Pheasant Hunting?

sniper14

I want to hunt pheasants in the great state of Idaho, but I've got a couple of questions. Do I need a hunting license as well as a small game license? Or will just a small game license do? I noticed the small game license is no good for the first 5 days of the hunt. Can I just buy a 3 day small game license and start the 3 days at the start of the hunt or is that also no good for the first 5 days? Thanks on advance.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-13 AT 03:44PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-13 AT 03:43?PM (MST)

Any of the 3 license types (Hunting, Small Game Hunting, Three-day Nonresident Small Game Hunting) allows a nonresident to hunt "upland and migratory birds, turkey, cottontail, snowshoe hare, huntable furbearers, and unprotected and predatory birds and animals." However, only the full Hunting License allows a nonresident to hunt pheasants during the first 5 days of a pheasant season. Neither small game license allows nonresidents to hunt during the first 5 days of pheasant seasons. Some species require permits in addition to the license (WMA pheasant for areas where pheasants are released for hunting [$51.75], sage-grouse/sharp-tailed grouse [$4.75], migratory bird (or HIP, $4.75)). If someone is only interested in small game hunting, the only advantage to a full Hunting License is those first 5 days of pheasant seasons. But if interested in big game hunting, a full hunting license is required to purchase a big game tag.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom