Kenny, I'll be in the Basin next weekend if you want to shoot my .45, I have the Taurus Millenium. The recoil isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Your wife can shoot it too if she wants.

Congrats on gettin your CFP!

Nocked N Loaded

The 1911 is arguably the finest pistol ever, however it takes dedication to master it. The other pistols you mentioned, of the "Glock" type action are much easier to master. You state that the weapon would be a "just in case" weapon. If you are not planning on spending a substantial amount of time and effort on training I would suggest you stay away from the 1911 platform. Regardless of your choice, this is a life insurance policy. Become familiar with it to the point that using it is a reflex. Also, both the .40 and the .45 are proven man stoppers. Any caliber will kill, stopping is another issue. For me it's a 1911 in .45acp. I've carried one, of one make or another for about 30 years. My current favorite is a Kimber Eclipse Ultra II. Had problems with it out of the box. Sent it to Kimber, they sent it to their "Custom Shop", did two and a half pages worth the work to it and had it back to me in two weeks. The weapon has been flawless since! No malfunctions period! Dirty, clean, mixed ammo, limp wristed the gun has had close to 1000 rounds through it without one malfunction since they re-worked it. I would be lying if I said I was happy from the get go. You spend that kind of money for a weapon just to have it malfunction dang near every time you pull the trigger kinda ticks you off. I sent a letter with the gun stating repair it, exchange it or refund my money. The service I received was as good as any I have experienced.
Hell, buy both!
Good luck!

Norkal

INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom