photo tips?

swbuckmaster

Long Time Member
I should have posted this before the season started. Better late then never is someone uses the tips.

you can add to the list if you want

1. smile you just accomplished something

2. the more photos you take the better

3. try different posses

4. take both photos with fill flash and without flash

5. clean the animal up, cut the tongue off, close mouth, maybe put tissue up the nose so its not bleeding and clean entrance and exit wounds.

6.take the arrow out "probably my worst pet peve when it comes to photos archery photos. i guess if you want one with it in for yourself take one but 90% of the people think its tacky especially non hunters.

7.learn the rule of thirds, dont know how to explain it other than your eye wants to focus on something in the photo or it is naturally led to a spot in the photo. I like to divide the photo up like a tic tac toe grid and center the main focus on one of the cross hairs created by the imaginary tic tac toe lines. "Some one help me out on this"

8. take both vertical and horizontal photos

9. Have camera man take photos at different levels. meaning get down on ground. stand up, sit, kneel, ect

10. watch your contrast. Bright back ground like opening in tree cover and you are in shade will equal bad photo ect.

11. clear the area in front of animal so something isn't
distracting in the photo like weeds, sticks, garbage ect.

12. take your time you will only have the chance to do it right once in the field.

13. did I say smile!

Come on guys if I missed something please add to the list. We all appreciate the good photos more.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

There are no big bucks in Utah! LOL

all good tips!

one more thing......smile.

we all know you've busted your a$$ on the mountain and you're tired but take a second to smile.

you can never take too many pictures

Great post SWB! Bottom line, now that the digital age is here take A LOT of pictures! You can't get the time back and the more pictures you take the more will turn out. You can delete the bad ones. Looking forward to your hog as usual.

By the way, there are a few big bucks in Utah still (other than the front). :D Sometime I will have to tell you where they are at!

It's always an adventure!!!

>By the way, there are a
>few big bucks in Utah
>still (other than the front).
>:D Sometime I will
>have to tell you where
>they are at!
>
>
>It's always an adventure!!!

Good I thought Carter shot the rest. :D

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

I kinda like Deer pics with lots of blood & tongue hanging way out!

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

Sounds like I found my field photographer for my Dutton elk hunt! Great tips, I could not agree more with the point where you say that moment in the field is the only moment! This spring, I bagged on heck of a thunder chicken gobbler. The one guy I was with was taking the pics and after only a couple pics was heading back to the truck. I only have one "good" field pic then the next best ones were at home and regret it!

Sorry but i don't care to smile...ever! They're my pics, don't look at them if you don't like them!!

Seriously, i care not one bit if a guy is smiling or not. I'm generally looking at the animal!! I think some of you guys make way too much of this and just another reason some won't post up their pic's.

Joey

Joey, You can keep your teeth in if you want or leave them out. We just want to see your bright smiling proud face buddy!

It's always an adventure!!!

how about these.

If im taking the photos I dont like to stand a mile away from the subject and zoom in. this reduces the amount of light the lense can capture. It can also make it blurry if you are shaking and the camera needs to stay open to take the picture. get close and intimate so to speak.

also I think photos where the guy is sitting at the back of the animals and the horns are stuck in front of the camera so the dudes head is as small as a pin looks funny.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

a guy that puts exclamation points at the end of every sentence definitely likes to smile in his pics....guaranteed....

just pokin' fun joey!

I've tried to smile because others think that's what i'm supposed to do... but it's never much of a smile. Don't get me wrong, i have a blast hunting but when i finally get my animal down, to me, it's kinda a serious thing. There's usually lots to do, lots to think about, lots of stuff going on. Now get me back to camp with my animal taken care of and bagged, i'm one happy guy and a pic then would show that i still have all, or most anyway, of my own natural teeth. :)

Joey

Chase, I am a big 6'7" onry bastage that dosen't like to smile in my pics from my teeth I lost in a bar brawl lol!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, wait, I try not to laugh either since it is bad for my onry image!!!!!!! Good luck to ya this year!!!!!!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-10 AT 09:18PM (MST)[p]What can we learn from this photo? NOTHING ITS A PICASSO!

Sorry B_bop I took the photo down because I dont know if you think its funny. Let me know if I go over board with you. I'm a prankster!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-10 AT 09:21AM (MST)[p]ADD:

Avoid background clutter, especially that which makes it appear the hunter has a tree limb(s) growing from his head. Plain sky is always the best option.

Same for foreground clutter, such as tall grass that intersects the animal's head.

And lastly, fill the frame with the subject. If you want a scenic, shoot it separately.

A few examples:

9855rogerb-chanse1opt.jpg

8571rogerbell1opt.jpg

4705tonytxdeer100opt.jpg

6269tonymandilebuck4opt.jpg

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I've always found that the lower to the ground you are when taking the picture the better it ends up looking. If you are standing and pointing the camera down to the animal on the ground it almost always ends up looking bad.

I'm not a big fan of the pictures with the guy standing several yards back behind the deer or holding the deer's head as far out ahead of him as he can extend his arm when the camera is using a wide angle lens. Be proud of what you shot, don't try to make it look bigger.

Here's my favorite field photo that I've taken.
2007_Antelope.jpg

I even wet his eyes so they had a gleam to them.

Oh, another pet peeve of mine is when people sit on the animal like they are trying to ride it when they are taking field photos, that just seems tacky to me.

Here's a good example of a poor field photo. I was by myself and using my backpack as a tripod. I thought I had everything setup perfect, and looking at the pictures on the camera I thought they looked good, then I got home and found out that the camera had been focusing on the grass in front of it instead of on the deer.

I also thought the tounge was back in the deers mouth but it fell out while I was running back and forth messing with the camera and the timer.

2009_Muledeer2r.jpg

I don't have a single good field photo of me with that deer even though I took about a dozen. When you feel like you have taken enough pictures, take some more!

npaden. Nice photo!

If you include a gun in the photo make sure its not pointed at your head or the person taking the picture!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-10 AT 09:13AM (MST)[p]I wrote this up a few years ago.

Taking Trophy Photos of Your Deer, Elk or Game Birds

You have spent months preparing for the hunt. Spend just a few extra minutes to take some quality trophy shots to preserve the moment.

You want to feature the animal and you, the hunter, in a pleasing manner. Mostly, you will want to showcase your trophy, so get him prepared.

Prepping the animal:

Move the deer to where you want to take the photo. Atop a small rise will allow him to be sky-lined in a photo taken with a slight upward angle. Consider any background you may want (or not want) in the photo.

Wipe off any blood around the mouth, nose and body. Use water, TP, or carry some Wet Wipes for this purpose. You may need to put some toweling way up the nose so it doesn't show to stop any blood drainage. Wiping the bloody areas with dirt and brushing the dirt off may help. Cover any major visible wound with foliage or rocks, or turn the animal so the exit wound is on the off-side.

Tuck the tongue back in the mouth, or use your knife and cut it off.

Fold and tuck the legs under the body and keep the animal upright, not laying on its side with the belly showing with legs splayed out.

Cover any blood on the ground that will be in the photo with dirt, rocks, grass.

Body Positioning:

Having the antlers show against the sky or clouds will highlight them. Antlers will also show up well against a grassy hill. Don't choose a tree for a background whose branches will camouflage the antlers. Your camo shirt will also hide the antlers, so you may wish to sit to the side of the head. You will most likely want the deer's body sideways to the camera.

You can sit behind the deer so only your upper torso is visible, or sit next to the buck's head. Sit with your legs folded and tucked also, rather than sprawled. Don't have your leg stuck out and the boot sole right in the camera lens.

To highlight the antlers and put focus on the deer, have your head below the antler tops or the same height as the deer head.
You can have equal billing with the deer if you have your head even with the antlers.

You can enhance the size of the antlers and head by sitting further back behind the body, and using a closely placed camera with a wide angle and high f-stop setting (ala Chuck Adams).

Having the head pointed directly at the camera will accentuate the rack's width, but may hide some points. A slight quartering turn will show the points better. Have the head level or tilted down slightly. Having the head tilted back will hide the rack and make one look up the nasal passages.

Hold the deer's head up with one gentle hand. If possible, hold behind the neck or offside jaw base to hide your hand, or under base of the chin. Try not to have a mangle hold with bith hands on the antler beams.

Remember the rule of thirds. Don't center the deer exactly in the center of the photo.

Smile! Look at the camera or admire the deer. You should be happy and pleased.

Camera Positioning:

The camera should be near eye level with the deer. Have the photographer kneel or lie low, or use a tripod.

Taking photos from above the deer and hunter, with the photographer standing, diminishes the stature of you and the deer. Too much of an upward angle by taking the picture from well below is undesirable also.

Be sure the camera is level.

Lighting:

Morning or evening lighting provides great lighting for warmth, color and detail. Midday sunlight gives poorer colors, harsher shadows and will wash out detail. Use a fill flash even during midday. A polarizing filter will help eliminate glare that hides color and detail, and make the sky appear a darker blue.

A fill flash will help illuminate the shadows in the deer's and your faces. Tilt your cap back a little to help eliminate shadows. The flash will make the deer's eyes glow bluish green. A set of glass eyes from a taxidermist or a piece of electrical tape will stop this possessed look. A fill flash in the middle of the day will also highlight you and the deer by illuminating you. Take some photos both with and without a flash. Some cameras will allow you to vary flash strength, so an overly bright flash does not overexpose and blow out the closer objects. Use a partial flash setting, rather than a full flash setting if you can, so detail and color are not washed out. The flash is to just fill in the shadows.

Be sure the sun is not casting any shadows from the antlers across your face, or your shadow upon the deer's head. Be aware of the shadow cast by the photographer or tripod. Have the sun angling from the front, and not from behind if possible. If from behind, be sure to take some with a fill-flash.

Tip your cap back to remove the shadows from your eyes.

Camera Settings:

Using the aperture priority mode, set the aperture to a low f-stop, like 2.8 Or use the portrait setting which usually chooses a wide aperture. This will give a shallower depth of field. The background and foreground will be out of focus, and this will draw the viewer to the sharply focused deer and you.

Choosing a high f-stop like f-16 or f/22 will give a greater depth of field and allow both the deer and background to remain in focus. Many lenses are sharpest around f/5.6-f/8. Vary f/stop to get the desired results.

Focus the camera on the deer's eyes, as you would on a person's eyes for a portrait shot. Zoom in so you and the deer fill the frame. You can crop excess fore and background and then enlarge on the computer, but photo quality may be sacrificed if the image is excessively cropped.

Set the digital camera's picture quality to its highest setting.

Use a polarizing filter to reduce glare and enhance colors.

Use a tripod to get a steady camera.

Use a remote shutter to allow you to have the proper position. A self timer may not give you but a few seconds to scurry into place.

Utilize the white balance setting to match the sun, shade, clouds or snow, or be sure it is set on auto.

You may wish to spot meter on the deer for proper exposure. Having the deer in the shade with a bright sunlit background, snow or sky will leave the deer underexposed and appear like a dark silhouette. You may wish to bracket your exposures.

Check the histogram for proper exposure.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-histograms.shtml

Other Tips:

Remove blaze orange as it will mess with exposures and the bright color will attract the photo viewer's attention away from the deer.

Pull or bend over any grass that sticks up in the way between the camera and your and the deer's heads. Bend down next to the camera and look for obstructions.

Take your photos before field dressing.

If you forgot your camera in your pack, or had no time right before nightfall, set the deer up outside of camp the next morning and take some good photos. A head and cape on a rock or log can still make a good photo.

To highlight your rifle, hold it in your hands, across your arm, or lay it against the deer's body. Don't have the muzzle pointing at you, even if it is unloaded (and it should be at this point). Don't lay the rifle across the antlers like in a gun rack.

Please, no tailgates with a bed full of beer cans for a background, tree hangings, garage floors, hanging tongues, or blood. Don't sit on the animal.

Look behind you and check for unwanted clutter like packs, water bottles, game bags.

Look at websites or various quality hunting magazines like Eastmans, Muley Crazy, Trophy Hunter. Look at the good and the bad of photos, and get some ideas.

Take lots of photos to hopefully take one good keeper.

Good Luck Hunting!

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
CoyoteButtesSo_721.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom