Paunsagaunt archery elk

elkhuntn247

is it possible? my friend has 4 points.. he is not picky.. wants to hunt before utah screws everything up... I take the hunting would mostly be on water

I dont think you would be hunting much water on the pauns. there is so much water it is unlikely to kill a bull off water. last year was the first year in 5 years that some one has killed a bull on the archery elk hunt there. it is a very tough hunt. There are alot of people that camp and ride wheelers all through that country, so it makes elk alot tougher to find. aswell as being able to jump over onto the park side where it is safe.

I personally have 8 points and would never go for the Paunsagaunt elk. I did see about 8 or 9 bulls on the unit during my moms rifle deer hunt on there this year...but they were always running. The rifle hunt on there is the only hunt worth hunting when it comes to elk. A lot of people hunt up on east fork around Tropic Reservoir, and even more people go four-wheeling up there. I saw several elk in the lower areas around mill creek. As far as hunting on water, try a different unit. I would recommend on of the following units. But remember that the state really isn't going to screw up the archery elk too bad, I think they are going to take away like 10 days in August and move it a few days closer to the rut. Personally I like the idea, because the elk are hard to get near in August...but some people get really lucky and get one in the velvet.

With four points your buddy could draw Cache North, Central Mountains Nebo, South Slope Diamond Mountain and the Pauns.

Personally I would go for Nebo, then Cache North. I live in Logan, and saw most of the elk on the Cache South this year, but there are some on the North. Nebo gave out 31 archery elk tags last season for a reason, there are a lot of elk.

I would do Nebo if your buddy doesn't want to wait any longer.

Dillon

ok thanks. I hunted the Dutton with my dad and our guide didn't have anything to say about the pauns....

I have talked to him about the cash units and the nebo too.
I haven't been hearing anything good about the nebo?

I had a Paunsagaunt elk tag in 07.....what a waste of points and days off work, never even put an arrow on the string. I was very disappointed and echo what has already been said. Tons of people, 4 wheelers, campers, and no elk. Don't waste your points hunting elk here, I have had better hunts on a general area.... just my two cents worth.

I drew it with 2 points in '08. I had multiple opportunities. I also hunted the pauns for archery elk twice with the ar301 tag. If you know the area you can be in elk most days. This is the biggest clusterfreak though as far as people blowing your stalk. Rubys Inn runs so many tourists through there on ATV's. Plus forget Labor day weekend there's a big cross country horse race and it gets crowded. I had people on horses blow a great opportunity on a sneak I was putting on two nice bedded bulls.

If you do draw the tag pm me. One other thing that messed up one morning for me was the idiot in the dodge cummins that would pull over every couple hundred yards and bugle out the window. What a tard. I'm sure elk know that bulls don't drive dodge's, they drive fords.

One other thing
>that messed up one morning
>for me was the idiot
>in the dodge cummins that
>would pull over every couple
>hundred yards and bugle out
>the window. What a tard.
>I'm sure elk know that
>bulls don't drive dodge's, they
>drive fords.

them POS dodges mess everything up.....

Don't waste 4 points on the Pauns. Any other unit in the area is better than the Pauns Archery Elk.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom