Pepperoni

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
First my butcher in Emmett died. Then I hear my go to sausage maker at Gem Meat stopped taking in game meat.

I have a nicely boned out Antelope in need of a good pepperoni maker Would love to get some good peppery polish like they made at Gem also.

Secondarily if anyone has a great recipe, I did buy a grinder last year from Cabela's but I don't have a smoker, only an oven.

Jeez, that sucks Gem is no longer an option. That pepperoni was to die for. Did you hear that from them?

I have nothing to offer cuz that place pretty much made the best stuff I'm aware of around here.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-12 AT 03:30PM (MST)[p] Take it to Custom Butcher in Garden City. They have always done good work.

45 ACP for when you have seconds to live and the police are only minutes away

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-12 AT 05:23PM (MST)[p]I like Meats Royal they do bear sausage real well and I bet they'd do pepperoni well, too.

I am done with Smokey Davis...this spring, they let my daughters first turkey rot.

I also used Custom Meats in Garden City to take care of a boned out bull, a couple years ago. I thought they did a good job. Not many will take meat that is not on the bone. As for sausage, I know they offer it but I didn't have any made. I would expect that they have samples, if your homemade recipe doesn't work out.

I have used Custom Butcher in Garden City as well for a few years now ( Also done with Smoky Davis, too many let downs for me) and they have always done a great job and great people. Highly recommend them. They also make a great Breakfast sausage with Bear meat ( I have taken several Bears to them)both spicy and regular, I prefer the regular flavor wise.

So I decided to make use of my new 1/2 horsepower Cabelas grinder. Picked up a package of the basic pepperoni stick mix from Cabelas and followed the directions. Mixed 7lb boned pork shoulder in to 18lbs of boned antelope. Used the stuffer that came with the mixer. It's a little salty and not quite peppery enough, next time I will ad some "hot shot" pepper to spice it up. All in all, if you can get it done for a few bucks a pound it might be worth it, because it took more hours than I expected, but there is that self-made satisfaction.

Should be good on the elk and deer hunts to come.

Gem is still taking in wild game for those who were wondering. Expensive as hell as always.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

I used Tackett's Wildgame Processing in Nampa to process my deer this year. They are a quality place to deal with. I especially liked how they vacuum seal and label all the cuts. You should give them a call.

Just picked up pepperoni, summer sausage, italian breakfast sausage and brats from Custom Butcher and the pepperoni and summer sausage are incredible. Have not eaten anything else yet. Our freezer is completely full with elk and antelope so I will have my entire deer processed into more goodies from Custom if I get one this weekend.

I'm not sure this is a FACT, but I believe Custom uses Gem for all smoked meats. I am particularly fond of their Polish from mule deer. Smells horrible when you boil it, but tastes great.

The first deer I killed over here I took to meats royal and was very much unhappy with them. Then a doctor at St Al's recommended
The place in garden city and was very happy with the summer sausage and pepperoni.

Chuck in Boise

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom