pick a watermelon?

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I went to the store this morning and saw a big bin full of watermelons. On sale $2.98 each. Against my better judgement I decided to buy one. I looked over dozens of them and finally picked one. It looked good, I guess. It was green and round, like all the rest.

I got it home and cut it up. It's just OK. Not sweet, kinda not ripe.

It's been years since I accidentally picked out a really good one. Is there a secret I don't know about? I may never buy another watermelon as long as I live.

This one came from Bakersfield. Isn't D13er from Bakersfield? I should have known better.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-11 AT 02:46PM (MST)[p]From what I know about d13er he knows how pick melons. I've seen first hand some of the ones he's picked.

NVB is Right!

CUPSY always likes to Fondle the Melons for quite some time before deciding rather they are Good Ripe Melons or not!:D

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Look for tracks on the Mellon's left from insects(the tracks look like scraped lines)The insects leave these only on the sweet melons......Jim

>Look for tracks on the Mellon's
>left

How do you know which is the melon's left and which is its right?

I don't mess with the melons with "tracks" on them already....
JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>>Look for tracks on the Mellon's
>>left
>
>
>How do you know which is
>the melon's left and which
>is its right?

If you are looking directly at the mellons, it will be to your right. Hope this helps.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Eel,
Pick one up and looked at the end where it was removed from the vine and if that is brown and dry looking and not green, then buy it. You can also hold it up to your ear and thump it with your finger and if the sound from inside is hollow like, then it is good too.

Now if you can get away with this old trick my dad use to do, take a small paring knife with you and cut a triangle plug towards the side of the mellon to the vine end and remove it, if it is a nice RED color...buy it. If not, place it back inside and hide the incision you made by placing it back in the stack where the cut can not be seen....GOOD LUCK.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

D13er does not buy watermelons in the store. During the hours of darkness he sneaks out in the melon fields and pick the best. sometimes he will sit out in the field and cut the melons open and eat only the sweet hearts until he is full.

RELH

I know a farmer that has a shotgun loaded with rocksalt that is still looking for that melon thieft who invaded his field during the night. Jef, are you still sitting down or is it a little too sore for you to set down.

Remember its not always about the size. If they shape, color and texture are right and also firm to the touch then they are probably worth purchasing. Diagram below.

melons.jpg

Well Feleno, they sure do look ripe. How do you think they taste?

I wonder if genetics plays a role? I suppose water and feed also plays into it. They need some age too. You can't pick them before maturity.

This topic is headed downhill.

Eel

Maybe this is how Eel tests them before He buys them?

funny-pictures-turtle-eats-watermelon.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-11 AT 07:35PM (MST)[p]Looks like Obama knows how to pick em
question-903847

How bout some Pumkins?

melons-huge.jpg

B-Bop...I'd post up some pumpkin pics but I kinda like being able to login here :)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/Feleno/zFix.jpg[/IMG] ~Z~

GEEZUS ~Z~!

Your voice changing a little?:D

>How do you know which is
>the melon's left and which
>is its right?

If you choose the way I suggested,when you taste the melon you will know you have chosen RIGHT!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom