Pistol Packin

B

BreederBuck

Hey gang, Looking for a good all around pistol, I want somthing that is small enough to conceal and light enough to strap on or throw in my backpack for long days hike, yet big enough for bear country. I know thats a tall order,(trying to compact dirty harry into a 4" snubnose). Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts....

For Black Bears and the boogey man I like my Ruger SP101 in .357 Mag. It is small enough I don't even know it is there. It has a two inch barrel. Fortunately Grizz does not live in Colorado. I used to pack a Super Blackhawk .44 mag with a 7.5 inch barrel. It was just too big and heavy so it ended up first in the pack where you couldn't get to it quick and then left at home.

Beanman

Wow - what a great question. But luckily you have some great answers.

If you are looking for a revolver, I second Bean Man's opinion on the SP 101 - great gun with a small barrell - easily concealed, low profile and lightweight but stainless steel and double action. You will see nothing but positive reviews from all the sites that review this weapon. I have seriously been shopping for a pistol for nearly a year now being very patient and thorough and this one tops my list considering price (about $100 less than a S&W model 686), durability, looks, feel and most importantly performance. The .357 is big enough for any bear you will come across in most of the lower 48, (though many would argue - of course it's all about shot placement) but small enough to shoot without tearing your hand off. You can also shoot the .38's and can do so all day long. The .357 is however a very loud and distinctive - especially with that short of a barrel.

Now if you are in Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and Washington and the bears are bigger, you may not want anything less than a .44. In that case I would go with the Ruger Alaskan. Solidly built and good price. You can also get it in chambered in a .454 Casul/.45 Long colt and a .480 Ruger.

I like the Ruger's because they compare pretty much in every way with the Smith's and they are priced a lot lower. If price is not a problem, then go with the Smith & Wesson Night Guard Model 329. WOW - I AM IN LOVE! .44 mag / .44 SP chamber, 2 1/2 inch barrel - Scandium alloy frame with stainless PVD cylinder, matte black finish, Tritium sights!!! OHHHHH ROY LIKEY!!!! Super light weight and easily concealed in a .44! You will definitely have more felt recoil with this model however as it is a small barrel and light weight. May not be fun to shoot a whole lot, but that always depends on the shooter anyway. It will be pricey. The MSRP is $1,044 - so you may find it cheaper, but most likely around that price, whereas the Ruger Alaskan will be around $800 but a lot heavier.

Those are pretty much in most opinions that I have researched, the best options for revolvers (double action). If you want single action, that is a different story.

Now if you are looking for an automatic - you have a lot of great options as well. You probably wouldn't want anything smaller than a .45. Still some feel a little light for Grizz, but you would get a lot more than six shots! Again, considering price, accuracy, reliablity and feel, I would go with the Smith and Wesson M&P .45. You will pay around $600 for it and will be every bit as accurate (or more so) than a comparably priced Glock. It has a 10 round Magazine - polymer frame, stainless steel barrel and carriage, great sights, great feel and great performance. It does not come in a compact model in the .45 but it does in the .357 Sig so that may be an option, but you will probably have to order it as that caliber is not as readily carried as the .45 is.

The next price jump up however is going to give you some great options. The H&K USP Compact is one I would definitely have if I could afford it. Also the Sig P220 Compact is a great gun.

Anyway there are a few ideas. I am sure you will get a lot of responses - this is a great question and fun to talk about!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Yes, good question. I been looking for a couple years now at the shorter barreled [3 1/2" i believe] S&W 460 mags. Yes,they're big and heavy but if you ever need a lot of gun...

Another plus with this one is that it also shoots 454 casul and .45 long colts, as is. Load it from to hottest bad a$$ loads available, down several notches, and all the way thru watered down L.Colt cowboy action loads for cheap plinking, you'll have all the bases covered. I see them up or down from a grand based on new or not. Myself, i'd go used from a guy who only thought he could handle it. Other priorities, just how it is!

Without reseaching brands, models and makes I can't tell who makes what, it has been awhile since I looked at pistols. If it was me I would look for a hammerless revolver with a Titanium frame in a .45 caliber. If you are looking for something to stop a bear then I would definatley go with a .45 these are just MY opinions. Again, in MY opinion I would pack a wheel gun, they can be cleaned in the field in neccessay, you don't have to worry about it getting dirty and jamming when you need it most. I know they make alot of relaible autos today but as far as I'm concerned if a Grizz is bearing down on me I want a gun that is simple, reliable and will function even if its been rained on, dirty or dropped in the mud. In MY opinion a wheel gun will peroform under these circumstances and like I said earlier if you had to you can clean it easily while in the field.

Good luck

Slide

If your looking at autos, a good compromise in cal vs weight might be a Glock 45 GAP with 200g Speer Gold Dot bullets.

The Glock 39 is the compact 45 cal that holds 6 rounds (8 or 10 optional) and weighs 25oz loaded.

The Glock 38 is the larger version that holds 8 rounds (10 opt) and weighs 32oz loaded.

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols_45.htm

Glock 36 is the compact .45 with a single stack clip.
It isn't very "controllable" upon firing for quick follow-up shots.
It does eat any round though making it easy to use any ammo. It even cycles hollow points just fine.

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

MIL.5101 Fragmentation Grenade, 1 each.

Even if you miss, you won't miss.

"for when you care enough to shred the very worst"

IMO if your talking black bears, although not my first choice the .357 might do in a pinch. I shot a big one 5 years ago and killed him with an easy 50 yard shot out of my 30-06 (180 grain Fail Safe). The shot thru the heart and off shoulder killed him pretty quick, but I was not impressed with how quickly he went down. He ran about 200 yards then wrestled around in a manzanita thicket for a few minutes before giving the moan. Had he ran my way, I wonder how much of me he could have tore up before giving up the ghost.

Although I'm a big fan of the .357 for two-legged varmits, my "bear protection" is a 6 1/2" .44 mag with 240 grain bullets.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-08 AT 10:17PM (MST)[p]I have been looking for a good gun as well for awhile now.
Just bought a .40 springfield auto.
Didn't like the bulkiness of the glocks, this gun looks alot like a glock but to me feels alot better in my hand. I wanted to get the .45 but ballistically the .40 beats it, knock-down power, and range. The .45 throws alot more lead, but apparentely the .40 beats it across the board.

I will carry it while I am bow-hunting bears, but I also got it just to shoot, and for home defense, between that and my 12 gauge, and my 12 lb shitzu I feel sorry for anyone trying to rob us!!!!

I got the full size model 'cause I have big hands, but it will conceal easily, and I can use it for a ton of other things as well. I've heard that the bear mace will actually stop a bear quicker than a .44mag??? If I was in grizzly country, I'd probably take the biggest gun I could and have the biggest can of mace I could get.

I've shot several bears with a 7mag and a .300mag, all of 'em died in a hurry. Going to Canada on a 2 bear hunt in May, gonna shoot 'em with my bow. Should be fun.

Have I got a gun for you!!
Small-framed CZ .32 acp... easy to conceal, light, 'an to shoot it all ya gotta do is hit the de-cocker (hmmmm... come to think of it, if I'd had it pointed down when I hit the de-cocker, it might'of done that to me!)!
It's pure hail on truck windows though!

In bear country you don't need anything large, jus' something big enough to wing yer partner so's he can't out-run ya.

Go get one of those itty bitty little .22 short revolvers. Bear jumps out in front of you just put a round into the leg of your guide and take off runnin!

:D

-DallanC

Really depends on wheel or self loader and budget. For protection from black bear or Mt lion IMHO, no smaller than 45 cal. I have a Berreta 96 in 40 cal and an EAA witness in 45 cal which I take when I'm camping or backpack hunting(where allowed of course...) and they both are very accurate as well as holding 10 rounds.
Anything caliber bigger would be hard to find in a small carry gun.
If money is no object Kimber and others make some very fine small frame 45cal self loaders.

Stop Global Whining

Go for a .454 Casull in the Taurus Raging Bull.
Not much recoil and it will fit nicely in your purse. ;-)

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom