Pheasant hunt opener

1smellydeer

I took out grandpa, my friend, and 2 youth hunters, for their first pheasant hunt only because I heard the hype of 11,000 birds being released. We didn't have a dog but I figured I'd take them as we might just get lucky and stumble across a few since there were suppose to be so many birds released.
We went to the Nephi hunting unit. I was the first one there but by hunt time there were hunters every 10 feet- which is to be expected in Utah. Nobody to blame there-
Among the 5 of us we didn't fire our guns at any pheasants and only saw 1 bird fly and get destroyed by all the flying lead. A local guy said there were only 20 birds released and 6 were hens. So 14 birds for about 100 hunters. disappointing at best. Now I remember why I stopped hunting pheasants 10 yrs ago. If you don't have a good dog and can't afford pay at-least 20/bird at a pheasant farm it can be frustrating trying to bag a pheasant in Utah.
However, when you go outdoors theres always a positive. it was a fun memory with my son, dad and good friends. The other hunters around us were great guys and wanted my son to get his first shot at a pheasant. At one point they had 4 dogs working just for him! The dogs found a dead bird they gave him and when we were done they gave him 3 more they had shot with their group.

On our way home we saw some trees that were full of Eurasian doves. After getting permission from a nice guy hunting pheasants in the same field we shot Eurasian doves for the next 2 hours and had a great time. I'm truly grateful to
Tyler Schlappi- (i hope he doesn't mind i mention his name) and his group who made it a fun experience for my son. Apparently Tyler guides for pheasant hunts in Gunnison at a ranch and we were just lucky enough to bump into him. What a class act he and his group are.
The part of the story nobody knows is I'm in the middle of a terrible divorce and rarely get to see my children, so this day meant much more than the surface to me and my young son. I hadn't seem him this happy in over a year. Deepest gratitude to the Schlappi brothers and the nice guy that let us shoot doves in his field. We ended what could have been a frustrating day with an 18 doves and 4 pheasant cookout. Ive found most times I plan any event in the outdoors with friends or family its worthwhile. If nothing else its a story to share next time your sitting around the campfire.

Great story. There's a good group of people out there despite what you see on the news every night. It's always great to hear the good side of things rather then about stolen gear, stolen animals, etc.

"Ive found most times I plan any event in the outdoors with friends or family its worthwhile."

I couldn't agree more. It seems like any time you put forth the time and effort to get out there, you get rewarded 100 fold.

Hate how the bird hunting in Utah is thats why I don't bird hunt here anymore. Also sorry about the divorce they are never fun and the only winner in the end is the lawyer.

Glad that it turned out so good for you. As for the pheasants or lack of birds, I was one that was putting birds out on WMA areas. 20 birds seem lite. We had over 500 roosters and no hens from SFW and an untold number from the DWR and no hens there. We put them out on 5 WMA'S.

As far as "birds put out" I obviously don't know for sure I was just going from what was told to me by the local guy that said he "saw them released". I can just tell you my own experience. I hunted a lot of pheasnts when I was younger and I admittedly didn't have high expectations knowing we didn't have a dog and finding pheasants can be very challenging in the best conditions.

The main point I was trying to make was how good the day turned out despite not shooting any roosters thanks to some great people and sportsman.
I didnt want this post to come across negative. I thought the idea of putting out birds by the DWR and SFW was awesome and recognize it was likely a lot of work from volunteers to make it happen. Thanks for your time volunteering. Hopefully this traditions continues for many years.

Glad it turned out to be a positive day. This was the second year I haven't gone pheasant hunting since I could hunt. Sucks but utah just don't have birds.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom