Paunsagunt Archery

Zim

Very Active Member
Although this will be my 10th mule deer hunt, I still don’t feel experienced. I know tree stand hunting is not popular out there, but it’s my preferred method due to physical issues. But I also plan to mix in some stalks on my upcoming Paunsagunt deer hunt. I’m wondering if when stand hunting if it’s generally better to sit water tanks, or set up on major trails between bedding & burns. On several Kaibab hunts I never saw a mature buck when I sat water. Much better observations hunting the trails. But my sample size was not huge. Just wanting to get some opinions. Thanks.

I can't imagine sitting in a stand or blind without knowing a buck is moving through there would be any better than sitting in a truck and driving around..? If you have a buck located, and know his pattern to and from water or bedding, a stand or blind could work. But, you do miss out on seeing the landscape of the Pauns which is incredible and unique. 😃😃

Zim, you have to remember that on water the more mature Bucks will be in at last light, first light…Also, sometimes middle of the day! If you’ve got a good idea where they’re coming from, I’d set up well into that area, as they may just stage or poke around there before getting to the water…Muley’s are weird though and lil nomads doing their own thing….😁👊🏻🏹

I can't imagine sitting in a stand or blind without knowing a buck is moving through there would be any better than sitting in a truck and driving around..? If you have a buck located, and know his pattern to and from water or bedding, a stand or blind could work. But, you do miss out on seeing the landscape of the Pauns which is incredible and unique. 😃😃
I will be trying both stalking & sitting depending on what I see. If I feel confident in a setup after scouting, will decide based on terrain. The wife will fly out after my hunt to do three national parks.

Zim, you have to remember that on water the more mature Bucks will be in at last light, first light…Also, sometimes middle of the day! If you’ve got a good idea where they’re coming from, I’d set up well into that area, as they may just stage or poke around there before getting to the water…Muley’s are weird though and lil nomads doing their own thing….😁👊🏻🏹
Ya if I can pinpoint a bedding area I will set up close.

Many years ago, a person could catch bucks during archery season making their way up into the pines from the river bottom in the mornings, but I think people activity along that road has put an end to that.
When I was down there in 2012 archery hunting I searched hard for spots to set a stand, but never found anything I had high confidence in.
Once you get down there I’m sure you’ll come up with ideas of how to get after them.
Maybe you can find a big buck or two living just off the main road and setup a stand in a spot where a good buck or two are living.

Don't sit in a tree stand at all you're just limiting yourself from seeing the unit get out and see it it's beautiful down there and there are roads everywhere, and you'll see alot more deer from the road than sitting in one spot in a stand. I feel the very best way to hunt that unit is road hunt and glass open enough areas that you can and plan stalks accordingly.

Whatever hunting style you decide to hunt your buck with, Ken, have fun and enjoy as it was what? 28 years of points to draw the dang tag.

Travel safe,

Robb

I want to say that 28 years to wait on a deer tag is crazy, but I am sitting at 13 deer points in Colorado, so I am almost halfway to crazy. lol

Best of luck on your tag Zim. Can't wait to hear the story!

Don't sit in a tree stand at all you're just limiting yourself from seeing the unit get out and see it it's beautiful down there and there are roads everywhere, and you'll see alot more deer from the road than sitting in one spot in a stand. I feel the very best way to hunt that unit is road hunt and glass open enough areas that you can and plan stalks accordingly.
Yes just siding this route. Keep in mind both my Achilles are torn, one very painful, recent torn meniscus in right knee swells up, plus heart failure.

^^^^^^
wow Sounds like its going to be tough on you no matter how you do it zim..good luck to ya..I'm sure you'll find one or two decent ones you'll be able hunt easy enough

With all that going on it looks like you have no choice. Geez forget the tree stand and get a blind with an easy chair. There are trails where the deer frequent, but a whole bunch of area where they are sparse. That is big country. Scout, scout, scout. Had some friends come out from back East one year. The only way they liked to hunt was in a tree stand. Got them set up where the deer were passing thru. Saw the little ones, but no big ones. They said it sure isn't like hunting Whitetail. Not nearly as much activity. All that said, in your predicament, I may see what is around the Pink Cliffs area. That may be one of the better bets for blind hunting. Just remember one thing, Pauns deer have more intelligence than the average Mule Deer. :)

Last edited:
Zim, Just enjoy and have fun. Honestly, too many people put too much pressure on themselves to do that. Good luck no matter how you hunt it!

As others have mentioned and I have told you in this thread and several others previously, your best bet is going to be slow-cruising the roads on your e-bike given your health issues. You will see more deer this way and increase your odds. Much more so than sitting in a treestand.

I would still take your treestands and set them up in some likely areas so you have multiple methods to hunt, but slow rolling the roads on your e-bike is really a great way to cover country and see bucks.

Hey Zim!

Just A Little Something To Think About!

There's Still Some Big Bucks On The PAUNS!

I'd Pay Some Close Attention To The Tracks Down There,You May Not See The Bucks But I'm Telling You When You See A BIG Buck Track You're Gonna Know It,There's Still A Few Of Them BRUISERS Around!

One Of The Last Places/Units I Know Of In This State That Are Still Packin Some Body Weight To Them!

Yes just siding this route. Keep in mind both my Achilles are torn, one very painful, recent torn meniscus in right knee swells up, plus heart failure.
Wow that does sound rough and painful, is it more painful to climb in and out of a tree stand or cruise around in a truck or sxs? Not sounding ignorant just asking I would think climbing would hurt the Achilles pretty bad. Or is it the possible stalk you're worried about if you saw one from the truck? I've seen numerous 180 type bucks down there that have let me get out of my sxs and draw back on them right from the road. Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing what you end up harvesting.

Wow that does sound rough and painful, is it more painful to climb in and out of a tree stand or cruise around in a truck or sxs? Not sounding ignorant just asking I would think climbing would hurt the Achilles pretty bad. Or is it the possible stalk you're worried about if you saw one from the truck? I've seen numerous 180 type bucks down there that have let me get out of my sxs and draw back on them right from the road. Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing what you end up harvesting.
It’s not a problem for me to ascend a tree in my Lone Wolf Assault climber. It would if I used stix.

My last two hunts were CO & WY for elk, and both were quite difficult for me. Nothing like my prior hardcore DIY hunts. My solo backpack days are definitely over with. I’ve altered most my applications to grampa units. On my CO hunt I biked in two miles, hiked another two, and got on a 400” bull w/6 satellites & 30 cows. And my legs were in such pain I could only shuffle around that bull like Joe Biden. It was beyond frustrating. I’d only seen two other elk that size in 30 years.

Last edited:
Got a few last minute supplies in the mail last few days. One being a mini-Starlink. Last item is a portable generator to arrive Monday. Visited bow shop again for new bow sight tuning. Will start packing truck Monday. Can’t believe it’s already time to go. Departing Thursday morning.

Got a few last minute supplies in the mail last few days. One being a mini-Starlink. Last item is a portable generator to arrive Monday. Visited bow shop again for new bow sight tuning. Will start packing truck Monday. Can’t believe it’s already time to go. Departing Thursday morning.
Let us know how it goes. Best of luck!! It is an amazing place to visit and hunt.

Good luck.
Check out the clear cut areas on the mid level. When I had my Muzzleloader tag a few years ago I was down scouting the opening weekend of the archery hunt and I saw several shooter bucks out feeding in the clear cuts. I also saw lots of the outfitters in that mid level. I figured there must be a reason they were there.
The mid level is also pretty mild as far as terrain goes. You should be able to do some spot and stalks without over exerting yourself.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom