Pellet stove

Love mine.....use it for primary heat source for my house. It's a Quadra Fire Mt Vernon. Throws out A LOT of heat and is very efficient. Has its own thermostat and auger that can run off 12 volt when power is lost. No complaints so far.

As a side note, I pre-buy my pellets for the year and it greatly reduces the cost. I use the high grade lignetics and got them for $4.49 a bag.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Not a fan of pellet stoves. They require power, ya gotta purchase pellets, and they have a fair amount of mechanical parts.

They do produce nice efficient heat though.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-19 AT 11:40AM (MST)[p]My wife worked in a hardware store for over 30 years that sold pellet stoves. She would not buy one due to the complaints from customers that purchased them.
If you do buy one, get the best one you can afford. Check the consumers magazine web site for best recommendations on different brands. Make sure it has a backup 12 volt battery in the event of a power outage.
What we did was to buy a "Lopi" stove that looks like a free standing fireplace and has a blower, and runs off of propane since we are in the foothills with no natural gas service. The Lopi is 84% efficient and heats our large home with no problem. Cost is equal or slightly lower then what pellets would cost us.
Also get a high grade of pellets. They burn cleaner and cause less problems. There is not as many pellets manufacturers as there was 15 years ago and pellets have gone up in price due to supply and demand. As someone said above, buy your years supply of pellets in the summer months when prices are down and they have sales.

RELH

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-19
>AT 11:40?AM (MST)

>
>My wife worked in a hardware
>store for over 30 years
>that sold pellet stoves. She
>would not buy one due
>to the complaints from customers
>that purchased them.
> If you
>do buy one, get the
>best one you can afford.
>Check the consumers magazine web
>site for best recommendations on
>different brands. Make sure it
>has a backup 12 volt
>battery in the event of
>a power outage.
> What we did
>was to buy a "Lopi"
>stove that looks like a
>free standing fireplace and has
>a blower, and runs off
>of propane since we are
>in the foothills with no
>natural gas service. The Lopi
>is 84% efficient and heats
>our large home with no
>problem. Cost is equal or
>slightly lower then what pellets
>would cost us.
> Also get
>a high grade of pellets.
>They burn cleaner and cause
>less problems. There is not
>as many pellets manufacturers as
>there was 15 years ago
>and pellets have gone up
>in price due to supply
>and demand. As someone said
>above, buy your years supply
>of pellets in the summer
>months when prices are down
>and they have sales.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> RELH

We use a LOPI wood stove at our cabin for our main source of heat. It was a blower on it and works great. I guess it works better then pellets for us . Because we have a forest outside the front door. It's easier to go out and cut a tree. Then to drive into town to buy a bag of pellets.

Castle Serenity model in the home wife and I bought this year. Planned on getting rid of it for wood stove, but you know, plans change...
Lots of minor problems but once we figured them out... obsessive cleaning, taking the damn thing apart to clean, replacing an ignitor and fire sensor, it heats efficienty and well.

It sucks to buy pellets, best deal we've found is $6 for 40# bag of South and Johnson pellets, but it works well for the present. Lots of parts to go wrong. You have to become minor expert to keep the damn thing running! Haven't faced an extended power outage yet this winter...

The Stihl is in garage wondering why the hell he hasn't been called into action this year!

Wood stove is WAY cheaper where I live...just have to Cowboy up and get firewood every year...plus the power goes out..I still Can keep warm,Cook,and warm water for a hot bath...Yes I still live in the 19th century and a prepper also..

We lost power for 4 days last week. Thank goodness for the wood stove, and the generator. I guess you could power the pellet stove with a generator.

Have you decided Walt?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom