Pic of Goat.

fatrooster

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-10 AT 10:37AM (MST)[p]Had this goat walk up close to me while I was scouting and glassing for deer. He was ten yards from me when I first saw it and when I unzipped my camera case he ran out to 25 yards and let me take pictures. I don't know much about goats but I was once told that a billie's horns are straighter than a nannies. From these pictures can some of you tell the sex of this goat?
Also, would this be considered a trophy or average? fatrooster.
4125013.jpg

1417017.jpg

Hey banty,
Now I am not expert either but it looks like a young one to me. Here is an interesting pic I have kept for awhile now.
2231goatdiagram.jpg

Brian
http://i48.tinypic.com/238eb6.jpg[/IMG]

camo_deerslayer, I can see in Killowatts picture that the horns on that goat curve in a backwards fashion more than the goat in my picture. Is Kilo's goat a billie also?

Kilo, that is a cool picture. Did you save it because you plan on getting a Nevada goat tag one day? fatrooster.

A billies horns almost always sweep back and a nannies horns go up and tend to be spindley just like the one in yer pic. Unless you stick yer hands under his backside and feel a swinging sack, I'm gonna say yer pic is of a sheila...

Thanks Triple_BB, I'm thinking you are right but I'm not gonna stick my hands under the backside, lol. I could get kicked! fatrooster.

I would say an older nanny. One yo dont see the mass getting any bigger at the bases and two, I dont see any scent glands behind the horns.

BHB

I say nanny as well. A billies horns curve back hard and have a lot of mass at the bass, even when they are young.

Yelum

I agree that it is a nanny. Long spindly horns. The first 2/3 or so the horns go relatively straight up. The last 1/3 is where the horns cut back. A billy is going to have a long curve the whole length of the horns, and a lot more mass.

Nice pics though!!

Marcial

my 2 cents.
Yes a nanny, older too. Straight horns with a swept back tip is a nanny. Billies have a sweep back, all curved horn.
Cool Photo, thanks for sharing with us!
Zeke

Yep, definitely a nanny. They go straight up and hook at the end. Billies will have more of a curve all the way through and heavier bases.

What an awesome encounter, and great pics to boot.

"Easy now, keep the croshairs right behind his shoulder & squeeze the trigger"

Yup, nanny is my vote too. In the top photo you can see how straight the horns are until the end and then like Zeke and Sparky said, swept back or hooked at the end. And in both pics you can see there is no mass to them.

By mid-October it gets a little tougher to see the bases once they get that 3"-4" of cotton on top their head... but you can still easily tell. Plus the billies have a black scent glad at the base of their horn thats swells up around this time that is very visible if your above them or they're feeding and have their head down.

I've seen older nannies with horns longer than an older billy but they just don't have the mass and heavy arc that the billy's do. I heard years ago that a nanny held the BC record for years but I've never checked to see if it was actually true.

Pretty animals and great to see them all over Utah. Another DWR's success story.

Great Photo,
Never Had much desire to go cliff hanging. But I am running out of OIL species to put in for. Rutnbuck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom