Pick a Year...

sageadvice

Long Time Member
...any year. 10,20,30,40,50 years ago and share with us your thoughts on hunting, the outdoor sports, and maybe what you were doing in your life at that time.

This could be a good thread. Lets make it so.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I was Born Too Late!

The year was 1972!

The Last year of Banner Mule Deer in TARDville!

I was too Young to Buy a License!

Seeing Herds of 150 Head wasn't a Big Deal!

PISSCUTTERS were in the 25"-26" Range!

Ya!

I Still Remember it!

43 F'N Years of different Battle Plans of Management that has FAILED!

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

50 years ago..........I wasn't even a bad dream for my parents yet, but dad was hunting big bucks and they were hard to come by. Sure, of the 300,000 deer hunters running around the state of Utah, some killed fantastic bucks, but most were killing little bucks and probably a lot of does. Might have been more bucks, and more big bucks, but given the fact most people still weren't even packing binos, even the giants of the time were most likely, simply called, "big buck". Not 210", not 190" and not 30" wide. It was just a "Big Buck". Most probably weren't even seen!
I'm not so sure I'd trade the hunting I've done over the past 20 years for hunting 20 years in the 60's and 70's. No, I don't think I would. I've had a good past 20 years of hunting.

Outdoors overall, I think now there's more fun to be had out there. I did an easy bike ride today of 12 miles and 2500' total vert. Back then, on the bicycles in my dads photos, riding to the corner market would have been too much! And I doubt those bikes would last long flying down a rocky road at 25 mph.
Not many people even exercised (by choice) back then, did they?

The advancements in nearly everything makes life so much more fun, in my opinion. I will admit, I'm not a huge fan of all the hunting related advancements, but only because with those advancements comes less opportunity.

I think we're all pretty spoiled compared to 50 years ago.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

I wont go into the specific year, or years,But. I remember Hunting with my dad out near Strawberry. I was to young to hunt big game, you had to be 16 then. I did however take my share of grouse,and snowshoe hairs. Every year there was some time we would have to dig out " ol Red" my Dads 63 2 wheel drive pickup. The hanging pole would always be full of nice Bucks at the end of the hunt. And it may just be that I was a youngster but, I dont remember a lot of small bucks. I remember Hunting Pheasants with my Dad and uncle's also. It was never a matter of bagging our limits, there were more birds than you had shells, we measured tail feathers to see who was the master. In my youth , and into my early twenties I ran a trap line. As a boy I trapped mostly Muskrats because I could walk my line from my home. I had trouble getting all the rats stretched, I only had 20 stretchers. I remember having all my stretchers full and 30 rats still to stretch! Am I in the minority when I say we used to buy a Deer tag for Archery and rifle and muzzle loader...BUT we could only take 2 bucks a year! Things are sure different now. Most people lucky enough to DRAW a tag shoot yearlings if they even get a chance. There are still grouse in my old stomping grounds but very very few snowshoes. There a likewise very few Pheasants where I used to hunt, Mostly houses where I trapped as a boy, The only things I trap for now are Coyotes and Bobcats. I still love everything about the outdoors and Hunting, And even tho times have changed, I try to make is a great an experience for mt children and grandchildren as it was for me.

Jeopardy!

I'll pick, "Now you done it" for $100.

Best way to get a thread nuked on MM

What is, telling the Owner that he looked at least 60? :)

50 years ago, i was 11, took the hunters safety course, and killed a couple bucks that year. I just knew that someday, the guys would talk about me as a hunter, the same way that they always talked of those good hunters back then.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

As an 11 year old (same as sage) I shot 7 bucks opening weekend of deer season. I filled all the old timers tags...and the rest is history. I should be serving a life sentence in the state pen for all the party hunting we did back then. Not proud of it, but it was excepted back then. This was in the wilderness and all were pisscutters. Damn how I would love to spend just one weekend with all those departed great Americans that have left this earth that i shared buck camp with as a green horn. How I miss them and still think of them often.

55 Years ago this June will be my Class Reunion again...yes 55 years when finished High School.

50 Years ago.....a number of things come up to me now. Was in Vietnam at the age of 23 in 1965 and lots of young ladies of the night.

45 Years ago I was still in Vietnam but settled down...LOL

40 Years ago was back in the good old USA and working and only one year away from becoming a Grandfather for the first time.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

1965 = 18 years old.

Rifle = .303 British Enfield, straight from World War II, $15, picked it out of a barrel full of them, based on the way the riflings looked when I held it up to a window in the store. Pulled the bolt and sighted it by centering a tack on the wall in the barrel and lining up the open sights, on top the barrel.

First deer I killed was a fawn mule deer, aimed at the doe and hit the fawn in the neck, the fawn was ten feet above the doe and three feet to the left. I was at least 75 yard away. I was 14 or 15, it was 1961 or 62. (I still shoot just about as poorly!)

All the land was private and already difficult to get permission to hunt farms and ranches. Landowners were allowing "special friends" to hunt but you needed to be "special", being friends wasn't enough, even in those days. Friendships only went so far when the deer hunt came around. About one in 5 would allow us to hunt their property.

Pheasants had taken a major set back in the 1950's, from bad winters and late spring blizzards, by the 60's the majority of the pheasant were gone but there were still pheasants on the ditch banks and the willow patches, but not like I remember them when I was in grade school. They used to cover then entire gravel road I walked to the bus stop, during a winter morning. Thousands of out of Province upland game hunters came to hunt pheasants and huns in the 50's but by 1965 it was pretty much just us local boys left chasing them.

Ducks Unlimited built thousands of acres of wet lands just out of town in the late 1940s and 1950s so by 1965 we had ducks eating us out of house and home. Hunting ducks over a harvested-flooded pea field, on the prairie, was nearly unbelievable. I used a short barreled 410 shotgun (cousin blew 4 inches off the end, shooting at a rooster with 2" of mud jammed down the front end). I can recall at least 3 times seeing three mallards fold and fall, from a single shot, out of that old 410 barrel.

It was easier to get permission, from the same landowners, to hunt ducks, they were depredating their grain fields badly. Many years we hunted ducks without a limit, to keep them off a field with grain in the windrows. Pheasants, we just hunted public road ditch banks, or our own Dad's farms. Only the rich folks got to hunt geese, again you needed to be "special" to get permission to dig a pit in the middle of a land-owner's barley field.

The large landowners and their American friends were having great goose hunts but us poor boys could only watch from the road. (It's still against the law for Canadian landowners to make money off wildlife, but, like today, they had "special friends", and it all worked, with a wink and a nod.)

For example: my Dad never charged anyone a dime to hunt pheasants or huns on our place but the money the Americans paid us to sleep in the bunk-house and even the granary and to eat at the house, sure came in handy, when it came time to buy Christmas for us kids. There were no motels or restaurants anywhere near that country, in the 1950's, only a couple of run down, old Hotel/Bars, 15 to 20 miles back over dusty, rough roads and those few rooms sold out long before the hunts ever started.

We lived 150 miles from anything resembling a mountain. Our big game was antelope, mule deer and whitetail deer. Not tons of deer but a few, out in the Red Deer River country, 90 miles north east, on a gravel, wash board road. Antelope hunting open up in 1964, after having been closed to hunting since 1927. Antelope were like flocks of mid-west snow geese, in those days. Thousands of them, every where you'd look. We shot the hell out of then in three years. By 1968 or 69 we'd killed so many (legally) they put them on a draw hunt, the first draw hunt for any big game animal in Alberta, as I recall. I never drew another Alberta antelope tag after they went to the draw. Pretty amazing what hunters can do to a population, if you turn all of them loose on a species, even back then, before hardly anyone owned a rifle scope. I still prefer antelope meat, over deer or elk, if cared for properly.

Never hunted elk, moose, caribou, bear, mt. goat or sheep until well into my thirties forties and fifties.

40, 30, 20, 10 years later, carved out the time (barely) to get an education which allowed it to be a continuous progression of trips, hunts, horses, wheelers, tents, teepees (lodges to our purest muzzleloader buds) buck skins, camo, wool, gortex, under-armer, boots, mucks, upgrades in vehicles, guns, gear and the pure joy of days in the sun, wind, rain, and snow. I've left my share of hide on the bark and the rocks. I've out lived damn near every joint, in every extremity and my bladder, but I wouldn't trade a pain or a lump for any other life style that's been available, I even enjoy a playing round of golf or a watching good ball game now and again, just for good measure. As far as I'm concerned, my generation, cut the heart out of the watermelon! Hope you all have seen it much the same.

These truly are the best of times.

DC

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-15 AT 10:28PM (MST)[p]I was 10 when Sage was 11,and I remember ...........what was the ?

Oh ya,deer where more plentiful and bigger.And elk are now.
I'll get THE BIG ONE yet,deer that is.Just getting harder.
Elk,different story for sure.
Fishing not nearly as good.
Hell,I rarely see fish in these streams in SW NM now.
I was 12 and our job was to catch fish and gather firewood while buddies GP went deer hunting here on the San Fransico River. Caught lotsa fish and Gramps bagged a huge buck. Wonder who has the rack now.
I've only been in NM for6 yrs and each day I feel like a kid watching the critters and thank my lucky stars it's still like it was before I was born.....except finding a decent buck.

The year was 2015. I had already spent several years prior hunting in a haven so spectacular, it felt like an island in Davis County. With a guide it was just a matter of which trophy in particular I wanted to shoot....oh wait I am sleep deprived. I'm not Denny.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>The year was 2015. I
>had already spent several years
>prior hunting in a haven
>so spectacular, it felt like
>an island in Davis County.
> With a guide it
>was just a matter of
>which trophy in particular I
>wanted to shoot....oh wait I
>am sleep deprived. I'm
>not Denny.
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Sleep deprived??? Now that's a good one !!!

2311idiot.jpg

1967. 216 ducks and 60 brant.(I used to keep records) All legal, all public land. I was going to college and had a job too. Amazing what a guy can do without a girl friend.:)

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Fifty years ago I was extensively hunting local blacktails and pounding as many hogs as I could and just learning about the real deer--Mulies!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-15 AT 01:56PM (MST)[p]I picked them all.

Not as old as some on here but, old enough to remember. In the 60's I was hiking along side my dad, or uncles or I was the dog to flush out the game. My dad was and uncles were much more into bowhunting deer back then than the rifle hunt. Kinda pioneers in the the bowhunting industry. Dad went to Bingham archery, bought his own cedar shafts, feathers, knocks, broadheads, hot glue and put his arrows together by hand (I still have have his old fletching equipment). Only recurve bows with a 60 lb draw (hold that back for more than a few seconds and see how bad you start to shake). My mom even bow hunted, she used a 45 lb bow (she was successful a couple times on does). My dad would tell us how in the late 50's and early 60's that there were so many deer on the mountain it wasn't uncommon to see herds of 20+ deer in every Aspen draw, from Dry Fork to Diamond Mtn.

I started hunting in the mid 70's. My combo permit for $25 got me fishing, small game and deer. I could hunt all three seasons and shoot two bucks. Bow hunting up on Diamond Mtn Range Study Area was a family tradition. Rifle hunting up Big Cottonwood Canyon for deer and Dry Fork/Red Cloud Loop for elk. I had my successes but, I sure wish I knew then what I knew now when it came to seeking out the bigger bucks. You see, my dad and uncles didn't care about size or number of points on an antler. It was the fun of the hunt and enjoying the meat of the harvest when successful.

As the 80's began and the deer numbers started dropping (all due to a numberous variables), I became more selective in what I was after. I continued to enjoy each and every hunt, I savored the time out in the hills looking for that speacial animal. Knowing I could have been successful but, letting some go knowing they could be there next year left me with a good feeling. With less deer to hunt I consentrated more on elk. Hunting off Red Cloud Loop and using a simple "elk whistle" to try and bugle in a bull (it's amazing how that technology has changed). My first bull was a spike with a rifle by Alma Taylor Lake. Then I moved on over to the North Slope and started packing back into the Wilderness areas.

The 90's rolled around and kinda a continuation of the 80's. I had to start putting in for draws and accumulating points though. I drew Moose in the Ogden unit and Elk out in the roadless Book Cliffs. A couple of the funnest hunts I'd ever been on.

Then a new century started and my kids were old enogh to get a tag and do their own hunts. I took them to Colorado when they were 12 for their first big game hunts. Started buying them points in Utah for hunts later in their lives when they had enough of them. Concentrating on them having a good and enjoyable hunt was now my priority. I've enjoyed that more than anything. My hunts took me to Colorado for a better deer hunt than what Utah could offer over the counter. Except for the year I drew a Book Cliffs muzzy deer permit.

During the last few years my daughter has finally drawn a couple of those permits I started buying her points for. Elk on Diamond Mtn and Bear on the San Juan so far, and again those hunts have been some of my most memorable. I've received significant satisfaction being with her and helping her be successful. I did draw a Mtn Goat last year on the Uinta West unit. That was a another hunt that rates right there at the top. However, like my dad and uncles did for me, I now prefer to help others like my kids, nephews or friends have a positive (sometimes successful) hunting experience.

Life's hunting priorites definately have changed for me during each of my last 10 decades. I'm now debating how much longer I'll be able to pack back into the Wilderness and bring out an elk on my back. I've beaten Cancer and a Heart attack. So, there must be some reason I'm still kicking around. I suspect it has to do with family priorities. I do have a few more hunting goals to go, fortunately most of mine have already been accomplished.

Smokepole

Great stuff Guys!!

40 years ago, i turned 21 while i was playing Football at the Univ of Arizona in Tucson. I really missed my Northern Calif Lifestyle, hunting and fishing, always something to do outdoor related. I had brought along my 25-06 in case i was able to hunt the little deer reported to be in that area but i never got a hook-up to find out how or where to hunt those little desert deer.

Hunting and fishing was replaced with racquetball and tennis. Though both games were new to me, i had top flight instruction and a likeness for the game, soon was able to provide competition to most anybody and i finally got good enough in Tennis to occasionally beat my regular partner, Arizona's #2 women's singles player.

So, hunting was put on hold, i was out of my element away from home, living in a huge desert. I did get to fish occasionally, there being a golf course nearby my apartment. I was told by the Golf Course grounds crew that there were no fish in those ponds but i fished them anyway just like i had learned to hunt places if the looks where right, no matter what others thought about the area. The water looked great, it looked fishy to me...

Looking back, those were some of the best years of my life but i truly missed home and my mountains. The following 10 years, i hunted.

Joey

While I could go back 50 years to choose which period to hunt, I will take the last five, as the best hunting of my life.
I have tried all my life to take an animal that is big enough to make "the book" but my first 45 years of hard hunting just didn't make it happen.
But in the last 5 years, my son and I have taken 6 animals that qualify for "the book". That's much better quality hunting than the previous 4 decades.
I started hunting deer in 1965, but deer are all I ever hunted for years. Most years we were happy to bring home a forky, but occasionally we would find a 4 point.
No doubt my son and I have waited our turn to draw some quality hunts, but from my perspective, these are the "good old days".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom