Phony "so called hunters"

kingfish

Long Time Member
Anyone else sick and tired of the phony whitetail hunting shows on the outdoors channel? I am sick and tired of turning on a hunting show and all it is is Hank Parker, or Bill Jordan, or some other Southern boy baiting with C'mere deer on a private ranch sitting in a blind all day and selling it as hunting!!!! It's rediculous and bad for our sport. I would just once love to take these southern boys to Idaho and let them tape a real hunt with the guys I hunt with. They would have to set up a real camp, get up a 4:00 am and hike 2000 virtical feet in the dark to try to catch a book buck at daybreak before he moves into one of his hidden day beds. That's what hunting big bucks is all about in my book. Sitting on your butt in a blind on private land behind a bucket of bate IS NOT HUNTING!!!!!!

Ouch! I hope you just mean the TV celebs not the average southern good old boy.

Ransom

4728fe5d565966f3.jpg

>Anyone else sick and tired of
>the phony whitetail hunting shows
>on the outdoors channel? I
>am sick and tired of
>turning on a hunting show
>and all it is is
>Hank Parker, or Bill Jordan,
>or some other Southern boy
>baiting with C'mere deer on
>a private ranch sitting in
>a blind all day and
>selling it as hunting!!!! It's
>rediculous and bad for our
>sport. I would just once
>love to take these southern
>boys to Idaho and let
>them tape a real hunt
>with the guys I hunt
>with. They would have to
>set up a real camp,
>get up a 4:00 am
>and hike 2000 virtical feet
>in the dark to try
>to catch a book buck
>at daybreak before he moves
>into one of his hidden
>day beds. That's what hunting
>big bucks is all about
>in my book. Sitting on
>your butt in a blind
>on private land behind a
>bucket of bate IS NOT
>HUNTING!!!!!!

Kingfish,
I asked this question in another post but did not get an answer. Where in Idaho can I hunt that has good deer (not monsters)but most people will not go because of the terrain? And I know I'm pushing it but an area that has OTC tags.

EASY king!!!

THEY'VE BEEN BAITING HERE IN TARDVILLE FOR A FEW YEARS ALSO!!!

I FOUND TWO DIFFERENT BAIT STATIONS THIS YEAR THAT LOOK LIKE THEY WERE USED ON THE STICK FLICKER HUNT!!!

SOME OF THEM MUST BE A "MASTER" BY NOW???

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

I hear you about the shows. Im not saying there bad for hunting, I would just like the see more shows like Eastmans,And shows like that where they arnt camping in a multi- million $ Cabin opps camp. Most of the shows are turning into 22 min. plugs for one thing or another and 8 min of hunting.

I QUIT WATCHING THAT SOUTHERN CRAP ALONG TIME AGO. THE WHITE TAIL HUNTS & TURKEY HUNTS WORE ME OUT. GUYS THAT GET OLD REAL QUICK:....MICHEAL WADDELL, J. BUSHMAN, TIM ??, DURARY BROTHERS, & THE KING STAN POTTS. TREE STANDS, TREE STANDS, TREE STANDS WHAT A WASTE OF TIME. THEN ALL OF THE PRODUCTS THEY PEDAL ARE REAL INTERESTING....THE COUGH SILENCER, THE CORN SLINGERS, CMER DEER......FEED UP WITH THAT STYLE OF HUNTING........YD.

You should ask the Boys over on Realtree.com what they think of those Dinky Dog Deer hunters. That's always good for a fight. Many MM'rs have been banned from that site for their western views.

Beanman

>
> I QUIT WATCHING THAT
>SOUTHERN CRAP ALONG TIME AGO.
> THE WHITE TAIL HUNTS
>& TURKEY HUNTS WORE ME
>OUT. GUYS THAT GET
>OLD REAL QUICK:....MICHEAL WADDELL, J.
>BUSHMAN, TIM ??, DURARY BROTHERS,
>& THE KING STAN POTTS.
> TREE STANDS, TREE STANDS,
>TREE STANDS WHAT A WASTE
>OF TIME. THEN
>ALL OF THE PRODUCTS THEY
>PEDAL ARE REAL INTERESTING....THE COUGH
>SILENCER, THE CORN SLINGERS, CMER
>DEER......FEED UP WITH THAT STYLE
>OF HUNTING........YD.

Hey! You have a classic case of southernaphobia.
The cure is high quality Kentucky or Tennessee bourban taken in liberal quantities. Good luck.

Ransom

I agree on the sit on your butt treestand hunt shows. the only thing worse is the 245,000 toothless Bubba turkey hunting shows that are on everytime I turn on the Outdoor Channel.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-07 AT 06:21PM (MST)[p]What gets me is when the California bashing starts.
We Hunt.
We hunt hard, backpacking vertical miles, spiking out on my favorite 8,00 foot elevation honey hole and glassing till my eyes bleed.
real western hunting.

The easterners seem to be immune or something.

I like almost all types of hunting, but the heated blind in front of the cornflinger ain't like we hunt out here.

Me & the kid watched six good bucks from this spot this year.
No monsters, so they got a pass.
HH

thomasfs0.jpg

Jm,
Unit 49 used to be darn good 10 years ago or so but it is now a youth hunt unit and too many people hunt that unit anymore. If you are willing to hike 3 to 4 miles away from the roads you can do really well. Get back into the remote country possible, get up high early and hunt till dark.

HH!!!

I HOPE THE "KID" AIN'T AS DEADLY WITH THAT GUN AS HE IS WITH THAT ROD???

JUST KIDDIN!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

WOW Kingfish - tell us how you really feel!

I wish some of the western shows would show some more road hunting and shooting bucks from captains seats set up in the back of the pickup truck while bouncing down a dirt road. Or maybe a good stalk on a buck on public land only to have some idiot shoot over your head from 800 yards away. Or show where a guy smacks a good buck and lets him settle for a while only to track him to a gutpile and a pair of wheeler tracks! Or maybe where they shoot him, but don't put him down, track him, then hear some shots and go and find that some other hunters have already claimed him at the kill site! That would be good and would definitely bolster the image of hunting across the country!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

You guys lose your remote control? ......or just the instructions? It's BS and you know it, don't watch it!!

And for those of you that think them good ol' Eastman boys are "all that and a bag of chips"....I can't help ya.

I think I would get bored out of my mind if I sat in a tree. Heck I can only stand to sit water for a few hours before I want to see what's over the next ridge!

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

>WOW Kingfish - tell us how
>you really feel!
>
>I wish some of the western
>shows would show some more
>road hunting and shooting bucks
>from captains seats set up
>in the back of the
>pickup truck while bouncing down
>a dirt road. Or maybe
>a good stalk on a
>buck on public land only
>to have some idiot shoot
>over your head from 800
>yards away. Or show where
>a guy smacks a good
>buck and lets him settle
>for a while only to
>track him to a gutpile
>and a pair of wheeler
>tracks! Or maybe where they
>shoot him, but don't put
>him down, track him, then
>hear some shots and go
>and find that some other
>hunters have already claimed him
>at the kill site! That
>would be good and would
>definitely bolster the image of
>hunting across the country!
>
>UTROY
>Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Excellent point Roy! I see no virtue in putting down how other people hunt in other parts of the Country. A lot of good decent people hunt differently than we do in the West. Just because it doesn't meet your criteria doesn't make you right and them wrong. If you don't want to see in on television, tell the networks, and then by all means turn it off.

Eel

WELL, I DONT KNOW ABOUT A VIRTUE.....BUT HUNTERS DO VENT ABOUT THINGS THEY ARE TIRED OF.....AND THE SOUTHERN WHITE TAIL THING DID QUALIFY FOR THAT...... & THIS BOARD IS A GOOD PLACE TO DO IT......YD.

Here is a hypothetical situation for you to consider. Say one of us western hunters found mineral lick where big bucks came to on a consistant basis. All you had to do was sit on a rock in the evening and wait for Mr. Big to show up about dark. Are you telling me you wouldn't hunt it?

Eel

I'm glad there's people out there that are willing to sit and wait for a buck to show up at some lick. It keeps them happy and out of my happy hunting grounds. . .

You eel you should pack a lifesize picture of a fish up there next year and snap a shot of your boy holding while he's hunting the highcountry for monster muleys. . . .LOL

BTW, we could get real serious and talk about the limits of DIY hunting and asking for directions. . . one could say that if someone tells you where to go hunting and you failed to do your own scouting but just went to the hill and lucked into one that youre not really hunting either. . . so lets keep hunting in the family so to speak, even if it's texas style shoot from your house window while youre sipping coffee. . .

Its all about perspective. I live in wisconsin and I hunt out of a treestand on my own land. I don't have a food pile but I do plant a 4 acre food plot of corn. I own 160 acres and you can walk it to death in about a day. If I hunted my land in wisconsin like I do out west. The deer would find a safer less intruded upon place. I hunt up North in wisconsin and I can hunt and walk all day like I do out west as there is lots of land to hunt on, Public land like you folks enjoy. If we walked all around our land the scent would move at least the big ones off my property. On the second day of the season I saw 11 bucks and 5 does on my 160. I saw five last saturday trying to service one lone doe. With unlimited land on which to hunt you can make mistakes and another opportunity is just over the next ridge or the one after that. Not so here. I was taught in order to be successful one must suffer to earn his game.
I went and got married so I have plenty of suffering.
Driftersifter

Good point Tony - I don't mind people hunting that way - and if it makes it easy and they can provide food then do it. The hunting shows like that sell and that is why they do it. And to tell you the truth, there are so many whitetails in the south and here in Texas and so much thick country, and add the nature of whitetails to constantly be on the move - you pretty much have to stay in one spot and see as many animals as possible, whereas in the west you need to see as much territory as possible to maximize your chances.

But I agree with Kingfish - the kind of hunting he's talking about doesn't get filmed nearly as much. And here is one of the reasons - 65 lb cameras. How would you like to haul a $17K 65lb camera up 2000 vertical feet in the dark? Nope - me neither. If I am a camerman, it is much easier to set up my camera in a blind and sit in a nice chair to make my money.

Also - they always shoot the best bucks because due to their sponsorships they can hunt the premium land that I can't afford to. I like to watch those shows and chuckle when I think about how easy they make it look.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Anyone can get tired of the game ranch shows and that is fine but if you are saying most hunters in the west hike, climb and hunt the tops of mountains then you are so full of crap your eyes are brown. Road hunting, waterhole hugging, buddy hunters are so common you would have to be hunting on the internet not to see it. When I see a pickup load of hunters with arrows knocked there is no bragging about being from the west. I see nothing wrong with waterhole or tree stand hunting or any other legal form of hunting in the west or in the east.

OK I was not going to chime in but my old frien Tfinal had another afliction with Big Stae Envy.

Look guys first off I think its bad when we start bashing other LAW ABIDING hunters across the country. Everything is relative and you could not stop one style of hunting just cause you don't agree with it.

A lot of the hunting style her in texas is blind over feeders. We have soo many deer here it is unbelievable. We do not even put a small dent in the population. If you don't like it fine don't do it but don't bash us for it.

In the hill country of Texas hunting from a ground blind with a feeder is the norm, but so is spot and stalk. Down in south Texas the brush is so thick a man can not walk through it. The only resonable way to hunt this thick brush is to get above it and look down in it. So elevated blinds are used. The country down there is also huge, so we hunt from vehicles. I have a top drive truck. Basically it is a platform built over the cab with seats, gun rest, drink holders ice chest ect. And you drive the truck from up there. You can cover thousands of acres, plus it is FUN!
When we are hunting out in West Texas (in the Rockies) by the way we hunt like you guys out West do. On foot back packs ect. Spot and stalk and lots of glassing. That too is FUN! Look and when we flat landers come up to the mountain states we hunt like you guys do and that is a blast! As long as your not breaking the law I say hunt how you want. Have fun, what ever floats your boat.

Now as far as the TV shows go I agree. I am sick of seeing whitetail hunts. I would like a lot more elk, mule deer and sheep hunts shown. Whitetail is getting boring.

?Justice consists not in being neutral between right and wrong, but in finding out the right and upholding it, wherever found, against the wrong.?
---Theodore Roosevelt,

202 i will go with you on that post hunt by the law & the lay of the land! roy post #14 well said. i lived in arkansas and never had someone shoot over my head or try anything bad. now out west different story. rick

Hey fellas thanks for all the input I really enjoy reading all the different opinions. If I found a "natural" salt lick in my hunting area and knew it would attract big bucks I would sit on it myself. Biologic, cmere deer, and other man made deer attractents are what I'm specifically talking about. I don't care how many whitetails they shoot over baits!!! JUST DON'T CALL IT HUNTING!!!

>Here is a hypothetical situation for
>you to consider. Say one
>of us western hunters found
>mineral lick where big bucks
>came to on a consistant
>basis. All you had to
>do was sit on a
>rock in the evening and
>wait for Mr. Big to
>show up about dark. Are
>you telling me you wouldn't
>hunt it?
>
>Eel

I would sit there, no problemo.

Ransom

I agree! Have said that, within my own mind (talk there a lot), MANY times. I doubt they could do 2/3 of what is real hunting.

I think the shows are actually comical. For example, have you ever noticed how hard they are breathing just after they shoot. They are still sitting in the blind and they are acting like they just hiked Everest. They say ,"Okay, I think I just shot a buck and we need to wait it out an hour or two." While saying it they are wheezing like they had an asthma attack. I always get a good laugh when that happens. Buck fever can do some funny things to a guy.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom