Pics and story of early season hunt with the old man

TheFever

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-09 AT 09:35PM (MST)[p]Hey everybody, this is my first long post, so here we go. And I'm trying to do this while watching the Texas vs T. Tech game. Darn Utes and Cougars blew it. Anyway....

So my dad has never hunted an elk before, but I grew up as a kid hunting with him and all the uncles and cousins growing up for deer. So this year he got a general bull elk tag. Also, due to his medical condition, he applied for and got an early season extension hunt and also the permit to hunt from the road.

Thanks to the feedback from guys on this site, I researched a few spots based off their information, we decided to head east to the South Slope of the Uintahs. We had a 3 day trip planned and we headed out to Vernal where we stayed in the Split Mountain Motel. That was our rendezvous each night and where we got a good nights rest and watched Sports Center!

Roadside pic of Starvation Reservoir
4ab596221c67757d.jpg

My monster truck that I've put a 12" lift on and pull my 60 foot 5th wheel with :)
4ab596591d5e6bdf.jpg

Our Hilton
4ab596751de412e4.jpg

The first night we met up with a friend of a friend, a local named Carl who took us up the mountains to show us a spot or two he thought we might have some luck. Props to Carl for taking the time to share his knowledge and donate his time. The buck below had our hearts beating. I was hoping someone could shoot it and I could hurry up and put my tag on it and put it in the back of my truck! I'd of course have to be in full camo with face paint and put my big antler stickers back on my truck. :)
4ab5982026b50886.jpg

Opening morning had us sitting in a clearing looking over some water hoping a bull would step out. We had some bulls bugling around us in the trees, but they never showed themselves.
4ab598dc2c7dcf09.jpg

4ab598f02d486a94.jpg

We wanted to maybe take this one, but we were looking for something more in the trophy category.
4ab599152e0657e4.jpg

This pic was from a rocky, steep trail that we took up the ridge that I suspect is mainly used by ATV's, but it was a good opportunity to get off the beaten path.
4ab5998a312ac2ab.jpg

Some wild animals we were able to get close enough to photograph
4ab59a23360759a3.jpg

Opening day left us with good memories and a great sunset to enjoy.
4ab59a7138048d70.jpg

The second day we went to the North slope and covered some miles. Got some fishing in below the Flaming Gorge Dam, saw two different groups of wild turkeys, and ate at a small diner in Manila for lunch. Great Hawaiian burger. The 2nd pic is of Sheeps Creek canyon which was an awesome drive. God's country for sure.
4ab59b904125cc8b.jpg

4ab59ba741d75104.jpg

But here was the highlight of the day.....
Still no elk spotted up to this point, but as we were cruising around, my dad, eagle eyes, spots the head and ears of a coyote out about 200 yards. We stopped, put the glasses on him to confirm what it was. The suspicious yote started taking off, so I yipped out the window and got the yote to stop and turn around. My pa was locked and loaded at this point and taking aim leaning on the hood of the truck. At this point the yote was out about 250 yards and facing directly at us at sitting up on his haunches a little bit so he could see over the grass. The gunshot goes off and the yote disappears, no running off. Yote down. Here are the results. Shot of the decade for Mr John Wayne. Small target and for not having shot any game for over a decade, proved his skills. As you can see by the pics, the coyote didn't fair too well with a 185 grain bullet from a 30-.06.
4ab59e8958c80f38.jpg

4ab59ea1593c7eba.jpg

These last few pics are as the trip winded down. No bulls still, but had plenty of other good times. Since we didn't get a bull it allowed us to milk the rest of the trip and see more area. The lake is Red Fleet and then the lightning strikes were just out of Tabiona headed up to Soapstone pass.
4ab59f9761aad1b9.jpg

4ab5a2dd7bf7d8b4.jpg

4ab5a2f67cdac286.jpg

I'll always remember this trip and want to let my pa know that I love you and I'm so grateful that you've been so involved in my life. Hopefully we have many memories ahead!

-Jaron

>>>---->
For the love of the game

Those are great pictures of a good trip! Congratulations for the whole experience with your dad; not bad shooting either.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Looks and sounds like a awesome trip.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Looks like you had a trophy hunting trip for the books there. Thanks for taking us along with the pictures and story. That is what it is all about right there.

498a6f395e505405.jpg

A great reminder that it's not all about filling the tag. Memories like this last forever. Thanks for pointing that out. Great post.

You did well............................

Well done Jaron,

The time you spent with your Dad will stay with you forever. You accomplished a great thing.. its not the kill but the journey.

Destiny

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom