Pink mold

jbarton30

I had a question has anyone here heard of pink mold on tanned hides. I finally got my stuff back from the taxidermist everyone has been having issues with (Justin) and my new taxidermist told me since that since he never took care of it like he told me he did and would it developed pink mold. She told me the odds of it being re hydrated were 50/50 on having the hair slip ( this is a bear hide). Does anyone have any insight or tips on what to do?

Is the hide wet tanned or dry tanned? I have seen mold mildew on hides before that I have received from clients. A lot is from moisture wen left in a bag at room temp too long. If you would like to bring it buy one day I would gladly take a look at it.

Are you sure they are tanned? If they are tanned, it should be easy for your taxidermist to rehydrate a dry tanned cape and assess how solid it is. I wouldn't even charge my client under these circumstances. Of course there is the understanding that it may slip, but how else can you know? If it appears solid after rehydrating- then they should be able to freeze the cape and get it in line to be mounted.

Pink/red mold in salted hides can be a real problem. If the hides are stacked and not turned over often then any moisture can cause mold and hair slippage. My tannery spoke often about it as their storage building filled up. I've seen salted hides with red/pink mold and I would say your taxidermist is correct that you have a 50-50ish chance of some slippage. A good tannery could rehydrate the cape and assess the hair before having to pay for the whole tanning process.

Are you sure they are tanned? If they are tanned, it should be easy for your taxidermist to rehydrate a dry tanned cape and assess how solid it is. I wouldn't even charge my client under these circumstances. Of course there is the understanding that it may slip, but how else can you know? If it appears solid after rehydrating- then they should be able to freeze the cape and get it in line to be mounted.

Pink/red mold in salted hides can be a real problem. If the hides are stacked and not turned over often then any moisture can cause mold and hair slippage. My tannery spoke often about it as their storage building filled up. I've seen salted hides with red/pink mold and I would say your taxidermist is correct that you have a 50-50ish chance of some slippage. A good tannery could rehydrate the cape and assess the hair before having to pay for the whole tanning process.
Yes it is tanned I had it tanned before I had it sent to him. With another taxidermist. The hair all around feels solid and I haven’t seen any falling out or fall out. I went out and blew it off with an air hose. And dust just blew out of it. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it will be fine this bear has been since day 1 having to go thru two different taxidermists and now onto the third (which is giving me no problems at all). But the last taxidermist really torqued me when I finally got my stuff back.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom