Philmont Scout Ranch

Roy

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-12 AT 08:28AM (MST)[p]My boy (14) is headed up there this year with his Scout troop. He is just shy of getting his Eagle and we have great scout leaders who will be accompanying the boys.

Any of you have experience there? Sounds like a blast - we are making the final itinerary choices today, totally stoked for him and wish I could go with him.

I do have to say that I am pretty apprehensive about letting him go this long, this far away, and in some pretty rugged country, but he is prepared and I have great confidence in his leaders. That doesn't make feel that I shouldn't implant a GPS tracking micro-chip underneath his skin, however.

Any of you been there either as scouts or leaders or even staffers? Any tips or advice that maybe we haven't thought of yet?

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

He'll have a great time. When I was a scout leader we took the boys there 4 different times. My son is 31 but he went I think a total of 6 different times after they receive eagle scout rank and order of the arrow I believe, they are allowed to be counselors which he did. Great experience he will grow from the experience.

I now work with Webelos and a lot of the kids have spent their whole lives on x-box 360. Last weekend was the first camp out over 50% wouldn't touch a fish and a third hadn't ever fished. This is a rural area. I have no idea why parents have kids and then just sit them in front of a video game or TV. I'll stop before many of the video game fanatics go nuts.

Good job Roy on getting your son involved there is still some hope of boys turning into men although it is getting harder to accomplish as a parent.

Yeah I know how that goes Husker. I usually accompany him on most of his Scout trips and have been heavily involved with the troop. A lot of these kids are the same way - too many video games and too much TV.

I am taking my two youngest on a camping/fishing trip this weekend. They are getting pretty seasoned - I try and take them several times a year before it gets too hot.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

I hope your kid has a ball. I went there once; my dad was a cowboy for Mr. Phillips...dad said he was a good guy.

Beautiful country; you boy will come back happy and tired.

He'll have a great time and learn a great deal of self reliance. I finally got to go 10 or 12 years ago with my nephew. I was am an Eagle Scout, camp staff, national jamboree, asst. scoutmaster, etc. but never went to Philmont. Thought I'd never go but out of the blue my sister called and said that her husband couldn't go and the kids needed two adults and only had one. It was July and very hot. They pretty much turn you loose once you have your route decided. You have maps, etc. but they pretty much leave you alone. You do see trail crews etc. and staff at stops along the way but the navigation is up to the boys. Beautiful country, very challenging, great experience. Saw lots of black bears and a couple of rattlesnakes near the Anasazi sp.? ruins. I'm glad I got to finally go. He'll never forget it.

He will have a blast I was there in 90, 92, and 94. Hoping to get there with my son in a few years. Try and make sure he hits Mt. Baldy it is an awesome view. I would like to go out and work as a Ranger when I retire and hopefully be the oldest Ranger when I do. Take a good compact camera and a spare battery for pictures.

Look out for lightning, lots of that in the summer months but on the flip side tell him to keep his eyes out for deer and elk sheds some of the best wintering ground for that.

NMBIGHORN

I have only been a leader for the past year, but I have worked closely with several leaders who have been to Philmont for training courses. Wonderful place and excellent staff, second to none. I am sure your son will have a blast Roy. Best of luck to him on his Eagle. I have an 8 year old who wants his Eagle, hopefully I can keep him in the Scouts to where he can achieve it.
WVBOWAK

I had to miss the year my boys went due to knee surgery, but they woke up one morning to a buffalo chasing them through camp. They had to get up high on a rock and wait him out. I think your son will enjoy and learn from it.

Grizz,
That sounds like one of those "mark that off the bucket list moments". Interesting way to get woken up to say the least. A 2000 pound alarm clock plowing through a camp at 6AM would certainly get the blood moving for the day.
WVBOWAK

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom