pig meat?

H

hangingmeat

i've just started learning how to butcher animals.

but can you turn a whole pig into bacon? well, you know, all the meat parts? just slice it and smoke it?

if a guy killed a wild boar, does the sausage and bacon taste just like regular pork sausage and bacon?

i know, it's kind of a stupid question, but seems most of the questions in the camp fire are stupid, so i'll join in... j/k

bacon is made from the lower ends of the rib cage. wild pig is great to eat. just like store bought meat. but the backstraps are way smaller in diamater then store bought. im not sure if theres enough fat on a wild hog to make sausage but u can buy fat from a butcher.

I killed a pig a couple years ago and had it butchered. The pork chops and sausage were awesome!! The hams and the bacon were not. I think it was the way they flavored the meat, it was unedible. I would like to get another one and have it butchered somewhere else. One trick is to go to your butcher and get some of their bacon, so that you can taste test before you get your meat done.

I'd almost rather eat wild pig than I would elk. Elk don't have bacon.

Wild pork and store bought pork are 2 different meats. Funny thing about pork is it seems to taste like whatever they mainly eat. So the sausage and bacon will likely not taste like store bought pork. Still good eats though...

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

+1 Smitty. I hear that too. Sample their stuff before you send your hogg to em. To this day, Redmond Lockers in Redmond Oregon takes the cake. World champions in my book.

Don't you have to be certified by the state butchering board to be able to do that?

I watched a guy butcher a boar on a board once. He ended up getting a ticket and having to appeal it before a judicial board. He swore up and down that all of it was above board though, in the end the became victim to a bored board and they gave him a heavy fine. So big he had trouble paying his room and board that next month. He ended up losing his home - had to board it up and move to a boarding house.
Burnin' up don't know just how far that I can go, soon be home only just 4 downs to go, I can make it I know I can! You broke the boy in me but you won't break the man! I can see a new horizon blazin' on the Mile High. I'll be where the eagle's flyin' higher and higher! Gonna be your man in motion, all I need's my Broncos team take me where my future's lyin' Tim Tebow's Fire! GO BRONCOS!

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-12 AT 08:04AM (MST)[p]Bacon is made from pork bellies.
The covering found over the top of the spare ribs and brisket.
I've had bacon made from smoked pork shoulder and it was A #1.
You need fatty cuts to get the right texture otherwise it's more like ham.

Big old gamey boars may look good on a wall, but ain't worth a chit on the table.
You want them young sows for eatin.

At Circle V Meats in Spanish Fork they make "cottage bacon" using the shoulder. It's sliced and not much fat and REALLY good. If you could find someone (or learn how) to cure your porkers this way you would be pleased.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom