people never learn

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I live close to the ocean here in northern Kali. The ocean is very dangerous, especially in the winter. We get high seas with rouge waves. Every year people get swept out and die. This year is no exception, although it seems more tragic.

A local family went to the beach with their dog. The son threw a stick in the water for the dog to retrieve. The dog got caught by a wave. The son went in after the dog and got in trouble. The dad went in after the son and he got in trouble. Of course the mom saw what was happening so she jumped in to save them.

All three drowned, of course.

The dog paddled back to shore and is fine.

http://www.times-standard.com/breakingnews/ci_22075202/teen-swept-into-ocean-still-missing

We have public service announcements on the radio and TV all winter long begging people to stay away from the ocean in rough conditions. People just don't get it.

Eel

Seems like they were locals, or at least familiar with the area. Too bad for the family and girlfriend.

I lived up there for a summer; pretty country.

no time to think????...really???.....sometimes thinking is a requirement eldorko.

darwinism.....

>no time to think????...really???.....sometimes thinking is
>a requirement eldorko.
>
>darwinism.....

Yea...the time to think is beforehand, not during.

Would i accept dieing if there was a possibility that i might be able save a loved one... absolutely, yes. i believe i'd take the chance every single time but one really never knows until they must act... or they don't.

Tragic thing to happen, RIP!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

The time to think is before you take your loved ones out to the beach to throw sticks for the dog in the first place. Once you ignore that thought process, you're fair game.

Plenty of time eldorado.

Eel

believe it or not.....sitting here in my chair I have already thought about and decided that if my dog jumps in dangerous water anywhere in the world..he is screwed.

>believe it or not.....sitting here in
>my chair I have already
>thought about and decided that
>if my dog jumps in
>dangerous water anywhere in the
>world..he is screwed..........

..........same goes for my mother in law!

These accidents involving water, are always very frustrating for survivors and first responders alike.

"It's just water!".... "I can reach her".... "I can swim.".......there is just something about water, as opposed to fire, hurricanes, or other calamities, that affects peoples' better judgement.

Whatever occurred to the first victim is very likely going to happen to any untrained "rescuer".....and the next....etc, etc, etc.

A full set of clothing can weigh 40 pounds when wet. Add shock from cold water, a couple swallows of water and it is all but over, even for you tough guys.

NOBODY is going to stand by and watch someone drown. It is not human nature to do so.

The risk factor is not always evident.....except when surfing.

Statistically, drownings of "rescuers"number nearly as high as that of initial victims.

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

tragic!
I however was prepared to save my dog once. We were pheasant hunting and my lab tore into a coon. The coon made it into the water and Mack followed. I couldn't get a shot at the coon and they were fighting it out in the water. I knew the coon had the advantage in the water so I stripped down and headed in to take go after them. Just as I got in the water the coon got scared and swam across the water I was able to get Mack back with me.
Probably not the smartest choice but Mack would have done the same for me...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer? See Zeke for prime example....

Zigger missed an opportunity to comment on the "Rouge" wave? SanFran is in NoCal so I suppose anything is possible.... Terry

"rouge" waves make your cheeks red......right Terry???

the-truth.jpg

Here's another hint: If your dog can't survive in the ocean, what on earth makes you think you can?

Eel

>Here's another hint: If your dog
>can't survive in the ocean,
>what on earth makes you
>think you can?
>
>Eel

+1 on that

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom